2016 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Morris Awards

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments Have you read the Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly? I am anxious to hear what others think. It is a story about blind faith, following blindly, and then having the blinders lifted. What happens next? I think Minnow is a fascinating well-defined character, along with her cell mate Angel, and her "counselor" Wilson.

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 15 comments Julie wrote: "Have you read the Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly? I am anxious to hear what others think. It is a story about blind faith, following blindly, and then having the blinders lifted. What happens next? I th..."

That does sound interesting. I'll have to add that to my list of books to read!

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily Childress-Campbell (ms_librarian_) | 5 comments I loved this book. It was a tough read and I often felt like I was having to suspend my disbelief about the beliefs of the cult, but I'm sure this was intentional on the author's part to show the depth of the brainwashing. I had the same feelings about the level of violence. And, Julie I definitely agree with you about the complexity of the characters, particularly Angel.

message 4: by Lucie (new)

Lucie | 5 comments Emily wrote: "I loved this book. It was a tough read and I often felt like I was having to suspend my disbelief about the beliefs of the cult, but I'm sure this was intentional on the author's part to show the d..."

I also thought it was a tough read. Certainly the characters were well developed, and I loved the interactions with Angel. I am on the fence about the violence though - I can't decide whether it was over the top or not. Sometimes it seemed gratuitous, even though I understood there was a need to describe the horror and to even shock the reader. I felt weird reading it and the unbelievable gruesomeness kind of took me out of the story.

The parts in the prison reminded me of "The Walls Around Us" which also came out recently. Perhaps I am just overdosing on women's prisons in YA fiction!

We will be getting this book soon at my branch so I will be curious to hear teen reactions.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments I'll be curious to hear your teen reactions. I teach sixth grade and think they are a little too young to handle it so far. And, yes, I agree with Emily that the violence was tough to handle! Her poor hands! What made it hardest for me was the passivity of the others in the cult, especially her mother. How in the world could you allow anyone to cut off your daughter's hands? I think I would find a way to leave. And like Emily says, it was probably just to demonstrate how susceptible the group members were to brainwashing.