Addicted to YA discussion

Miscellaneous > What does "young adult" even mean?!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teymour (new)

Teymour Shahabi (teymourshahabi) Hello fellow YA addicts,

I just made a short YouTube video trying to define what "young adult" means... (What it is, and what it's not!) Would love your thoughts: how would you define YA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjYDG...

Teymour Shahabi
www.youtube.com/PageWingChannel

message 2: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 129 comments Ha, ha, Teymour I absolutely love your energy! You are a hoot. A couple quick points: 1. According to traditional publishers in order for a book to be classified YA, the majority of the characters in the book must be typical high school age AND going through a coming of age of some sort. 2. Technically, according to Bisac, YA is a genre with subgenres of fantasy, sci-fi, contemporary, mystery, etc. Although YA type books have been around forever, it has only recently (last 15 years or so?) become a genre category. But for a layman's definition, or even for an avid reader's definition, you did a great job! I look forward to more of your fun and energetic vlogs!

message 3: by Teymour (new)

Teymour Shahabi (teymourshahabi) Heidi wrote: "Ha, ha, Teymour I absolutely love your energy! You are a hoot. A couple quick points: 1. According to traditional publishers in order for a book to be classified YA, the majority of the characters ..."

Hello Heidi (starting with "Hey" or "Hi" seemed to get me in trouble), thanks so much for your kind words and your insights. I hope we get to discuss more of our favorite topics in the future!

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 129 comments I think I will thoroughly enjoy that!