Danielle L. Jensen's Reader Group discussion

Stolen Songbird (The Malediction Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Stolen Songbird
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Stolen Songbird Read-Along > Stolen Songbird Chapters 12-17

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:25PM) (new) - added it

Danielle Jensen | 359 comments Mod
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS!!!

Here are the discussion questions! You can answer as many or as few as you want, and you can also pose questions about these chapters to me!

TO UNLOCK EXTRA CONTENT #6 (A new scene) I need 20 different people to answer at least one question!

One participant on this thread will win a signed copy of WARRIOR WITCH, courtesy of my publisher, Angry Robot Books

All participants are entitled to a WARRIOR WITCH swag pack. Details here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

1. In extra #5, I talk about my bookshelves, how I organize them, and my reading habits. How do you organize your bookshelves? Do you ever get rid of books? Do you reread books?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PLyA...

2. How do you feel about Tristan’s friendship with Anaïs? Does it bother you that they had a history, of sorts? Do you like her or hate her, or are you indifferent to her character? Would you be interested in learning more about her?

3. Chapter 14 has a moment between Tristan and Cecile that is HEAVY with physical chemistry. Despite Cecile suspecting Tristan’s behavior is an act, he’s still been pretty nasty to her so far. Do you think it was too soon for the chemistry to develop between them, or do you think the moment was right?

4. Did you think Cecile was brave to intercede on Lessa’s behalf or foolish to get involved? What would you have done? Were you curious as to how Lessa was related to Tristan or did you not care?

5. Why do you think the King chose that moment to reveal that Tristan had been betrothed to Anaïs? What do you think he intended to accomplish?

message 2: by Danielle (new) - added it

Chapter summaries for those who need them!

Chapter 12
Tristan leaves the gardens and makes his way through the streets to the poorer area of Trollus known as the Dregs. He is angry with himself for following Cécile into the gardens like a lovesick puppy, especially after he had to intervene earlier to save Chris’s life from her guards. He needs to maintain minimal contact with Cécile so that people won’t question his sympathies or try to use her against him.

Anaïs greets him at the front door of an empty home. Anaïs’s father, Angoulême, ordered her to seduce Tristan to determine his true loyalties, so they’ve been pretending to have an affair in order to feed him false information. Tristan is also using the fake affair with Anaïs to create opportunities to meet with the rebel half -bloods.
Before he meets with the group, Tristan asks how his younger brother, Roland, is doing. Anaïs says that Roland did not respond well to learning Tristan bonded a human. Roland has become very violent and she suggests that they should kill him. Even though Tristan knows how dangerous Roland is, he refuses to contemplate murdering his brother. He leaves Anaïs and meets with his followers.

Chapter 13
Cécile wakes up alone. However, Tristan has been to their rooms in the night and left her a magical device for light, along with a snide note. The Duchesse and the Queen enter the room to discuss the upcoming party, as they don’t want any problems like the day before.

At Marc’s party, Cécile is waylaid by the King, who is angry that Tristan is absent. He mocks her for being afraid of him, but she stands her ground, informing him that she knows he can’t harm her without harming his heir. The King tells her to remind Tristan that he isn’t his only son.

Cécile seeks refuge outside of the party and runs into Marc and the twins, Vincent and Victoria. Marc instructs them to keep her entertained. Tristan arrives with Anaïs on his arm and interrupts their fun. Anaïs picks a quarrel with Cécile, but she gets the better of the troll girl, and passes on the King’s warning to Tristan. Though she can sense his unease, he brushes off the warning and suggests she rejoin the party.

She doesn’t want to go back to the party, so she wanders around Marc’s basement. She comes across a locked door, which she picks, and discovers a room with a table covered in books on famous architecture. Tristan’s coat is draped across one of the chairs, and there are signs that he’s spent some time in here. She hides when she hears someone coming. Tristan, Vincent, Victoria, Anaïs, and Marc enter the room and look at papers Tristan takes from a hidden compartment in the table. Magic hides their conversation, but Cécile can feel and see Tristan’s excitement about whatever the documents contain.

A frightened servant comes in, informing them that Prince Roland has escaped and is hunting half-bloods. Tristan orders Marc to find Cécile and keep her safe, then departs with the rest of his friends. Once they are gone, Cécile takes Tristan’s papers out of the compartment. But before she can figure out what they mean, she hears someone approaching. Shoving the documents in her skirt, she hides under the table and Angoulême enters the room. He is angry to discover the secret compartment empty and departs.

Cécile sneaks out when she thinks it is safe, but is caught by Angoulême. He demands to know what Tristan is up to, offering safe passage from Trollus after Tristan’s death if she tells him the Prince’s plans. Marc intervenes and tells her not to trust Angoulême, explaining that because of the bond, if Tristan dies, she is likely to as well. She sees the black bonding marks on Marc’s hand and learns that the girl he was bonded to his dead, and he says he only lived because stronger powers intervened Back in her rooms, Cécile hides Tristan’s documents, deciding to use them to force Tristan into telling her the truth about what side he’s really on.

Chapter 14
In the morning, Cécile tracks down Tristan with the intention of learning the truth. Before she can say anything, he asks her if she has come to spy on him for her new friend. Convincing him to speak to her somewhere private, she accuses him of being a sympathizer. When he refuses to admit that’s the case, she tells him she has his documents. When he accuses her of being backstabbing, she tells him that she took them to protect him from Angoulême. She tells him that if he explains to her what the documents represent, she’ll return them to him.

Tristan agrees and reveals that he is a sympathizer and that he plans on killing the King. He is leading the group of revolutionaries and plans on taking the crown. The papers that Cécile found earlier are building plans to create a structure that will replace the magic supporting the rock, which will eliminate the half-bloods’ dependency on the aristocracy. She asks him what the point of building it is if he intends to break the curse, and he evades the question, suggesting that it is unlikely the curse will ever be broken. But he tells her once he is in power that he’ll release her from Trollus.

Once Cécile understands Tristan’s alliances and plans, he tells her that they must remain antagonistic to each other. He must pretend to agree with his father, which means he can’t sympathize with humans or half-bloods. If anyone suspects anything, the revolution and their lives would be in jeopardy.

Chapter 15
After meeting with Tristan she seeks out Duchesse, intending to take advantage of the opportunities the woman offered her now that she’s secured her eventual freedom from Trollus. Cécile tells her that she wants to know more about the arts, history, literature and other subjects.

The next few days are spent doing all sorts of activities. Cécile rarely sees Tristan, and when she does, they always pretend to quarrel in order to keep up the pretense.

In a rare moment when they are alone together, Tristan makes an offhand comment about her brother, and reveals that he has spies watching her family. He offers to fake her death so that her family can receive some closure, and she agrees, giving him her mother’s necklace so that the corpse will be identified as hers.

He gives her a diamond necklace, but the moment is tarnished when he tells her it’s a gift from the troll jewelers, not from him. Upset, she informs him it is a cold gift, and meaningless given how alone she is. They quarrel, and he tells her if it’s warmth she seeks to find it with his friends, not him.

Chapter 16
Cécile is enjoying the afternoon teaching Marc, Vincent, and Victoria how to fish. They ask her many questions about her home and eventually the conversation turns to the fights between her and Tristan. They only see each other in public and often argue.

However, he leaves her gifts and information about her family in the bedroom, which Marc tells her is against the King’s orders.
The twins are bored with fishing and they all decide to leave. The twins are pulled away by a sculptor who wants to be paid. Marc is also detained for a moment, leaving Cécile alone. She comes across the Dowager Duchesse d’Angoulême and her servant. The servant accidentally bumps into the Dowager Duchesse and drops a package. Cécile tries to protect the girl by purchasing her, but the law prevents her from buying the servant herself. Cécile does the only thing she can think of, and steps in the way, taking one of the lashes intended for the servant herself.

Chapter 17
Tristan is with his father when he senses Cécile has been injured, although not badly. A messenger arrives to tell the King that Cécile has quarreled with the Dowager Duchesse, and after hearing the explanation, Tristan is immediately concerned that Cécile will ask him to intervene on the servant’s behalf. The messenger reveals the servant’s identity as a girl named Lessa, who is a Montigny bastard, and the King erupts in a violent fit of temper. Cécile and those in question soon arrive. Instead of begging for the servant’s life, as Tristan and the King expected, Cécile remains quiet as the Dowager Duchesse nervously explains that the conflict would not have occurred if Cécile better understood the laws before conceding that her behavior was rash.

Before Dowager Duchesse can leave, Tristan goes over to Cécile and reveals an injury on her arm. The King is ready to punish the Dowager Duchesse for breaking the law against harming Cécile, but Cécile intervenes. Instead of having the woman punished, she wants the servant to be gifted to the royal family. The King is impressed that she found a loophole in the law and informs the Dowager Duchesse to either give up the servant or her life.

The King orders Tristan to remain as everyone departs, and expresses his pleasure that someone finally caught the Angoulême house in a plot, although he was surprised that it was Cécile to do the catching. He discusses the politics of their relationship with the Angoulêmes, revealing that he’d fostered Roland with them in order to secure a betrothal between Tristan and Anaïs, which was subsequently broken when it was discovered the Angoulême bloodline was afflicted with hemophilia. After he is dismissed, Tristan wanders over to the gardens because he is drawn to Cécile’s singing.

message 3: by Danielle (new) - added it

FUN FACTS!

Chapter 12 – Anaïs’s character was inspired by that of Éponine from Les Misérables, both in the sense of her unrequited love for Tristan and that she plays a key part in the revolution they are planning. I wrote a big blog post about the similarities between the two girls that you can read here (some Stolen Songbird spoilers)
http://cuts-of-paper.blogspot.ca/2015...

Chapter 13 – So I’ve never admitted this one before, but Victoria used to be Victor! After some discussion with my agent, I ended up making Victor/ia a she for a couple reasons. One, the twins felt like they were the same person and this allowed me more options for differentiating them, and two, we wanted Cécile to have a strong female friend in Trollus. The twins have a significant role to play in Warrior Witch, which I’m really excited for everyone to read.

Chapter 14 – As you know from the chapter 1 fun fact, I met my agent via an online contest. But she didn’t sign me after she read Stolen Songbird the first time, instead asking me to make a few revisions and then resubmit. One of her requests was for an expansion of the political situation. In the first version she read, there was no stone tree – all Tristan was trying to accomplish was to overthrow his father. So all that stuff in Marc’s basement and her run-in with Angouleme was added during my revision, as was Cécile going into the conversation in the stables with blackmail material. In the original version, she accuses him of being a sympathizer, and after a little bit of argument, he concedes fairly easily. By adding in the plans for the stone tree and everything that went with it, I gave her the power to force the information out of him, which makes the exchange much more powerful.

Chapter 15 – This is another chapter that came into being during revisions. When I’m writing a novel, the part I always have the most trouble with is what I call “The Passing of Time”, which is when I’m trying to encapsulate a relatively long period into a small amount of text. “The Passing of Time” in Stolen Songbird is the time period when Cécile is learning to do all sorts of different things while Tristan is a big (pretend) jerk to her. In the original version, all of that happens in a summary a few pages long. During revisions, it was decided that I should show some of those moments, because it would help the reader see how their relationship and romance was growing. So I came up with the painting scene (which I find hilarious), and the ill-considered gift scene.

Chapter 16 – Another chapter that came from revisions! I suppose that this is an opportune moment to mention that Stolen Songbird grew from about 86,000 words to 120,000 words in the revision process.
LESSA. Oh my goodness. Lessa did not exist until the very final round of edits before Stolen Songbird went on submission to editors. Which is CRAZY, because she totally altered the direction of this trilogy. What would HIDDEN HUNTRESS be without her? And WARRIOR WITCH? You will be seeing A LOT of Tristan’s half-sister, because she is a villain!

Chapter 17 – This chapter is obviously a continuation of the changes I made with chapter 16, but from Tristan’s POV. What to say… What to say… Well, there is a big hint that the King has more backstory than has yet been told, all of which will come out in Warrior Witch. All of it.

message 4: by Danielle (new) - added it

Also - and I know this will drive you bunch INSANE - I don't care if I have a series all in the same format. I'll mix hardcover, paperback, and ebook. And sometimes I borrow part of the series from a friend or the library, so I'll be missing books on my shelves.

I AM SUCH A REBEL!

message 5: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Davenport | 4 comments #2 - I'm not crazy about Tristan and Anias relationship, I think it takes away from Cecile and Tristan building their relation. BUT their friendship and Anias devotion to Tristan plays such a huge part in the book it's hard not to support.

#3 - I loved the chemistry! It was perfect timing:)

Kendra (bluey689) | 12 comments 1.) I have 5 shelves on my bookshelf. I put most of the book series on the middle one, so I deem this shelf as most important. If there's no room on that shelf for a new series or another book, then I move that series to the second shelf. The second shelf also consists of short stories and fairy tales. The fourth shelf has standalone books, and also the books that I don't really look at anymore. The last shelf has all the nonfiction and reference books, and the first shelf has random items like photos and art paper.

I do get rid of books, but all of the following must apply to a to-get-rid-of book:
-It takes up space
-I have no memories attached to it, or any sort of attachment at all
-I know that I'll never read it ever again

Even though I have many books, I keep most of them just for the sake of having them. I usually never completely reread a book from the beginning, but if there are certain scenes that I really like in a book, then I'll reread those scenes.

2.) I disliked Anais when I was first introduced to her, because she was just a tad too close to Tristan. She also seemed like a person who would do anything to be with him. But now that I know she's helping Tristan against his father, and that she's no threat to Cecile, I have better feelings towards her. I suppose I wouldn't mind knowing more about her.

Makenna Matos | 10 comments #1 I actually have two bookshelves one if for my favorite book of all time and the other is for books I collect over time. I have had to do some reorganizing and place them in alphabetical order by author. I have sadly removed some of my books from my collection but make sure they go to good homes. I absolutely love rereading books! The ones I frequent most often are in my favorite bookshelf.

#2 At first I really hated Anais and was mad how she acted, but in the end I realized it was just that, acting. After I got over that I started to like her more at the end if book two. I would be interested to know her backstory a little more especially her sister and Marc's relationship.

#3 At that point I was screaming at the book for some chemistry so I was happy.

#4 I don't think she was wrong, and I was happy she was able to show strength in a situation that could have gone horribly wrong. I don't think I would have been so brave. I was curious about Lessa's connection, but it wasn't a dire need to know.

#5 I think he wanted to show off his power over Tristan and kind of rub it in. He's just mean through and through. Aka I don't like him.

Melissa (thereaderandthechef) (melissarobles) 1. My bookshelf's organization isn't that great but I love the way it is. Most of my hardcovers are on the top shelf, along with my HP collection going left to right (books 7-1). On the second shelf I keep all my favorite paperbacks. You can find The Iron Fey series, The Goddess Test series, The Malediction Trilogy (tho they are always hanging out around the house) and this also where Fondant Tristan lives. But since I'm running out of space, I have books stacked on top of each other and more hanging out on my desk. :D Love your shelves btw!

2. I disliked her in the beginning since she was a potential threat to Tristan and Cecile's relationship. But... she grows on me. And even more after reading Hidden Huntress and the extra scenes. She's one courageous character.

3. I think their relationship happened at the right time. The attraction was there, but they didn't start falling for each other until they started discovering these little traits that showed who they truly were, instead of what they were pretending to be.

4. It was brave AND foolish. I wish I could say I would have done the same thing, but I know I would have never come up with the loophole. :(

5. For me, it was a clear message to Cécile: "You better make yourself useful if you want to stay alive".
:)

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah | 6 comments 2. I liked Anais from the beginning - I thought the other love interest would be Marc for Cecile, not one for Tristan so it didn't bother me that they had a history. I like that Tristan has one person that he shouldn't really have, because she's spying on him, to care about.

message 10: by ShinHyunRin (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShinHyunRin 신현린 | 14 comments 1. A. There is nothing special in my library. Now I see it, my study desk is pretty messed up and heavenly full of books. So I wonder now how am I supposed to do with the upcoming books.
B. Yes, but not in a bad way. Occasionaly, I get double books and then I pick a friend that would interest to read the book, so my books will have an owner that will love herself (yes, I always thought that my books have souls, so they have to be cared)
C. Yes, definitely!

2. It would be odd for me if Tristan really don't have any special feelings towards Anaïs at all. At first, I thought she would be that bitchy girl who would ruin the relationship between Cècile and Tristan (that would be not so bad ending, though), but after all that happen to her, I began to empathize her, even I need a happy ending for her! (Yes, I totally in denial of her death) so, of course I would need more stories about her (probably about her ressurection? *wink wink*)

5. Because we (I need, at least. I'm done wondering about his mixed feeling) need a real proof of Tristan's feeling towards Cėcile! There is no other explanation needed. Case closed!

Nicole (missnicolet) | 13 comments 1. Danielle, your shelves look WAAAYYY better than mine! I only have ONE shelf and it's about half the size of yours. But... I have about 80 books or so, and they don't exactly fit. So my books are all just crammed onto my shelf however they kind of fit. I RARELY reread books but I never get rid of any because I don't have many compared to most people (too poor to buy books at the moment... college is expensive).

2. It VERY much bothers me that Tristan has a history with Anaïs, but that's because I LOVE Cecile and Tristan. I always want to learn more about characters that I dislike because usually I learn to love them or at least understand them better. No one is ALL bad. But... even after reading Stolen Songbird and Hidden Huntress I still never really liked her. Which is probably horrible. Sorry. Haha. BUT I think her character is important. Definitely.

message 12: by Danielle (new) - added it

Janelle wrote: "#2 - I'm not crazy about Tristan and Anias relationship, I think it takes away from Cecile and Tristan building their relation. BUT their friendship and Anias devotion to Tristan plays such a huge ..."

Hi Janelle!
Anaïs is certainly the most contentious of the 'good' secondary characters. I think that's one of the reasons I like her so much - she provokes a more interesting conversation than a character like Marc, who readers typically only have positive things to say about.

message 13: by Danielle (new) - added it

Lillian wrote: "1.) I have 5 shelves on my bookshelf. I put most of the book series on the middle one, so I deem this shelf as most important. If there's no room on that shelf for a new series or another book, the..."

Hi Lillian!
Sounds like you have a good system for your books - I should rearrange mine based on all the feedback everyone is giving me.

One of the reasons I've put that disclaimer that people should wait until after chapter 12 before reading extra #2 and #4 is that they don't just spoil Tristan's true intentions, they spoil the reveal of Anaïs's intentions. I wanted people to dislike and distrust her through most of the novel :)

message 14: by Danielle (new) - added it

Makenna wrote: "#1 I actually have two bookshelves one if for my favorite book of all time and the other is for books I collect over time. I have had to do some reorganizing and place them in alphabetical order by..."

Hi Makenna!
What books have you reread the most?

message 15: by Danielle (new) - added it

Melissa wrote: "1. My bookshelf's organization isn't that great but I love the way it is. Most of my hardcovers are on the top shelf, along with my HP collection going left to right (books 7-1). On the second shel..."

I NEED A FONDANT TRISTAN!!!

message 16: by Danielle (new) - added it

Hannah wrote: "2. I liked Anais from the beginning - I thought the other love interest would be Marc for Cecile, not one for Tristan so it didn't bother me that they had a history. I like that Tristan has one per..."

Hi Hannah!
Were you disappointed that Marc didn't turn out to be a love interest for Cecile?

message 17: by Danielle (new) - added it

ShinHyunRin wrote: "1. A. There is nothing special in my library. Now I see it, my study desk is pretty messed up and heavenly full of books. So I wonder now how am I supposed to do with the upcoming books.
B. Yes, bu..."

Hi Shin!
Awe! Glad to see an Anaïs fan in these threads! Have you read this? http://www.leeanna.me/guest-post-dani...

It's a letter written by Anaïs talking about her backstory :D

message 18: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "1. Danielle, your shelves look WAAAYYY better than mine! I only have ONE shelf and it's about half the size of yours. But... I have about 80 books or so, and they don't exactly fit. So my books are..."

Hi Nicole!
College IS expensive! I never used to get rid of books, but when I started running out of space, I figured I might as well get rid of stuff that I didn't really like. Usually I donate them to charity book drives or libraries, that sort of thing.

Do you think it would have bothered you if Tristan had history with another girl, period, or was it Anaïs in particular that bothered you?

Nicole (missnicolet) | 13 comments Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. Danielle, your shelves look WAAAYYY better than mine! I only have ONE shelf and it's about half the size of yours. But... I have about 80 books or so, and they don't exactly fit. ..."

I think it probably still would have bothered me a little bit if Tristan had history with another girl, but not nearly as much. I've always been pretty introverted and I don't often speak unless spoken to, so being in Cecile's mind and looking at such a strong person who had feelings for the same guy... I don't know, I guess it's just more threatening. And I'm not really a fighter. Cecile is, so she could definitely handle it. I guess Anaïs isn't really the problem. I am! Haha.

message 20: by Pili (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pili (piwi) | 34 comments #1.- Now that I have a library room (*flails*) I am finally organizing books properly, but in my own way... I have it separated by read and unread books & series, but then... I don't do alphabetical at all, I organize by authors and how much I liked the books... So books I love and am likely to re-read, I'd have on the front and those that I liked less will be on the back (I have space for double stacking) and the same goes from lower to higher in the bookshelf, the lower down, the less likely I am to re-read. I used to re-read a lot before I discovered Goodreads and Amazon & the Book Depository because NEW SHINYS! But now I have decided to allow myself to re-read books when and as I feel like doing so! Re-reading is quite a joy!

#2.- The first time I read the book I was more bothered by Anaïs, now I must confess not so much. I don't see her as a villain or an antagonist, she's a strong character in a definitely bad situation that is in love with someone that doesn't love her back. I find the Eponine comparisson very intriguing and will surely be reading that post about it!

#3.- I felt the moment was done very well, since the chemistry was rather cackling very early on even if there was a certain dislike and antagonism from the very beginning! I love how they keep their pretend fights, even if sometimes Cecile really has the hardest time with them.

#4.- As foolish as it might have been as a political movement, I think it really fit Cecile's character. She's kind and wouldn't just stand and watch when someone was mistreated in front of her injustly. I'm extremely curious about Lessa's growing part on Hidden Huntress and Warrior Witch and cannot wait to read more about her!

#5.- I think the King was clearly trying to get Tristan to doubt Anaïs's loyalty and motives, and that way to get him to drop outside alliances, so he could be easier to control. I think the King knows he ought to fear Tristan's strenght, even if he downplays his interest in the political.

message 21: by Pili (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pili (piwi) | 34 comments Danielle wrote: "Also - and I know this will drive you bunch INSANE - I don't care if I have a series all in the same format. I'll mix hardcover, paperback, and ebook. And sometimes I borrow part of the series from..."

NOOOOO!! I'm usually a sucker for same format and same editions and cover changes in series so the books won't match drives me batty! But truth be told only with books and series I really love!

BellaKara | 29 comments 1. You'll love this answer. I mostly only own ebooks now. Since print books tended to be more expensive , I prefer them anyway, especially with my bad back that makes carrying print books difficult if I want to take them with me. But If you think you have too many books, or your family does. You should take a look at my laptop and e-reader. I counted them out to make certain, I have 20 books shy of 8,000 on my e reader shelve and the e-reader is sorted by author but I also have cathegory shelves where i sort them out, some categories boing just the name of an author if they have 10 books or more like Anne Rice, YA Books, which has a whole lot of books, and so on but all in all I may have spent maybe 600 on all the books since I mostly get them on special or even when they are limitted time give aways, plus some I have won or been given by friends and family. Thank you Twilight series you're the one that started all of this, which is why I also have that series in print as it was, ironically, a college reading material for advanced literature. I've read more than a 1000 of them and am still trying to get through the rest and yet I keep on getting more, It's an addiction I tell you, thanks dad, you started me on this path, but I good one I think
2. I never really lliked their friendship. On his part it was clear he saw her as really only a friend, history not withstanding, wherease she always seemed in love with him which I don't think was overall good for her in any way since it seems she hasn't totally given up on the idea of a future with him. Accepted it's not gonna happen as he's now married, maybe, accepted it was not going to happen because of her genetic condition, no, but what choice did she have, she knew it she probably was a carrier even if she wasn't affected herself and an heir to the throne could not have it, plus personally she probably could not stand the idea of seeing her child die the way that her sister did, it seemed to me, so she didn't have a choice but to though she seems to still have some hopes left in her as unrealistic as they are which is why it's not good for her. Their history didn't really bother me, everyone comes with a past, but I don't think she's totally given up on her options with him, which isn't good for her. I would, however, love to know more about her.

3. No it was the right time, she started seeing him in a different light and is starting to catch on, Tristan is hansome and really every little girls fantasy come true of prince charming. Since she's starting to see more of him of the reall side of him and not what he portrays to protect them both, then it's a good time for her to maybe start seeing also some romance with him.

4. She was brave, foolish but brave. Interceeding on behalf of those who can't defend themselves is the true mark of nobility, which is why she makes a better royalty of Throllus than most of the other nobles aside from those who side with Tristan. But she was foolish since it was clearly a trap to get her to force Tristan's hand so Agouleme could have something to use against him, though i must say she handled herself artfully, turning the trap on the trapper without even really doing much about it. I was surprised by her sudden appearance as the king never struck me as the kind that would have consorted with half bloods, that's what his behavior would suggest and it made me curious as to her past and definitely why her father did not find a way to spare her from the fate of the other half bloods, he certainly had the power to change things as he saw fit, if only for her and what changed him into what he is now as he certainly couldn't have been that way before..

5. It was simple really. he wanted to spark fire between Tristan and Cecile. He needed them to get along, people were starting to talk about the behaviour of the newlyweds, and I sincerely doubt that he believed their story that Tristan was fulfilling his husband duties to her. His position is precarious with his first attempt to break the curse went up in smoke, there's unrest amongst the people, he has an insane, murderous second child who's a ticking time bomb waiting to explode on a population that has no hope of getting away right now and he's got enemies all around him, he needs tham to at least appear like a good husband and whife to give the apparance of unity and also active hope of breaking the curse in whatever way people may think that happens so he needs them to get along, but they dont. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and no wife likes to hear her husband had a long history with another and especially with the one he appears to be stepping out with. An angry wife will do anything to either get back at the husband, the woman he's "cheating" with or make sure his eye turns to her. Two of those work for him though it was sort of a first voley of desperation since his plans are starting to unravel and his control over the details is tarting to slip to the cracks.

message 23: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe (zoelavander) | 5 comments 1. I actually need more own bookshelf (I share with my dad). I organize my section by alphabetical order in terms of series/singular books. I get rid of books that I DNF. I ALWAYS reread books. Especially Stolen Songbird and Hidden Huntress because I loved them so much!

2. I like their relationship. I actually really liked her character, and I really liked that you chose not to make Anaïs another victim to a love triangle. I liked her devotion to Tristan and his cause, and to also Cécile. I liked that Tristan and Anaïs had a history because it's realistic. I mean, he's a troll prince for crying out loud. He's gonna have some other lovers before meeting the love of his life haha.

3. NO. I THOUGHT YOU DID REALLY WELL. It built up to it and there was no insta-love. There was attraction but nothing else. They had a moment and the moment was weaved in so beautifully it was natural.

4. I really liked the scene with Lessa because it showed how Cécile was working being in Trollus to her advantage in a way. Like she wasn't some sitting duck, if you know what I mean.

5. TO MAKE CÉCILE JEALOUS. (totally joking HAHA).

Makenna Matos | 10 comments Danielle wrote: "Makenna wrote: "#1 I actually have two bookshelves one if for my favorite book of all time and the other is for books I collect over time. I have had to do some reorganizing and place them in alpha..."

Books that I have re-read are...
The Princess Academy Trilogy By Shannon Hale (8x)
Fablehaven Series By Brandon Mull (3x)
The Girl Who Could Fly By Victoria Forester (5x)
The Garden of Eve By K. L. Going (4x)
The Ultra Maniac Series By Wataru Yoshizumi (4x)
and
Entwined By Heather Dixon (10x)

I feel if you spend the money to by a book they deserve to be picked up more than once.

ShinHyunRin 신현린 | 14 comments Danielle wrote: "ShinHyunRin wrote: "1. A. There is nothing special in my library. Now I see it, my study desk is pretty messed up and heavenly full of books. So I wonder now how am I supposed to do with the upcomi..."

YES, I have! But it's not enough... I need more!!!! *cry cry*

Nicole (nicole_t) | 43 comments Oh how I love the "behind the scenes" pieces of information! It's super interesting to learn about how Stolen Songbird evolved until it's final version, and all the thought you put into it when writting! As readers we could notice you had given a lot of thought while creating the story, because it feels very rich. It's very exciting to learn about what kind of thoughts you gave!

On to the questions!

1. I'm a very organized person, the kind that freaks out when someone takes their stuff because they're going to leave a mess haha. My bookshelves are organized in alphabetical order of the title, with titles of the same collection together in the letter of the first book, so both Stolen Songbird and Hidden Huntress are under letter S. Although maybe they should be in the letter M, of Malediction Trilogy... I'll rethink that ;P

2. Oh... I'm very ashamed of being a very jealous person haha. I just can't help it! I don't hate Anaïs though, I actually like her for being so kind and brave, I just don't like it when she's with Tristan :P Like I said in a previous question, I always put myself in the shoes of the main character, and if I were Cécile I would be very jealous of their history together.

3. I admit that the first time I read the book I didn't quite catch that they were just pretending to hate each other. I mean, I knew they had agreed to do that, but whenever Cécile had doubts if he actually did dislike her, I had doubts too. In real life I'm a very stupid person when it comes to noticing people liking each other haha! So the first time their chemistry struck me as a bit out of the blue. But when I re-read the book and stopped being an idiot I could see the small steps that had led to that moment, so I think it was the right time.

4. I think Cécile was brave, and in her place I would either have interceded or stood paralysed by shock in the moment! I like that there's a connection between Lessa and Tristan, it's one of the "details" (not that it's unimportant) that makes the story very rich.

5. Hm... That's a difficult question... I actually don't know!

Melissa (thereaderandthechef) (melissarobles) Danielle wrote: "Melissa wrote: "1. My bookshelf's organization isn't that great but I love the way it is. Most of my hardcovers are on the top shelf, along with my HP collection going left to right (books 7-1). On..."
I'll ship you one! ;)

message 28: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Nicole wrote: "1. Danielle, your shelves look WAAAYYY better than mine! I only have ONE shelf and it's about half the size of yours. But... I have about 80 books or so, and they do..."

I'm quite introverted as well, so I totally understand!

Anaïs is quite intimidating: she's beautiful, smart, and powerful. BUT she's also been made to feel like she's worth nothing because of the affliction that runs in her family. Cécile's arrival is really hard on her, because not only does she feel like she's losing Tristan, she feels like she's losing her friends. Marc, Vincent, and Victoria spend all their time with Cécile, and because of who she is and the role she must play, Anaïs has to stay away. Which is why when Cécile lashes out at Anaïs's behaviour, Marc is quick to defend her, saying “Anaïs is very unhappy, Cécile. And you don’t know her well enough to judge her.”

message 29: by Danielle (new) - added it

Pili wrote: "#1.- Now that I have a library room (*flails*) I am finally organizing books properly, but in my own way... I have it separated by read and unread books & series, but then... I don't do alphabetica..."

Hi Pili!
I'm sooooooo jealous of your library! After I had my baby, I had to give up half my office for all the guest room furniture, and now it's all squished and not the way I want it :(

message 30: by Danielle (new) - added it

Karim wrote: "1. You'll love this answer. I mostly only own ebooks now. Since print books tended to be more expensive , I prefer them anyway, especially with my bad back that makes carrying print books difficult..."

Hi Karim!
WOW! That is one full ereader!!! I don't organize my kindle, either *hangs head in shame*. It's just one long list of titles, so it takes me forever to find things.

You raise a very good point about it seeming out of character for the King to consort with half-bloods, but obviously it had to happen for Lessa to have been born :)

message 31: by Danielle (new) - added it

Zoe wrote: "1. I actually need more own bookshelf (I share with my dad). I organize my section by alphabetical order in terms of series/singular books. I get rid of books that I DNF. I ALWAYS reread books. Esp..."

Hi Zoe!
I also think it would be a bit unrealistic for Tristan to never have had interest in other girls before Cécile. And truthfully, I have always believed that him having had prior (minor) relationships/flings made what he felt for Cécile stronger and more meaningful. It isn't just the excitement of a first relationship and all that comes with it that draws him to her – it's Cécile herself.

message 32: by Danielle (new) - added it

Makenna wrote: "Danielle wrote: "Makenna wrote: "#1 I actually have two bookshelves one if for my favorite book of all time and the other is for books I collect over time. I have had to do some reorganizing and pl..."

That's a good list of books!!

message 33: by Danielle (new) - added it

Nicole wrote: "Oh how I love the "behind the scenes" pieces of information! It's super interesting to learn about how Stolen Songbird evolved until it's final version, and all the thought you put into it when wri..."

Hi Nicole!
Guess you better not let me near your bookshelves! Nothing would be in order by the time I was done digging through them :D

As both an author and a reader, I love when what seems like a small little detail turns into a really big plot point. The challenge is making the detail noticeable enough that people retain the information, but not so noticeable that they guess where I'm going to go with it :)

Morgan Wellman-kuhn | 3 comments 2. How do you feel about Tristan’s friendship with Anaïs? Does it bother you that they had a history, of sorts? Do you like her or hate her, or are you indifferent to her character? Would you be interested in learning more about her?

This is a complicated Question I did not really like it at first but it grew on me. It did bother me a little that they had a history but then there had to be someone he was interested in with his own people. I did not like her at first but like i said she grew on me. I would be interested to know more about her it would be interesting see how she turned out the way she is!

message 35: by Kelsea (new) - added it

Kelsea (ventureswithbooks) | 22 comments 1. Oh boy my bookshelf is crazy packed with so many books (and more on my kindle shelves!). I actually organize them by genre first (like Tudor historical fiction, magic fantasy, etc) then by height on the individual shelf. I don't really like to re read books, I already know how it's going to end so it doesn't hold the same allure it did initially but I still can't bring myself to give away any of my books! They are too precious to me!

2. I was not initially a fan of Anaïs. She just seemed very self centered and only seemed to want Tristian for herself. But towards the end I really began to see that she was doing it all for love and was willing to do whatever to help Tristian. I softened towards her character then but I'm still not her biggest fan. I would absolutely love to know more about her or see scenes from her POV might help us better understand her.

Fingers crossed for winning a copy of Warrior Witch I would love to add it to my bookshelf!!!!!!!

Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥ (jenstar-crossedbookblog) 2. Honestly, I was not a fan of Anaïs in the beginning. But over time, when she started to reveal herself more and more, then I started to warm up to her. But I could never like her 100% because it felt like I was betraying Cecile in some weird twisted way lol.

3. I think that the physical chemistry was perfect in that chapter! Because it's next to impossible to control your feelings/attractions to someone. And when you have that raw type of connection, it's eventually going to hit you hard. And it won't always be at the best time. So of course I loved how this was written!

4. When Cecile interceded on Lessa's behalf, it just added another reason to why I liked her. I was proud that she stepped in to stop a moment that seemed so wrong! I didn't give much thought to her being Tristan's half sister, but I'm SO excited how her character continued to pan out!

message 37: by Danielle (new) - added it

Morgan wrote: "2. How do you feel about Tristan’s friendship with Anaïs? Does it bother you that they had a history, of sorts? Do you like her or hate her, or are you indifferent to her character? Would you be in..."

Hi Morgan!
Have you read this? http://www.leeanna.me/guest-post-dani...

message 38: by Danielle (new) - added it

Kelsea wrote: "1. Oh boy my bookshelf is crazy packed with so many books (and more on my kindle shelves!). I actually organize them by genre first (like Tudor historical fiction, magic fantasy, etc) then by heigh..."

Hi Kelsea!
I'm also looking forward to having Warrior Witch on my shelves - it goes to the printers at the end of the week :D

You must have A LOT of books to organize them by topic. That reminds me of how a library is organized O_O

Thissi 1. I usually organize my bookshelves from size so it looks more clean or if it works out I like to organize them by colour so it all kind of blends in nicely with each other. I don't usually get rid of books unless I know for sure that I'll never read them again. I usually give it to someone else or donate it to my school library or the public library closest to me.

2. I don't mind that they have a history because it's cool that they were able to maintain a strong friendship after that because it's clear that she cares deeply for him still. But yeah I definitely love Anais' character and I find her really interesting.

4. I think that Cecile was incredibly brave to do what she did and help Lessa. It showed the immense strength and courage that she holds inside of her. I feel like if I had more courage I would have done what she did too. I was a little curious about the relation between Tristan and Lessa but I wasn't in dire need to know more.

Avy  (Book Looney) ❄️ (justanotherhopelessromantic) | 20 comments 1. The way I organize my bookshelves is by preference. Like I put my favorites on the first shelf and then go from there. I'm an organized freak when it comes to my books and I love when they're on display lol I hate getting rid of books, and if I do I donate them to the library :) I love re-reading books, it's like visiting old memories, and I love when I find the little clues that lead to the ending that I missed the first time I read it.

2. I always felt conflicted with Tristan's relationship with Anais. They had a history and she always cared about him and that bothered me but also made me think. Tristan deserved a friend that he didn't need to doubt at every turn. About her character, I always respected her. She was strong and brave, I would love to learn more about her.

3. I loved that part between Tristan and Cecile! I felt it was perfect timing. It made Cecile see Tristan in a different light, so that even if Tristan continued to be nasty towards her, she could have that thought that he was't what he acted like.

4. I think Cecile was really brave to intervene on Lessa's behalf. I like to think I would have intervened too. It showed her character, how courageous and kind she was. I was very curious on how Lessa was related to Tristan!

5. I think the King wanted to throw Tristan off. I feel like he wanted to shock him, and sort of show him that he was always planning Tristan's life in a way.

Cynia | 3 comments 1. Bookshelves: I don't purchase a lot of books anymore, I let the library do it for me. Last year they purchased 32 books out of 6o that I requested. Mainly my shelves have childhood books and antique books on them.
2. Initially I refused to like Anais but then grew to like and appreciate what a friend she was to Tristan.
3. I enjoyed getting a peek into what was to be more of their true feelings growing toward each other.
4. It was brave of Cecile to get involved, I would have done nothing (I am such a wee little mouse when it comes to conflicts)
yes I was curious as to how Lessa and Tristan were related.
5. The king seems to me to love stirring up trouble and cause pain.

Erika (The Nocturnal Fey) (thenocturnalfey) | 25 comments And once again, I'm late for this week's discussion, but better than never. :p

1. I organize my books based first on genre, then by author and series, and lastly by format (hardcover first). I have a separate shelf for fantasy books, and for Julie Kagawa (because I have all her books except her collabs with other authors, and I want them all together. lol). It's pretty hard to get rid of books, but I sold and gave away few before, those I didn't like very much. I also hardly reread books, because I have so much unread on my shelves. But if it's my favorite, like Stolen Songbird, I can reread the book as many as I can.

2. I'll be honest, I really didn't like Anais at first and I was really bothered that she and Tristan had a history because I don't want anyone getting in between Cecile and Tristan. lol. Yes, as selfish as I may sound, when I learned more about Anais and saw how much she cares for Tristan, my respect for her grew. Especially on the last chapters of Stolen Songbird and after reading Hidden Huntress, I saw how strong her loyalty towards Tristan is. In the end, my initial impression of her didn't matter anymore. Anais is a strong and brave character and I'd love to know more about her.

3. I think that this moment was the perfect timing. I love the phase of their relationship. The way Cecile developed her feelings for Tristan by seeing him in another light was just right. Actually, I love their banters with each other, pretend or not. I have a thing for love-hate relationship too. lol. And sometimes, Tristan's nasty behavior towards Cecile seems so real that even Cecile (actually even I) was not sure if it was still pretend. But the moment was perfect for their feelings to grow for each other.

4. The moment Cecile got involved with Lessa, I grew to love her more. That act was really brave AND foolish at the same time, but it was really admirable. If it was me, I'd surely have the urge to do the same as Cecile, but I'm not sure if I'd have the same courage as her.

5. The king always wants to control Tristan. Maybe it's his way... by shaking Tristan off and by making him fear the King and his power. He wants to send warning regarding Tristan's relationship with Cecile? Actually, I don't know. lol

Rachmi  | 13 comments 1. I used to organize my books based on the author’s names. Not necessary in alphabetical order, but just organize it from one author to another. For my favorite authors, I usually have more than 3 books so all of them are in the same shelf. But now, I don’t organize my books anymore, except for my favorite books which I put in a special shelf. I always run out bookshelf and end up put my books everywhere and am kinda lazy to tidy them up, anyway, since I don’t have much place to put them anymore. My ereader is more organize, though, as I do put my ebooks base on the author’s name in alphabetical order, as silly as it sounds, lol.

Yes, I get rid of books, usually the one I know I’ll never reread in the future. I give them for charity or just give them to my friends who want to adopt them. That way I not only have space to put my other books, but also they are more useful in other possession, at least that’s what I hope for. And yes I reread books I love. Sometimes more than I could count :D

2. I’d love to learn more about Anais! She’s one interesting character for me. But I don’t think that it bother me that she had a history with Tristan. I mean everyone had history somehow, so it’s just make sense when I know about them.

At first I didn’t quite like her and was kinda see her as Cecile “rival” though I have to say that I don’t hate her either. But the more I read, the more I know that she is so much more than what she allows me to see. And in the end she makes me think that she’s one of the best parts from Stolen Songbird.

3. I do think the moment was right. Throughout previous chapters I feel their chemistry growing slowly yet surely. That’s why I didn’t feel like Tristan and Cecile relationship based on insta-love kind of relationship, unlike in most of YA/NA books I’ve read before.

4. I think Cecile was brave to intercede on Lessa’s behalf and I might do the same with her, if I’m in Cecile position, as I really dislike the Dowager :D I wasn’t that curious as to how Lessa was related to Tristan, though. But I did curious as to why she seemed dislike to be in Montigny possession.

5. I think he wants Tristan to question Anais’s loyalty, kinda put a seed of doubt in Tristan’s mind. It’s a sad thing knowing that she once betrothed to the heir of Trollus but then she’s just his friend now and to think that she’s losing him to Cecile. Not to mention that her friends are also have a good relationship with Cecile. Well, that’s what I think the King thinks of Anais, anyway. And that way he (wish) can control Tristan easier.

Christa | 8 comments I have a set of built in bookshelves by the fireplace in the den. My big comfy chair is next to it and that's where I spend most of my time reading. When I first moved in there was no rhyme or reason to the shelves. Now they are alphabetically by author, fiction is together and nonfiction is grouped together. I kept thinking I had more books and I found 3 boxes of books in the garage a few weekends ago. So I guess I need to resort.

My husband and I had some duplicates when we got married. It's so hard to get rid of books. I put my favorite books and some of the duplicates in our guest rooms by the bed. That way when people stay they have something to read. Actually I take my favorites and have them in stacks in every room.

I was indifferent to Anaïs. I liked her after I had finished the book but wasn't thrilled by her while reading it.

I love chapter 14. The moment was just right and just enough tension. I love their verbal sparring. I also loved Tristan's love letters, especially the one about being associated with a drunk.

I was glad Cecile got involved with Lessa. It showed Cecile's bravery and cleverness by outsmarting Damia.

I hoped the king was telling Tristan about his betrothal in a moment of honesty. The king is a schemer but I felt like he wanted a moment with his son. It seems like in his own way, the king does care for Tristan. I think the king just cares for his own plans and power more.

Ellie M (byelliem) | 28 comments I'm so crazy about my bookshelves. I have my favorite series, on top, in order, and I like having them all in the same way, pb or hardcover or ebook.

I actually like Tristan’s friendship with Anaïs more so after I learned more in the extra scenes you gave! I'd like to learn more about her now, maybe get a POV or something from before.

I think Cecile was really smart and brave to step in. It showed how cunning she was and that she has guts. Love her!

Adriyanna Zimmermann (akzfineart) | 18 comments 1. I have two shelves - a big Ikea one (16 cubes) and a taller but less wide one. Most of my books go on the ikea one and are organized by authors last name. However there are a few books that have a random spot on the shelf, for ex. I don't have a lot of A's so some new purchases sit on a top shelf designated for last names starting with A. All The Rage by Courtney Summers is currently sitting on the C shelf beside City of Heavenly Fire haha. The non-ikea one is for school books, signed books and books I've won + arcs.

Most of my series are a combination of paperbacks and hardcovers but if I can help it I try to get only hardcovers. I never give my books away, except for some really old MG books (for younger cousins) and any duplicates, I'll give away as a gift.

message 47: by Danielle (new) - added it

Thissi wrote: "1. I usually organize my bookshelves from size so it looks more clean or if it works out I like to organize them by colour so it all kind of blends in nicely with each other. I don't usually get ri..."

Hi Thissi!
I love when people organize their bookshelves by color. It's perhaps not the most practical, but it LOOKS SO PRETTY! Do you take photos of your books?

message 48: by Danielle (new) - added it

Abby wrote: "1. The way I organize my bookshelves is by preference. Like I put my favorites on the first shelf and then go from there. I'm an organized freak when it comes to my books and I love when they're on..."

Hi Abby!
That's a good answer to #5. Certainly by the end of Stolen Songbird it is clear that the King is manipulating Tristan, and that remains a theme throughout the novels. One of the big plot lines in Warrior Witch surrounds the relationship between the two of them, and it was one of my favorite parts of the novel to write.

How do you feel about the King? Do you hate him or do you love him because he's a good villain?

message 49: by Danielle (new) - added it

Cynia wrote: "1. Bookshelves: I don't purchase a lot of books anymore, I let the library do it for me. Last year they purchased 32 books out of 6o that I requested. Mainly my shelves have childhood books and ant..."

Hi Cynia!
I'm not sure I'd have done anything in Cecile's situation, either. I'd like to think that I'd be brave, but I typically avoid conflict, so I'd probably have gone running to get Marc or the twins to help :)

Who do you think is worse? The King or the Duke d’Angoulême?

Avy  (Book Looney) ❄️ (justanotherhopelessromantic) | 20 comments Danielle wrote: "Abby wrote: "1. The way I organize my bookshelves is by preference. Like I put my favorites on the first shelf and then go from there. I'm an organized freak when it comes to my books and I love wh..."

I honestly have to say I both love and hate him haha I hate that he's so evil and that he's always manipulating and hurting Tristan and Cecile, but I also love him as a villain cause I never know what he's going to do next and I'm always on the edge of my seat, so to say. haha

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.