Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Mar 2016: Pillars of the World > Audible of Pillars of the World

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Anderson (lindsaydee) | 6 comments So I thought I was being smart by using an Audible credit for this book. I figured, I would listen to it in the bath or while doing things around the house or driving.

I am three minutes in. Just three minutes. I can't do it. This narrator is awful! Like he wants to be on the local news kind of awful. Anyone else think the same? I'm going to go to reading this book because I can already tell this is going to be a huge distraction.

K, now back to my bath...

message 2: by Serendi (new)

Serendi You can return Audible books apparently - sounds like you should check it out.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 19 comments Ditto. I can handle the narration but it adds a lot of humor to a serious story. At least it keeps it interesting.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Christian | 3 comments Yes! I agree! He sounds incredibly snarky, and not in that "cool best friend" way. More in the "I'm incredibly bored and too good for this" way.

But, I'm trudging through. That is, I was, until my Audiobooks.com version abruptly ended at the 5 hour 27 minute point of a 14+ hour audiobook!

Hopefully customer service can help me out. Or, it's a blessing in disguise! I haven't decided.

message 5: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (mightypetra) | 2 comments I got used to it after a while and stopped noticing his lack of expressions...
When I picked up an e-book version again though, I realized all the characters still talk in his voice :D

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Christian | 3 comments Heather wrote: "Yes! I agree! He sounds incredibly snarky, and not in that "cool best friend" way. More in the "I'm incredibly bored and too good for this" way.

But, I'm trudging through. That is, I was, until my..."

Update: Audiobooks.com version now includes the entire book. Guess I'm back to listening to the snarky narrator :)

message 7: by Kid Disaster (new)

Kid Disaster (kiddisaster) I checked out the audio book from my library (they didn't have the book available). I'm 50% in and I'm still listening to his snarky intonation more than the plot.

message 8: by Bleu (new)

Bleu Caldwell (bleucaldwell) | 101 comments I'm listening to the audiobook and I don't like the narration -- but I'm not sure I'd like this book any more even if I did. :/ Going to keep going though -- 8 hours to go.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (stormfire298) | 52 comments I was going to get the audiobook but after seeing this thread I am glad I did not. Especially if it means hearing the voice in my head the whole series when I go back to books.

message 10: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Cawley (RosieDerivator) | 4 comments I was annoyed at all get out by his voice (probably because I'm listening to the WoT books also and those narrators are pretty wonderful, IMO), but I too ended up tuning it out after a while. Until the dog came in. I could not stand his "YAPYAPYAPing."

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! He was awful. His narration was boring! It took me a while to get into the book because I hated the way he read, but I eventually got used to it.

message 12: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Anderson (lindsaydee) | 6 comments Heather wrote: "Yes! I agree! He sounds incredibly snarky, and not in that "cool best friend" way. More in the "I'm incredibly bored and too good for this" way.

But, I'm trudging through. That is, I was, until my..."

YIKES!

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Anderson (lindsaydee) | 6 comments Michelle wrote: "I was going to get the audiobook but after seeing this thread I am glad I did not. Especially if it means hearing the voice in my head the whole series when I go back to books."

Good! Glad something good came of it. Hahaha.

message 14: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Turner (plainkayla) | 78 comments I feel like his voice is much more suited to Aiden, and improves in the second book (which I now had to pick up, haha).

But you're right- at first *everything* was so... bleh.

message 15: by Kid Disaster (new)

Kid Disaster (kiddisaster) Kayla wrote: "I feel like his voice is much more suited to Aiden..."

ha! he does make a good aiden. perfect intonation for a faerie who knows he's better than you and doesn't get emotions.

message 16: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (lwordish) | 7 comments The narrator is horrible. But I don't think a great narrator could have saved this book...

message 17: by Elzibub (new)

Elzibub | 119 comments The narrator was indeed rather blasé about the book, but I also didn't enjoy the story. The male characters all seemed pretty self-centered or just plain bastards (except for Neal). Some of the female characters were interesting, but when the female fae (Diana, I think?) started messing around in her brother's business, checking in to see if the woman was good enough for him, it just got too annoying. Too much like icky jealousy. So yeah, on both counts I'm going to try to get me credit back. Couldn't get past about the 30% mark.

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (diamond_rebel) | 108 comments I didn't notice but the only reason for that is I listen to most audiobooks at 2x the speed so its not as noticeable. But returning audiobooks on Audible is really easy, so at least there is that.