Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 Weekly checkins > Week 8: 2/19-2/25

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Feb 25, 2016 05:44PM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments I've spent most of the day sick in bed and the rest of the day thinking it was Wednesday so my apologies for the delay in opening this thread.

Happy week 8 my fellow book lovers.

How has your progress come along?

I am thisclose to finishing Scarlet though not yet certain where I'll slot it: dystopian, sci-fi, so many options.

ETA: Finished Scarlet. I'm at 12/41 now.

Thegirlintheafternoon I'm at 11/41 now! Finished two books for this challenge this week: Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation for "a book by a comedian" (I listened to it on audiobook, and Aisha Tyler read it wonderfully, even if I'm a little tired of "comedian talks about The Meaning and Importance of Comedy" as a genre) and The Canterville Ghost for "a book at least 100 years older than you" (more of a short story than a book, but it was amusing enough).

I started The Host but got distracted by books for other challenges. Hope to finish it up over the weekend! I'd planned it for my "romance set in the future," and I think that's where I'll keep it, but it's tempting to make it my 600+ pager instead.

message 3: by Katherine (last edited Feb 25, 2016 05:37PM) (new)

Katherine (kiik) | 158 comments This week, I read The Elite (The Selection, #2). Definitely stayed up late trying to finish that one. It's just such a fun, easy read. I think I filed this one under YA bestseller.

I also read Outliers: The Story of Success (New York Times bestseller), which I enjoyed overall, but the whole idea of luck determining such a big part of our lives was a bit depressing, especially when I'm already struggling with a big lack of motivation these days.

message 4: by Sara (last edited Feb 26, 2016 05:28AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I have finally made some progress this week. I finished Ready Player One for my sci-fi book and A Man Called Ove for my book translated to English (from Swedish).

Currently I am reading The Lord of the Rings (not quite sure what's gotten into me, but I'm giving it a try anyway), All the Bright Places for my YA bestseller, and In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex for my National Book Award winner (I abandoned it a couple weeks ago but my niece convinced me to give it another try. I just skipped the parts that described killing animals :(

I'm at 13/41

message 5: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 19 comments I made some good progress this week.

[x] 1. A book based on a fairy tale - The Sleeper and the Spindle
[x] 6. A book translated to English - One Hundred Years of Solitude
[x] 18. A book that's more than 600 pages - The Other Boleyn Girl
[x] 19. A book from Oprah's Book Club - The Twelve Tribes of Hattie

It puts me at 23/41. Over half way there!

message 6: by seejacread (new)

seejacread (seejacrun) | 2 comments I read The Martian by Andy Weir. Not a fan of science fiction but I am able to check that category off my list! I did enjoy it even though the chemistry and rocket science stuff was way over my head. Now I can watch the movie. Love Matt Damon! I also learned that the author had self-published the book before it hit big, so kudos to him.

message 7: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
I am 17/41 (wow! I didn't realize I'd completed 17 categories!!). This week I read two books for the Challenge:

based on a fairy tale: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. I LOVED this book, and gave it ALL THE STARS. However, I'm not really sure if it's "fair" to use it for "based on" a fairy tale, because it's not so much based on a classic story, but rather it is its own fairy tale, new and fresh, but following rules we are all familiar with from old fairy tales. Anyway, I was reading it no matter what, and decided to check off this prompt with it. Maybe I'll read a book later that is actually "based on" a fairy tale, and use that one instead.

I also read the prequel to "The Girl Who Circumnavigated ..." which is The Girl Who Ruled Fairyland - For a Little While. I already ready my book and a prequel, so this didn't count for anything, but I mention it anyway in case someone else can use the info.

guaranteed to bring joy: A Lady Awakened I read a fluffy romance by an author I like for this one, since I was looking for something light. I don't know if this really brought my joy, I liked it but I didn't love it. But we all know there are no guarantees in life, right?

Currently, I'm working on books for science fiction, 100 years older than me, and set on an island. I ought to have at least two of those completed by next week!

message 8: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments I am at 9/41.

I finished a book by a comedian Étoiles tombantes. I didn't like it very much. Few years ago I read other books from this author and they were good and funny, but not that one unfortunatly.

Now I am reading Oryx and Crake for romance set in the future. I like it so far.

message 9: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments 7/42 for me.

Finished Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail for the Oprah's Book club. It was Meh for me - I would have never picked it up if it wasn't for the challenge. I want to watch the movie now.

I also finished re-reading Cinder but I'm not using re-reads for the challenge. There were so many little details that I forgot. Now I'm working on re-readingScarlet and I'm on the wait list for a bunch of books from the library.

message 10: by Linnie (new)

Linnie | 45 comments Still 5/41....

I didn't have any progress this week because school reading became a large mountain that I have not quite crawled out of. I was about halfway through The Nightingale but had to return it to the library because 400 people were on hold for it. So putting that one on hold until later. I am now about 1/3 through Cinder and am hoping to finish that over the weekend! I am definitely in need of a mental health day....one that consists only of my comfy sweats and books.

message 11: by Mike (last edited Feb 26, 2016 07:40AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments I finished Beauty Queens for my Book That Takes Place on an Island.

Almost finished with An Abundance of Katherines for my road trip book. I've found that while there is a road trip in it, the trip only lasts about a day in book time, and is over by chapter 4 or 5 when they reach a place where they stay a while. Not sure if it really should count, but I'm counting it!

10/41 finished.

message 12: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments 16/82 now. Read this week:

✅34. A book from the library: Jean-Jacques Schuhl, Rose poussière , Gallimard, 1972.

Not going to the local library that much, except to the youth section with my son, and to the music section that's downstairs from the youth section, to borrow CDs. They have a few music oriented books there, including this crazy "novel" from the early Seventies - a pretty good read actually.

✅36. A book about a road trip (2): Peter Handke, La courte lettre pour un long adieu , Folio, 1986, traduit de l'allemand (éd. orig. 1972).

Another crazy book from the early seventies (a bit less crazy - or crazy in an Austrian way maybe). I was reading this book for the "book you haven't read since high school" prompt, but (1) I can't be sure wether I got it when in high school or when I went to college; (2) I'm pretty sure I didn't read this book before. So I switched it to the "road trip" prompt since that's what it is about. Since I'm reading two books per prompt, I had one slot left! :)

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I am at 8/41 now. I finished Bossypants by Tina Fey for my "book written by a comedian." It was funny and I related to it in a lot of ways but at the same time it was choppy and I didn't really feel like I learned anything about her life so much as her comedy.

I read Red Queen and Cruel Crown by Victoria Aveyard for my "book and a prequel." I loved loved loved Red Queen and I can't wait to read the next in the series. I was a conversely underwhelmed by the two short stories as prequels. They weren't stories about characters I really cared to learn more about but, oh well. They were quick and it's done.

I've already started reading Cress by Marissa Meyer which wasn't part of my original plan but I'm going to slot it for "romance set in the future."

message 14: by Jillian (last edited Feb 26, 2016 10:16AM) (new)

Jillian I'm now at 26/40 tasks done. I did decide to interpret tasks 37 a bit differently. I learned quite a bit about the culture of fonts, typefaces and the culture of graphic design. I thought Behind the Beautiful Forevers was excellent if anyone was looking for a National Book Award it would also work in task 37. it is about the slums in Mumbai India.

2. A National Book Award winner-Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo National Book Award for Non-Fiction (2012) 2/25/16

27. A murder mystery- Poppy Done to Death by Charlaine Harris 2/19/16

29. A dystopian novel- The Heir by Kiera Cass 2/20/16

35. An autobiography-The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey 2/22/16

37. A book about a culture you're unfamiliar with- (culture of typography/font/typeface) Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield 2/23/16

message 15: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5484 comments Mod
I read Sound of a Wild Snail several years ago, and it was such a SPECIAL book, it really stayed with me, and to this day it will pop into my head at the oddest moments. I wish there were more books like that!! The only other one I've ever read is Mirabelle Osler's "A Gentle Plea for Chaos."

I'd love it if anyone could recommend any other similar books!!!

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holbrook (jessicalh08) | 86 comments I'm 5/41! So glad I was able to get another book in this week!

I read Never Let Me Go for my Dystopian Novel and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

I hope March will be a month that I'll get 4-5 books read and then maybe I won't feel so behind. haha.

message 17: by Kaci (new)

Kaci | 67 comments Finished The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks this week for my book recommended by a family member (and a lot of friends too). It was fine- nothing spectacular and not something that made me like Nicholas Sparks anymore than I had. I'm not a huge fan but my friends and family are trying so hard to get me on the bandwagon ;) That brings me to 5/40 but I'm catching up after spending weeks on Outlander.

message 18: by Jillian (new)

Jillian Nadine wrote: "I read Sound of a Wild Snail several years ago, and it was such a SPECIAL book, it really stayed with me, and to this day it will pop into my head at the oddest moments. I wish there were more book..."

Have you looked at microhistory books? I discovered them last year and really enjoy the in-depth look at a subject.

message 19: by Brandy (new)

Brandy B (bybrandy) | 258 comments This past week I read 3

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr which I think I used for set in Eruope but it also has a blue cover. I swear half the books I've read this year have had a blue cover. Watch me get to the blue cover prompt and have to do some shuffling because there are no more blue books on my TBR list.

Candide by Voltaire which I read for book under 150 pages but is also a satire and can be read in a day. I was impressed by how well this book held up for a book originally published in 1759.

And I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Sheffer and Annie Barrows which I read for another challenge (Around the Year in 52 Books book about books) but it would work here for book set in Europe or book set on an island.

I enjoyed most of this book. I really was interested in all of the island residents and their experiences during the occupation but towards the end they sort of dropped all that to focus on resolving the main character's love life, and I was way less interested in that.

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele Sorensen (majkmom4) I'm at 16/41 so far. This week I finished The One, Happily Ever After, The Heir, The Heart Goes Last, The Queen of the Tearling, and A Work in Progress.

I've read 26 books so far this year. Not all have been for the popsugar challenge. I am now working on 5 challenges. Crazy, I know. LOL But it's so much fun!

message 21: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (simmyreads) | 11 comments I'm plodding along with The Return of the King, which I'm reading for the classic of the 20th century (I think). I've lost track. :-)

I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks, and have a few papers to write for school before then. In addition, there is work, so reading for pleasure is going to have to wait till the papers are done and I'm on an airplane.

I think I've read 14, so I have a bit of wiggle room.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2 comments My first post here though I've been using the list threads to get ideas for prompts.

I'm at 6/41 without making much effort to chose reads FOR specific categories.

4. A book you haven't read since high school
Revisited Split Infinity, book 1 of a series I flew through in high school.

8. A book set in Europe
Face Down Upon an Herbal

18. A book that's more than 600 pages
Wolf Hall

27. A murder mystery
Death at Wentwater Court

30. A book with a blue cover
Gathering Blue

39. A book that takes place on an island
Flying Too High

Nadine and Jillian - I've bookmarked The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating for either my autobiography OR recommended by someone you just met. Sounds really interesting so thank you!

message 23: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne  (rkmorita) | 41 comments 10/41

10 categories completed thus far, 3 for this week including the months "specialized category" in honor of Valentine's Day; a romance set in the future. "The Elite" by Kiera Cass. Also my book from the library "Aloha From Hell" by Richard Kadrey (even if many of my books are from the library) and an unexpected find for a book set in the summer (so far, it could change) "Something Strange & Deadly" by Susan Dennard.

Working on the scifi book & a book set in my home state. Trying to get past the tedious banking stuff to get to the good stuff of "girl w/ the dragon tattoo" for my book translated to English.

message 24: by Fran (new)

Fran G | 37 comments Jillian wrote: "I'm now at 26/40 tasks done. I did decide to interpret tasks 37 a bit differently. I learned quite a bit about the culture of fonts, typefaces and the culture of graphic design. I thought Behind th..."

I read Behind the Beautiful Forever also and thought it was very well done. Sad but interesting

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.