THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > GoodReads New Releases

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leona (new)

Leona Keyoko Pink (keyoko) | 5 comments Hello,
I have a question about your new releases. Each month you have a new releases section(February New Releases, March New Releases etc,) I have a book that comes out in April. How do you get on the April New Releases list. Does your book just get added? Or do you need to contact someone?

Thank you for your time.
Keyoko

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:56AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It actually will show--but to be in the emails and on the first few pages of books displayed, It has to get popular or popular in the genre. When people click to explore new releases or new releases by genre (and lots of other areas of goodreads) the books are listed by amount of activity.

If your book isn't showing as in a genre, it needs to be shelved that way by at least two people. (Authors can shelve their books as mystery, thriller, fantasy, romance or whatever just like any other goodreads members and will count as one of the two needed to out book in a genre.)

ETA: I see you did create yourself a shelf "young adult" but doesn't seem to be for books you wrote (you didn't shelve any of the books you wrote on any custom shelf names other than "wrote" -- which isn't one of the new release categories or genres). Young adult is a category with a huge volume of books so if did fit your books I'd still add other genre related shelves.

Any shelves and ratings help increase book's "popularity" by goodreads algorithms (1-star ratings count the same as 5-star ratings as far as goodreads popularity goes) but only custom shelves feed into genre features. (By custom, I mean anything but read, currently reading and to read -- readers shelving your book seem mostly to have shelved as to read.-- which adds to popularity but not to genre)

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:59AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Discoverability is a real hurdle. But, your book really will automatically show in new releases according to which month released -- just not necessarily on the opening pages readers likely view and new release (by genres subscribing members specify) emails include. Definitely helps to get them in appropriate genres. Might help to offer in advance of release month as a goodreads giveaway (which also shows on opening pages of new release explorations), find groups/threads that can connect you with reviewers willing to reviews ARCs so you'll have more pre-release shelvings ...

An example of new releases by "genre" that 3 people put on one of your books -- "Dark":

Main/opening page showing new releases in that genre is at https://www.goodreads.com/genres/dark and followup page(s) and when you click to see more popular new releases, that category is a little used one (more likely for readers to shelve as "dark fantasy" "dark erotica" or "dark whatever") where it only took 2-4 shelvings to put those books on new release.

"Dark" books not new releases, on the other hand, can be explored at https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... starting with ones shelved 752 times, 44 times on page 8 (https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... ) , 5 times in page 72 (https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/... ) ... and so forth. Realistically, not a lot of readers (definitely not the new release emails) will go past the first few pages of display unless some challenge like their group's Bookshelf BINGO makes them.

This month's young adult new releases took a few hundred shelvings. But exploring young adult overall shows books getting tens of thousands of shelvings first to readers. Meaning your book would need to be as or more popular here than Hunger Games, Twilight and Harry Potter to show on first few pages to folks exploring that genre/category.

message 4: by Leona (new)

Leona Keyoko Pink (keyoko) | 5 comments D.A. wrote: "Discoverability is a real hurdle. But, your book really will automatically show in new releases according to which month released -- just not necessarily on the opening pages readers likely view an..."

Thank you for the information. I'm self-published and write in a nitch genre so while it would be nice to be mega popular its not expected. I'd just be super excited if I got on the list. I'm a screen shot junky I love taking screen shots where my stuff shows up. Even if its on the very last page if its still there for me that is a mega accomplishment.

I'll have to see if it shows up in April. Thank you again for your time. I'll look into your links, there are alot of things on goodreads I've yet to delve into and this helps alot.

Have a wondrous day^^

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 26, 2016 03:05PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) Leona wrote: "...Even if its on the very last page if its still there for me that is a mega accomplishment...."

Goodreads lacks a "go to page" type of navigation on most features/screens. For most, go to a page other than first or last and you'll see a page number at the end of the URL/link/address. Change that number to a specific page number to get there. For example, on the shelves and genres if 4 people shelved your book that way you'll want to go past the pages of 5-people shelved the book but before 3 people shelved books ...

Leona wrote: "...in a nitch genre..."

A "nitch genre" means your book will be more likely to be featured in that genre's new releases. I'd definitely shelve it in that nitch as well as other appropriate genres and categories (think of shelves here like other sites use keywords and tags plus as crowdsourcing for the genres).

Good luck!

message 6: by Leona (new)

Leona Keyoko Pink (keyoko) | 5 comments D.A. wrote: "Leona wrote: "...Even if its on the very last page if its still there for me that is a mega accomplishment...."

Goodreads lacks a "go to page" type of navigation on most features/screens. For most..."

Oh wow this is amazing. I didn't quite get what shelves are for but this explication really helps. I've started making a few after your first post and wasn't sure how many would be okay to make but if their like # then I think its okay to make several. Thank you again this means a ton to me. There are a lot of things I don't know and I am always grateful to learn anything I can. Have a fantastically wondrous day^^

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) You're welcome. Keep in mind despite goodreads crowdsourcing genres and stuff that various readers make other uses of shelves for all kinds of purposes and organizational needs (in case any of your books get oddly shelved or you want to make additional shelves for your own needs).

Last I knew, goodreads didn't mind in the least authors shelving their own books appropriately (just considered useful data contribution or just how a member wanted to organize their books).

They'd likely consider it a problem (gaming the system) if someone turned it into something like those horrendous Amazon tag drives where authors campaigned to get massive tagging/shelving on their social media, in author forums/groups, by setting up additional accounts, etc. -- but no worries with just your own shelves (and I'm not directing that at you personally but mentioning in case anyone lurking is considering ...).

message 8: by Leona (new)

Leona Keyoko Pink (keyoko) | 5 comments D.A. wrote: "You're welcome. Keep in mind despite goodreads crowdsourcing genres and stuff that various readers make other uses of shelves for all kinds of purposes and organizational needs (in case any of your..."

Thank you this helps alot. I've messed around with shelving on two of my books so far. Some of them are taking the names while others arnt. I'm assuming if a shelf doesn't already exist it wont put it on. I attempted to make a dark obsession shelf but settled for obsession instead when it wouldn't make it. Thank you again for the help. I love what I do but don't get social aspect very much. A few people reach out to me so I'm trying to work on this more seriously. Just wow there is a lot to it lol.

message 9: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Feb 26, 2016 07:29PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I forgot to add the quick link to monthly new releases in case that helps; for April that's https://www.goodreads.com/new_release... plus exploring genre your book is in and the most popular published in April at https://www.goodreads.com/book/popula...

(in addition to the next/previous navigation on new release page you can change the ending "4" of "h t t p : / / www....new_releases/2016/4 " to desired month so "...new_releases/2016/2" would show this month's, "...new_releases/2016/9" would show September's, etc.)

message 10: by Leona (new)

Leona Keyoko Pink (keyoko) | 5 comments Wow, thank you this is very helpful. You go the distance. I think its cool to see all the different pages goodreads offers. Things I never even knew about. Thank you.

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha Graham-Waldon (marthagw) | 2 comments Leona wrote: "D.A. wrote: "Discoverability is a real hurdle. But, your book really will automatically show in new releases according to which month released -- just not necessarily on the opening pages readers l..."

What if my book never was in "New Releases"? My memoir, Nothing Like Normal came out in Nov 2015 but maybe I did not have a Good Reads account before then. Is there some way to feature it now?

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 34 comments My new book Fifty Shades of Talmud: What the First Rabbis Had to Say about You-Know-What is already on Goodreads, but it is not listed among my books on my Author Dashboard. I want to add an excerpt and discovered the book isn't there.

Can you help?
Maggie Anton

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 332 comments It is on your author list

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

message 14: by Maggie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Maggie Anton | 34 comments I know it's on my author list, but it was NOT on my Author Dashboard list of books [which no one on Goodreads can access except me]. It's there now, so somebody must have seen my posts here and added it.
thanks for the quick work.