Transgender Book Club discussion

Casey Plett
This topic is about Casey Plett
Casey Pletts' "Rise of the Gender Novel" article

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 25, 2016 12:28PM) (new)

http://thewalrus.ca/rise-of-the-gende...

Content warning: the article briefly discusses novels involving transphobic and transmisogynistic violence, and sexual assault, suicide, and general transphobia and transmisogyny.

I thought others may appreciate reading this article on the issue of transgender narratives becoming a fad with cisgender authors, and why this can be harmful. I have a lot of strong (mostly negative) feelings about cisgender people taking it upon themselves to write "realistic/true-to-life transgender narratives" because they always write something horribly caricaturized and stereotyped and offensive... So I'm sure some other people here would be interested to read.

message 2: by K (new)

K T Vaughn (ktvaughn) | 2 comments I agree with you and thus the article (I did read it). I quickly noticed the cisgender authorship of various transgender novels, and that the same authors also wrote about other sociological "problems" by "studying" case histories. I couldn't stand reading them, to be honest. That is why I wrote "my own fantasy" transgender novel (I am not trying to plug it here, though if you read it and comment on it, I would be happy).