2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2016 > Belinda's 50 Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Belinda (last edited Aug 01, 2016 03:00PM) (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) My name is Belinda, I work full time along with being a full time wife and mom to 4 little girls (ages 2 to 11). When I was younger I would devour books all the time but as I got older the internet took more interest. Now my time is spent between work, kids, books, and TV. I have found most of my TV watching is done while I bake or cook for my family (unless I am lucky to have found an audiobook from the local library, then I am listening to that instead). Which frees up my night when I can't sleep to read, especially now that I got a book light from my mom for Christmas. Our bedroom doesn't have a lamp, just one overhead light. Saturday Nights I really dive into a book, my husband, Michael, goes to bed at 8 PM and so do the girls, since I want to be in bed with him. I curl up with a book and my new book light!

I keep changing my mind on how many books to read, first it was 36, then it was 40, and I am now going to leave it at 50. I am off to a good start continuing to read books by Beverly Lewis right now. But I think after I finish the book I am currently on I am going to read something else that I haven't read before, like Secret Garden to A Little Princess before starting the next set of Beverly Lewis books.

So far this year I have read

Sanctuary by Beverly Lewis Rating: 3/5 stars | The Covenant (Abram's Daughters, #1) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Betrayal (Abram's Daughters, #2) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
The Sacrifice (Abram's Daughters, #3) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Prodigal (Abram's Daughters, #4) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Revelation (Abram's Daughters, #5) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
A Little Princess; being the whole story of Sara Crewe now told for the first time by Frances Hodgson Burnett Rating: 3/5 stars | The Basement by Chad P. Brown Rating: 2/5 stars | The Doll by J.C. Martin Rating: 1/5 stars
The Preacher's Daughter (Annie's People, #1) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Englisher (Annie's People, #2) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Brethren (Annie's People, #3) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
When I Grow Up by Al Yankovic Rating: 5/5 stars | The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett Rating: 5/5 stars | The Parting (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #1) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Longing (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #3) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | Heidi by Johanna Spyri Rating: 5/5 stars
The Secret (Seasons of Grace, #1) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Missing (Seasons of Grace, #2) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Telling (Seasons of Grace, #3) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #1) by Adriana Trigiani Rating: 2/5 stars | The Thorn (Rose Trilogy, #1) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Judgment (Rose Trilogy, #2) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
The Mercy (Rose Trilogy, #3) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap A Memoir of Friendship, Community, and the Uncommon Pleasure of a Good Book by Wendy Welch Rating: 4/5 stars | The Fiddler (Home to Hickory Hollow #1) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
The Bridesmaid (Home to Hickory Hollow, #2) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 4/5 stars | The Guardian (Home to Hickory Hollow #3) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | The Secret Keeper (Home to Hickory Hollow #4) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars
The Last Bride (Home to Hickory Hollow, #5) by Beverly Lewis Rating: 5/5 stars | Child of Mine by David Lewis Rating: 3/5 stars |

Currently Reading: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome to the group, Belinda, and good luck with your challenge!

message 3: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done! WHOO HOO! I am taking a break from Beverly Lewis and reading A Little Princess, it is one of my all time favorite movies and I can't wait to see how the book is!

message 4: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) I just finished another book and two short stories (eBooks on my Kindle)! Keep moving right along. Back into Beverly Lewis for her next three books!

message 5: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4554 comments Doing great! :) I loved The Secret Garden, need to read A Little Princess too!

message 6: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) I rarely say this, but the movie was better than the book in the case of A Little Princess

message 7: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book finish Saturday, it took a little bit to get back in the grove of reading Beverly Lewis but now on to the next book in the trilogy!

message 8: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) I just finished another book, it didn't take me anytime getting into this book. Maybe I shouldn't take a break in between Beverly Lewis books. I'll rethink it once I finish the last book in the series.

message 9: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done! I am loving this group and loving Goodreads, last year I was just kind of "ho hum" about reading and this year I am flying through books trying to meet my goals!

message 10: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4554 comments Amazing progress! ^^

message 11: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book finished and The Secret Garden was amazing! My favorite version of the movie has Maggie Smith in and I think the movie did a great job. The book and my favorite movie are equally amazing! I have the next book, but I left it at home, so I will have to wait til I get home to read. Unless I find a free romance novel for the Kindle! :-) Most I can find are part of a series and only one book is free.

message 12: by Nancy85 (new)

Nancy85 (nancymarie85) | 926 comments Good job. I also love that version of The Secret Garden with Maggie Smith.

message 13: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done, it took me a little while. It seems once I get started then I can't stop but that get started part seems to take a little time. I know I will finish this book in no time!

Anyone have a problem when you are reading a particular series or genre you tend to pick up the language? I have found myself saying "Denki" instead of "thanks" since I have started reading these Amish books! LOL!

message 14: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Sometimes that happens to me! It happens to me more with people I hear in real life, though. Sometimes I'll pick up a speech pattern from a teacher, or an accent from a place I visit. It's kind of bizarre.

message 15: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) I do that too! I work with someone who is British and I pick up her accent by the end of the work day, she hears it and starts laughing!

message 16: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4554 comments Lol I do too, only escpecially tone of voice and special things people tend to say. Good to know others do too :P

message 17: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Already finished the next book!

message 18: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book finished, since these Amish books talk about sweets so much I found a recipe for Sour Cream Chocolate Chip cookies, they were really good, crunchy, but good. Now to take an Amish break and read Heidi! :-)

message 19: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) I love Heidi! I am glad that A Little Princess did not turn me off from reading the classics because The Secret Garden and Heidi were WONDERFUL!

message 20: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) On to my next book!

message 21: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done, at this rate I might actually read MORE then 50 books this year. My two older girls are having fun also doing goodreads, they are keeping track of the books they have read. If only I could get my husband to do it! He claims he doesn't have time to read, put down the game for a minute. LOL!

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments It's exciting that your daughters are using Goodreads too. My dad likes to read, and I keep trying to get him on here, but he thinks it's like Facebook and just filled with nonsense.

message 23: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done, I have found the Big Stone Gap books on eAudiobook from the library for free. So I have moved it up my list to listen to them now. So far I am not impressed but since I am from the area I am going to push through at least the first book before I decide not to read the others for sure.

message 24: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) I just finished another book about my hometown Big Stone Gap, it was extremely difficult to get through and only the last two chapters were enjoyable. I am not sure if I should read the next three books at all.

message 25: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) After reading reviews I have decided not to read the next three books at this time. I will keep them on my to read list but won't be reading them any time soon.

message 26: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Wow, I finished that book already! I can't wait to start the next book when I get home!

message 27: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book finished, can't wait to see how this trilogy ends!

message 28: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Love it! I am really a head of schedule in my reading!

message 29: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) The next book I am reading is another local. The writer runs the local bookstore/cat rescue where we got our cat Angus. I honestly hope her book doesn't disappoint like the book Big Stone Gap did

message 30: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done, that last one took a while to read. I got sick for a few days in there but for the most part it was kinda a slow read. Still a good book.

message 31: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) My book reading seems to have slowed some, but I will catch up. All these Amish books have rekindled a love for baking that has been dormant for all these years. I have actually started to sell my baked goods. Between full time employee, full time mom (with some wife sprinkled in), and full time baker I seem to have little time for reading. That will soon change once I drop the full time employee part on June 24th. My husband, Michael, wants to go into management at McDonalds and in order to do that I have to take care of the kids. I can't wait to be home full time with my girls and be able to find more time for baking.

On to my next book! I am glad they are ebooks I can borrow from the library, that way I don't have to wait ALL DAY to get my next book.

message 32: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Another book done, I kinda wish that a writer would read their previous books when making a series. I found inconsistencies in the last story compared to the first one. This book was suppose to be the story around Joanna who was in the last book "The Fiddler" as a friend. In the Fiddler she was seeing a serious beau that gave her a gift and everything before Amelia went on tour but in The Bridesmaid she is just starting see her first beau while Amelia is on tour

message 33: by Belinda (new)

Belinda (belindaclem) Well with the move I got behind keeping my challenge up to date. But I have added the last five books I have finished! I am getting close to the 50 book mark!!