Banging Book Club discussion

2016 Books > So Much Learning

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathytrithardt) So, I know I am a little ahead here, but I just finished reading Bonk. I never thought I would read so much about sex studies in my entire life, let alone in one book. I'm going to try to shot my review video later today, but understand that there won't be much discussion for at least a couple weeks.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 23 comments Oh I can't wait to read it

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani (danieadie) | 6 comments Just starting tonight. Excited to get stuck in :)

message 4: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 51 comments OK, wow is there lots of stuff going into people's urethras in this book. Toothbrushes in the footnote on page 33 ... then the case of people mistaking their partner's urethra for their vagina (or, in the case of a gay couple, intentionally inserting one's penis into the other's urethra...).

I tend to read in the bathtub, and I read Chapter 8 in there. That was ... not ideal. As Roach described how some penile implants get inserted through the urethra (and, in a footnote, talks about how she can't possibly describe how it feels) I found myself constantly looking down and going, "Nope nope nope nope nope."

Really enjoying the book so far. Just regret taking it into the bath with me. :D

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Oulton (emmaoulton) | 8 comments I was reading on the train yesterday and I kept having to read fascinating bits of trivia out loud to my sister - which I think made the other travellers more than a little uncomfortable !! SO interesting though. I've been particularly excited to read about all the amazing female scientists in history that I didn't know about!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 23 comments Omg, Ben

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara Babcock (tachyondecay) | 51 comments Here's my review of Bonk: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aside from some interesting tidbits, I think the best thing I took away from this was that we know a lot about how our bodies work during sex--a lot more than some people, depending on where you live, will get taught. But we also still don't know a whole lot more. I liked learning about the extent and edges of our knowledge.

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani (danieadie) | 6 comments Finished this a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Much more than I expected actually. I liked the writing style and laughed out loud at how sarcastic and funny some of her comments were.

Like Ben I was amazed at how much we know - and how much sex has been studied! Really enjoyed reading about the 'how' of studying something so personal and also about the characters who dared to do it.

The only downside for me was the endnotes for each chapter. I don't know if it's because I was reading in a kindle but I could be bothered flicking to them and by the time I finished the chapter I could t remember what they referenced.

Otherwise loved it. A great choice between some other heavy topics too!

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 23 comments I'm a bit behind, but I'm loving it.