Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Ruby Red
Ruby Red, by Kerstin Gier

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lieke (last edited Feb 25, 2016 02:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lieke | 709 comments I read Robijnrood (Dutch version of Ruby red) by Kerstin Gier for 50. A book originally written in a language other than English.
I liked the book a lot, but it is a children's book (advertised as YA but it felt younger to me).
The time traveling was great and luckily not to much teenage romance.

Goodreads summary:
Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I read it last year and enjoyed it, it was easy to read and I had a lot of fun with the paranormal creatures. The sequels were less interesting for me.

As YA are books for 12-18 years old (or something like this), I think the book is in the target, it's probably fine for 12-14 yo in my opinion, I'm not sure it would be appealing for younger children (but not all the kids are the same of course).

message 3: by Lieke (last edited Feb 26, 2016 04:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lieke | 709 comments I agree that the book is probably for 12 - 14 yo, but I always thought YA was 14 - 18 yo so that explains why it didn't feel like YA to me :)

message 4: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 374 comments Hi all, I looked up the genre definition, when I heard of "new adult" the first time. Here it is:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/youn...

And new adult:
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/new-...

Jennifer Maloney (desertrose0601) | 80 comments I'm reading this for #47 - A past suggestion that didn't win (book with a color in the title)

I've had this on my TBR pile for awhile. For some reason I never read the synopsis and had assumed, based on the cover, that it was a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. Now that I'm actually reading it though, I'm really excited to discover that it's about time travel! That's a subject I always enjoy, but don't read enough of.

I'm halfway through this book, which I checked out from the library, and it's so good that I went ahead and ordered the entire series from Amazon, so I can keep them!