The YA and Middle Grade Fiction Group discussion

writing prompts > Story Dice - a creative writing prompt app

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 187 comments My brother recently introduced me to an app that's both a fun way to pass some time, and a great tool to either encourage creative thinking, or help you out if you've got writers' block.

It's called Story Dice, and is available from the Apple app store.

The idea is that you roll some "dice" and get given some items that have to appear in a story you make up. You can roll any number of "dice" you choose, from 1 to 10.

What's great about this app... Besides the fact it's a lot of fun, and potentially useful... Is that the items appear as pictographs, making the app accessable to children who haven't yet learned to read properly. But, it's compatible enough with Apple's voiceover software that it's also accessable to the visually impaired, since the voiceover software is able to read the pictographs as words. This means that the app is quite literally accessable to anyone from three years and up, as long as at least one member of the group has access to an iPhone or iPad of some sort.

They suggest it for use in story circles, and that kind of thing... There are more suggestions on ways to use it on the description page of the app store. My brother and I spent an entertaining and fun hour playing with it, just making up flash fiction on the spot to go with the "dice" we rolled.

There's also a version called Spooky dice, which has a few "dice" that the original version doesn't, but is listed as being suitable for children aged nine years and over, due to the fact some of the "dice" exclusive to the Spooky Dice version are a bit graphic for younger children. Another difference with this version is that your maximum number of dice is 3 per roll, rather than the maximum of 10 you get per roll in the original version.

message 2: by A.T. (new)

A.T. Baron | 4 comments That sounds like fun. I can imagine a bunch of kids, sitting around a table, making up stories. It would get them away from the TV, except they would still have their devices. Well, I guess it's a start. As long as they are being creative.

Do you know if it comes in an Android version?

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 187 comments A.T. wrote: "That sounds like fun. I can imagine a bunch of kids, sitting around a table, making up stories. It would get them away from the TV, except they would still have their devices. Well, I guess it's a ..."

Absolutely... At least they would still be doing something creative with their devices.

I think it is available in an android version, though I'm not 100% certain.

The app store link for it is https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/story...