Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > Books for 11 to 12 year-olds beginning YA

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by R (new)

R (theravengirl) | 89 comments Hello! I'm looking for books to recommend to 11-12 year olds or fifth and sixth grade. This is where kids are just beginning to turn to Young Adult novels and wane from the children's books.
Violence is fine, as long as it is not extremely bloody (The Hunger Games was completely allowed).
However, sexuality needs to be low. I would allow hopefully only 1-2 kisses at most that do not go into explicit detail (i.e., Cassandra Clare is prohibited). Sweet, innocent love stories are welcomed though.
Language should be kept to a minimum as well. The D-word should be the highest it goes up to, with exceptions for very valiant purposes.
Thank you guys so much and any and all recommendations are welcome!! I'll take as many as I can get :)
-R

message 2: by Riley (new)

Riley | 197 comments Not my favorite series, but the Maze Runner seems to fit everything you asked for.

message 3: by R (new)

R (theravengirl) | 89 comments Thanks for all the recommendations so far! It's okay if the main characters are older than the reader's age. To provide more examples to stick with, Divergent is on the higher end of the spectrum, but accepted. The Hunger Games is warmly accepted. Twilight is prohibited.

message 4: by Jessica (last edited Feb 25, 2016 07:40PM) (new)

Jessica You could try:
The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver.

message 5: by Shristhi (new)

Shristhi (thebookgodess) Maximum Ride
Percy Jackson

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 27 comments Harry Potter is always a winner in my opinion. :)

message 7: by Dom (new)

Dom | 3 comments Percy Jackson & the Olympians series

The Lightning Thief (2005)
The Sea of Monsters (2006)
The Titan's Curse (2007)
The Battle of the Labyrinth (2008)
The Last Olympian (2009)
also
The Heroes of Olympus series

The Lost Hero (2010)
The Son of Neptune (2011)
The Mark of Athena (2012)
The House of Hades (2013)
The Blood of Olympus (2014)

message 8: by Dom (new)

Dom | 3 comments Oh Harry Potter.
beautiful creature series by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl.
Matched series by ally condie.

message 9: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) | 150 comments Wonder by R.J. Palacio - the main character is a little younger (10), but the story is amazing and, I think, relevant to everyone (even adults).

message 10: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 321 comments If they like fantasy you could try them with Lizbeth Klein's Firelight of Heaven and Greenheart of the Forest. Firelight of Heaven by Lizbeth Klein Greenheart of the Forest by Lizbeth Klein

If they go for something more contemporary, maybe Adele Jones' Integrate and Replicate. Integrate by Adele Jones Replicate by Adele Jones

There's also Dead Man's Switch and Nowhere to Hide by Sigmund Brouwer. Dead Man's Switch by Sigmund Brouwer Nowhere to Hide by Sigmund Brouwer

My trilogy might be okay, although two characters do get married in the third book, and although there's nothing explicit, they do have a conversation in bed in the third book. I'm happy to give you full details on the scene if you need to know more. If you're interested in it you can find out more here: www.lynnestringer.com/verindon

message 11: by BethLee (new)

BethLee | 95 comments Out of My Mind
Anything by Sarah Dessen (maybe not anything, but there are some appropriate books)
Lucy Frank
Jen Calonita
Debbie Viguié
Christopher Paul Curtis
Jack Gantos

message 12: by BethLee (new)

BethLee | 95 comments Oh yeah, I forgot about Flexible Wings. It isn't real popular but is a cute middle grade novel that definitely fits the bill

message 14: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1848 comments The warrior series by Erin hunter Into the Wild (Warriors, #1) by Erin Hunter
The rangers apprentice by John Flanigan The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1) by John Flanagan
Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan ( and probably the other series aswell, just havent read them yet ) The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan
Harry Potter Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling
The Hobbit The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 15: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1248 comments What about Artemis Fowl? How to Train Your Dragon? The Alchemyst?

I haven't read any of these but I know of them. I hope they fit!

message 16: by R (new)

R (theravengirl) | 89 comments All those choices are amazing! Thanks to all who have helped me out!

message 17: by R (new)

R (theravengirl) | 89 comments All those choices are amazing! Thanks to all who have helped me out!

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Doran | 57 comments I would stick with the first three Harry Potter books. the other ones might scare alittle kid. at least I think so

message 19: by Ayan (new)

Ayan | 413 comments Found It's a great series by Margaret Peterson Haddix and its perfect for kids going into YA novels. It's mysterious and adventurous with little romance (from what I remember). I loved how the book included historical fiction in a interesting way (it's about time travel).

message 20: by Booked (new)

Booked | 28 comments Beyond the Cabin It's my favorite 11-year-old's favorite book. :)

message 21: by Justine (new)

Justine Manzano (justine_manzano) It's classified as MG, but I love Loki's Wolves and it's sequels (Series name is The Blackwell Pages). It's a great adventure, with little romance (maybe a little) and is mostly about family. But it's got a great story, heavy with Norse mythology. It felt a little young reading it as an adult, but I still enjoyed it, and I'm sure an 11-12 year old would too.

message 22: by Salome (new)

Salome | 64 comments I think there are lots of great series that can qualify! Here are just a few:
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) by Christopher Paolini
Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1) by Joseph Delaney

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark Evans (marktheflamebook) I actually find this is a very difficult question. I think many times kids in the 11-12 age group are ready for much more adult themes than their parents are. Many times it's more about the parents comfort level than the kids ability to handle material. I rated my book 14 and up so as to not conflict with parents, and yet I have had much younger kids liking the book, and many adults liking it too. Harry Potter is a great example. Some parents would let their kids read it while other were wanting their children to read her works.