Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Hunter's Claim (The Alliance, #1)
This topic is about Hunter's Claim

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathon (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonathon Patrick | 3 comments Firstly, hi. Hello. How are you? I'm a male. I'm not sure if that's a novel thing around these parts. I'm also not sure if that means I can't be apart of the group, but I might as well try it anyways.
Now, what I wanted to discuss is did anyone else find the dialogue between characters really garbage?

The book is readable: it definitely is not the worst book I've ever read. However, the dialogue really brought me out of the story. It seemed so . . . unrealistic? I cannot really think of a good enough word or words to describe it. Smith's attempt at character conversation really seemed to be disappointing. Do people really talk to each other like that?

Anyways. Yeah. That's all I wanted to talk about.

message 2: by Keidy (new)

Keidy | 313 comments @Jonathon: Guys are always welcomed here, just fyi. No need to be shy about stating your opinion around these parts. I'm sure the ratio between male and female Vaginal Fantasy fans are uneven, but it's always nice to have a guy's perspective of things too. ^_^

Jonathon Patrick | 3 comments Thanks! I'm glad to know that I won't be chased out. :D

Mysti Kay Lamb (voodooblossoms) | 4 comments I am waiting for my Kindle to get here. I just had my old one stolen last Friday, so while I bought he book, I hate reading on my computer or table, I haven't started reading yet. I am having real issues with the cover.

That is a horrible thing to say, don't judge a book and all. But I almost expect the camera to pan up and I will see that guy that did all the romance covers in the 1980's and 1990's. I can't remember his name for the life of me.

message 5: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 2 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
I think that this is one of those choices that harkens back to the hard-core "romance". Unfortunately, it seems like we need to judge books of that type with a bit more lenient ruler. :(

And welcome! Of course guys are welcome here, glad to have different perspectives!

message 6: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Mitchell | 1 comments Being a writer myself I'm a bit of a dialogue snob, and I have to agree with Jonathon, the dialogue in this book wasn't the best.

However, it had great characterization, plot, and world building...that accounts for a lot of literary sins for me.

Miche (noisygeek) | 13 comments @Jonathan Welcome, it's nice to have guys involved in the group : )

I have to say I didn't pick up on any dialogue issues. It might be shameful but if I'm really enjoying the story the dialogue issues don't get flagged in my brain.

Does anyone have examples of what they thought was bad?

Isabeau Shepard | 1 comments @Jonathan Hey Jonathan, it's nice to have more guys :)
I wouldn't say the dialogue with rubbish but it wasn't the best I've read. I agree with Matthew that characterisation, plot and world building made up for the average dialogue, but that's my opinion so who knows (shrug shoulders) :D

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Marae The whole writing style was really choppy. I think it was the lack of contractions... It made everything feel very formal and stilted.

Cassandra Stryffe | 33 comments I don't know. The dialogue made me literally laugh out loud the entire time. Maybe the author was TRYING to be funny?

message 11: by Lori (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lori J (silkspectre) | 17 comments All of the lovey dovey declarations had me cringe-laughing. I really like the start of the book, but it just fell apart and the dialogue got steadily worse.

Mysti Kay Lamb (voodooblossoms) | 4 comments I agree Lori, I really did enjoy the start of the book. When they met up with Hunter and the other two It was all down hill. I am almost done and really debating on picking up the alternate to read.

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erin (erincrites) | 17 comments Yes, I thought it seemed unnatural. It took me out if it as well.

message 14: by Lori (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lori J (silkspectre) | 17 comments I'm going to check out the alt and just see if it's any better, it'll probably be another quick read. This one took me about two or three hours to finish. Hopefully it'll be better, but I'm not exactly upset that this book was bad, I got a few good laughs and a few glimmers of a good story in the beginning.

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Jonathon wrote: "Firstly, hi. Hello. How are you? I'm a male. I'm not sure if that's a novel thing around these parts. I'm also not sure if that means I can't be apart of the group, but I might as well try it anywa..."

I found the alien dialogue unnatural but THEY WERE ALIENS so I gave her the benefit of the doubt. Also, I don't have sisters and I'm not from Seattle so I'm not sure how Seattlite sisters speak to one another.

*this is all code for: I AGREE WITH YOU FIERCELY*

message 16: by Crisp (new) - rated it 1 star

Crisp (crispi) | 120 comments Three words: Anakin and Amidala

message 17: by Dayle (new)

Dayle Kennedy (spaghettiandmeatballs) Tooting fluffing fart

message 18: by Jonathan (new) - added it

Jonathan (calijonathan) Voodoo wrote: "I agree Lori, I really did enjoy the start of the book. When they met up with Hunter and the other two It was all down hill. I am almost done and really debating on picking up the alternate to read."

I'm struggling with that too. I used to live in Seattle so I was excited to read this book. But the story is so contrived, the dialogue is awkward, the whole "SHE JUST KISSED A CAT!" thing screaming in the back of my mind has me this close to abandoning it. Why can't Sci-Fi/Fantasy romance books be well-written AND have good sexy times?

Cassandra Stryffe | 33 comments Jonathan wrote: Why can't Sci-Fi/Fantasy romance books be well-written AND have good sexy times?

Because that would break all the known laws of reality and tear a hole in the space-time continuum