Children's Books discussion

Fun And Games > Story Dice

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited Feb 25, 2016 04:24PM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 775 comments Mod
This isn't exactly a game for this group to play as such, but it's something you can have fun with, so I'm posting it here.

Anyway...

My brother recently introduced me to an app that's both a fun way to pass some time, and a great tool to either encourage creative thinking, or help you out if you've got writers' block.

It's called Story Dice, and is available from the Apple app store.

The idea is that you roll some "dice" and get given some items that have to appear in a story you make up. You can roll any number of "dice" you choose, from 1 to 10.

What's great about this app... Besides the fact it's a lot of fun, and potentially useful... Is that the items appear as pictographs, making the app accessable to children who haven't yet learned to read properly. But, it's compatible enough with Apple's voiceover software that it's also accessable to the visually impaired, since the voiceover software is able to read the pictographs as words. This means that the app is quite literally accessable to anyone from three years and up, as long as at least one member of the group has access to an iPhone or iPad of some sort.

They suggest it for use in story circles, and that kind of thing... There are more suggestions on ways to use it on the description page of the app store. My brother and I spent an entertaining and fun hour playing with it, just making up flash fiction on the spot to go with the "dice" we rolled.

There's also a version called Spooky dice, which has a few "dice" that the original version doesn't, but is listed as being suitable for children aged nine years and over, due to the fact some of the "dice" exclusive to the Spooky Dice version are a bit graphic for younger children. Another difference with this version is that your maximum number of dice is 3 per roll, rather than the maximum of 10 you get per roll in the original version.

message 2: by Victoria (new)

By the way, the app store link for Story Dice is https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/story...

Spooky Dice is mentioned on the page, so you can easily link to that from the link in this post.

message 3: by E.C. (new)

E.C. Kraeft (goodreadscomeckraeft) | 7 comments Victoria wrote: "This isn't exactly a game for this group to play as such, but it's something you can have fun with, so I'm posting it here.

Anyway...

My brother recently introduced me to an app that's both a fun..."

Victoria, I love this idea of the story dice for my classroom and for my own children. From the description I visualize lots of predicting and inferring for children. I want to mention the idea in my Goodreads group Reading tips for Parents and will send all the credit for the discovery to you in Children's Books group. Thank you.

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Glad to help!

I'm always happy to try and encourage creativity in children, especially when it comes to reading, writing, and storytelling in any other shape or form.

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Yes, I'm sure he will. I know I wish this had been around when I was a little one.

Actually, I've played with it several times since I found out about it, and even have a story coming out in a couple of weeks that was created after playing with this app.