YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Books for 11 to 12 year-olds starting YA

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R (last edited Feb 25, 2016 03:15PM) (new)

R (theravengirl) | 32 comments Hello! I'm looking for books to recommend to 11-12 year olds or fifth and sixth grade. This is where kids are just beginning to turn to Young Adult novels and wane from the children's books.
Violence is fine, as long as it is not extremely bloody (The Hunger Games was completely allowed).
However, sexuality needs to be low. I would allow hopefully only 1-2 kisses (per book if it's a series) that do not go into strong
explicit detail (i.e., Cassandra Clare is prohibited). Sweet, innocent love stories are welcomed though. Divergent would be acceptable in this case, to provide an example. Twilight is not allowed, though.
Language should be kept to a minimum as well. The D-word should be the highest it goes up to, with exceptions for very valiant purposes.
Thank you guys so much and any and all recommendations are welcome!! I'll take as many as I can get :)
-R

message 2: by linda (new)

linda | 85 comments Percy Jackson Series
Life as We Knew It (kind of depressing though)
The House of Scorpion
Maximum Ride series
Out of My Mind
Stargirl
Seraphina
The Maze Runner
I read the Ugly Series in the 6th grade and it was assigned
I don't remember the content though, but I think it should be fine.

message 3: by Melanie (last edited Feb 29, 2016 11:02PM) (new)

Melanie Cellier Yeah, from my memory, the Uglies series should be fine. Also the Leviathan series by the same author (Scott Westerfeld).

Ally Carter's books (Gallagher Girls, Heist Society and Embassy Row series)

Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce (although later companion series have older content)

Also fairy tale retellings (eg Jessica Day George, Robin McKinley, Gail Carson Levine)

message 5: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanlily195) | 96 comments Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
I personally really enjoyed the series. I think I started reading it when I was 15, but I think it's okay for teens that are a bit younger than that.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Dealing With Dragons by CW Wrede (and the other three books in the quartet)

Tamora Pierce's Tortall books. Personally my favorites were the Wild Magic quartet and the Beka Cooper books.

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones

I think also the Selection series was fairly toned down in terms of explicit detail.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments We have lots of boys at this top end reading the Spooks series by Joseph Delaney.

message 9: by Jasmine (last edited Mar 26, 2016 11:15PM) (new)

Jasmine (jassimplyreads) | 38 comments Highly recommend Magic Tree house series or anything from John Green! For example, The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, Will Grayson, Will Grayson. ;)

Oh, and The Hunger Games trilogy as well as Divergent series and Hush, Hush series.

message 10: by Nesha (last edited Mar 28, 2016 03:18PM) (new)

Nesha Dear Killer by Katherine Ewell.

Speaking from an adult's perspective, I didn't really enjoy the book. BUT, I think it would be perfect for young readers making that transition into YA Fiction.

message 11: by Jolake (new)

Jolake Bivins (jolakebivins) | 1 comments Name Brand Matters...Or Does It? by Jolake Bivins - This book is great when it comes to who has what at school. Some of us parents can't afford all name brands. But, in this book, it lets the victims know that they can step up to the plate and go on living.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (MaryTheLiteraryLioness) The Matched series by Ally Conde, the Uglies, The Graveyard book. You cant forget all the Newbury award winners theyre always good for older kids.

message 13: by JoAnna (new)

message 14: by ✨ jami ✨ (new)

✨    jami   ✨ (jamieson_) | 410 comments When I was that age Alex Rider series (Stormbreaker) were my favourite and so was Rober Muchamore's Cherub Series (The Recruit) and Henderson's Boys Series (The Escape)
I also loved any of Ally Carter's books (Heist Society, Gallagher Girls)
and James Patteron's books (Maximum Ride, Witch and Wizard)
Virals - Kathy Reichs, I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore was good
I think Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson would be fine, as well as The 100
My sister loved the Phoenix Files (book 1: Arrival) when she was that age
Other books I remember reading around the time were The Secret Garden, Bridge to Terabithia, Holes, The Capture, The Fire Within

message 15: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (booksloth98) | 13 comments Melanie wrote: "Yeah, from my memory, the Uglies series should be fine. Also the Leviathan series by the same author (Scott Westerfeld).

Ally Carter's books (Gallagher Girls, Heist S..."

Soooo Goood they made me want to be a spy!

message 16: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (booksloth98) | 13 comments linda wrote: "Percy Jackson Series
Life as We Knew It (kind of depressing though)
The House of Scorpion
Maximum Ride series
Out of My Mind
Stargirl
Seraphina
The Maze Runner
I read the Ugly Series in the 6th gra..."

Stargirl is so beautiful

message 17: by Tomos (new)

Tomos Roberts | 8 comments 11-12 good books, Simon Scarrow are fun, Robyn Young books are good. They were the sort of book I was reading back then when I was that age. On a slightly self-promoting line, I have sold quite a lot of my own work to 12-13 year old apparently in my reports. I am not sure if I would suggest them as I feel they are a bit gory, particularly in the battle scenes, but saying that most of this age play Destiny and watch Game of Thrones so what do I know! I hope that helps. If you want to check my most recent book out, the link is below.
The Kingdom of Men

message 18: by Hafsat (new)

Hafsat Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan

message 19: by Hafsat (new)

Hafsat The fault in our stars by John Green

message 20: by Hafsat (new)

Hafsat The Selection by Keira Cass

message 21: by Hafsat (new)

Hafsat A Walk To remember by Nicholas Sparks

message 22: by Hafsat (new)

Hafsat All the bright places by Jennifer Nirven

message 23: by Winnie (new)

Winnie The Harry Potter series
The Hunger Games
The Divergent trilogy
The Legend trilogy
Artemis Fowl
Percy Jackson
Heroes of Olympus
The Maze Runner
The Selection
Maximum Ride
Gallagher Girls
The Lunar Chronicles
Hope that helped with your decision!

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Bell (helenbellauthor) | 3 comments Can I throw in the Skullduggery Pleasant series? (Another kickass heroine and the weirdest hero ever. Good for those who get bored if there's a love interest forever popping up.)

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex (bovinealex) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a really fun read, as are all of Rick Riordan's books, The Door to Time series (it's a little more obscure but it was one of my favorites in middle school), The Eagle of the Ninth (which is historical fiction and maybe a little dense, but it was may favorite novel when I was 11 so I don't think it's too much), and The Book Thief.

message 26: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Alex wrote: "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a really fun read, as are all of Rick Riordan's books, The Door to Time series (it's a little more obscure but it was one of my favorites in middle sc..."
The Book Thief is a good book, but it has a very distinctive writing style that can sometimes be hard to understand.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Knight (Sockio) | 3 comments How about Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard? They have such short chapters and are really easy to read! There is some mild language but it's very mild.

message 28: by Celinda (new)

Celinda Reyes (celindareyesblog) | 16 comments The Christy Miller or Sierra Jensen Series by Robin Jones Gunn is great for that age group. The love stories are very sweet & innocent, also there is no violence or bad language. These are two of my personal favorite series so I highly recommend them to anyone.

message 29: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3530 comments ✔Jasmine✔ wrote: "Highly recommend Magic Tree house series or anything from John Green! For example, The Fault in Our Stars, Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns, [book:Will Gr..."

Hush Hush is too adult for 11 to 12 year olds if I remember correctly.

message 30: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie Vercammen | 3 comments The Apple Tart of Hope by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald ; The Book Thief by Markus Zusak ; Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1) by Kerstin Gier ; Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) by Angie Sage ;

message 31: by Nikki (new)

Nikki H | 1 comments Jenni james books are very clean and cute young adult books and i recommend them Beauty and the BeastPride & Popularity

message 32: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 48 comments What I recommend...
Percy Jackson is great followed by Heroes of Olympus.
Harry Potter obviously
Skulduggery Pleasant
Artemis Fowl

message 33: by Cate (new)

Cate (catebiblio) | 294 comments Melanie Marks books- light romances (you can possibly only get them in e-book format)
Meg Cabot books- All American Girl (not book two though), How to Be Popular, Teen Idol, Princess Diaries series

message 34: by Peter (new)

Peter Miller (peteramiller) | 2 comments My recommendations-
Easy YA contemporary romances such as
Lets Get Lost by Adi Alsaid
The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

message 35: by Bryson (new)

Bryson Arcane | 2 comments The Elementalist Generation It's centered around young teenagers gaining new powers which their turning of powers creates catastrophic events leading to many of the teenagers captures.

Now the main characters have to try and save them and find out why they were giving powers.

message 36: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo Ventura (rodrig007) | 15 comments I would definitely recommend Invisible Lines by Mary Amato.

That Slytherin Girl Reads  (shereadsatnight) | 121 comments The Rithmatist (The Rithmatist, #1) by Brandon Sanderson
A very under-rated fantasy book! It's about chalk.... a very good story about chalk. ^_^

message 38: by Micky Blue Skies (new)

Micky Blue Skies | 1 comments If the Pretty Little Liars books are anything like the television series I would definitely not recommend it for 11 & 12 year olds. While there is no bad language the girls are in high school and they go way beyond a kiss or two.

message 39: by Alisha (new)

Alisha The Pegasus series by Kate O'hearn would be great. The characters are young so there is not too much romance, there are great adventures and it also involves the Roman Gods

message 40: by Janna (new)

Janna Morrow (JANNA_MORROW) | 18 comments Rachel wrote: "Hello! I'm looking for books to recommend to 11-12 year olds or fifth and sixth grade. This is where kids are just beginning to turn to Young Adult novels and wane from the children's books.
Violen..."

Hi, I am a self-published writer. I have two books for teens/tweens available that keeps the sexuality/sensuality factor relatively low. "Dreams May Come" and "Hot Summer Nights" are the titles. Consider following me on my journey. I would recommend "Hot Summer Nights" as it is a relatively short read and it is very appropriate for a younger reader who wants to dabble in "first romance" type of books. Thanks!

message 41: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Cuti | 1 comments Dear Rachel,
I've been writing for comic books for over fifty years and about ten years ago I began publishing my own novels. Here are some series I did for kids in the very category you mentioned. It's sci-fi and the beginning of a series. Take a look and tell me what you think.Starflake on Thrill World Volume One-New: First of Two Volumes

message 42: by Bethany ♡ (new)

Bethany ♡ (bfmmcdermott) The Weirdstone of Brisingamon - Alan Garner
The Moon of Gomrath (the sequel to WOB) - Alan Garner
Ways to see a ghost - Emily Diamond
The lunar chronicles? maybe - melissa meyer
harry potter - jk rowling
the chronicles of narnia - cs lewis
the hobbit - jrr tolkien

i wouldnt exactly call these young adult - more preteen, but theyre good transition books and the sort i wouldve liked to read/did read when i was that age

message 43: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (ladybug105) | 10 comments The Book Thief Is a great book. Full of symbols and no romance. Really good for adding some history too.

message 44: by Clair (new)

Clair St.Claire | 3 comments Hello! One of my favorite books is Eragon. It is the first book in a series of four, The Inheritance Cycle, so it will keep anyone interested for a long time.
My first book just came out as well in August, Some Must Fall (Book One of The Coming Crown). It is a YA Fantasy... which I think would be good for anyone who enjoys Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.
Cheers!

message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Gillian (bekahlouisex) I recently read Once by Morris Gleitzman and I really recommend this. It's only 150 pages long, so it's good for people who perhaps aren't the strongest readers, or aren't that interested in it. It deals with themes about the holocaust, which may make it unsuitable for some younger children, but my 12 year old sister was recently recommended this so I'm sure it won't be too bad. It's a story of friendship, too, which is quite cool.

message 46: by The Chocoholic (new)

The Chocoholic Harry Potter! If they've already read that, get into some of Rick Riordans books.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.