South Bay Writers discussion

Stars in the Deep: Destiny
This topic is about Stars in the Deep
TalkBooks > TalkBooks March 2016 Group Read: Stars in the Deep by David F. Snider

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chess (last edited Mar 18, 2016 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) This March, TalkBooks will be reading a science fiction novel, Stars in the Deep: Destiny, by SBW member, David F. Snider.

Book blurb from Goodreads:

When the NAVCOM Computer takes the ECS Destiny irretrievably off course, the crew and colonists on board must find an alternative world to colonize. In order to save the one way mission from catastrophic failure they must overcome various obstacles from within and without. Woven into the story are themes of love, hope, forgiveness and restoration, human spirituality and its potential parallels.

As always, we welcome your comments and questions as you read along. A group email has gone out regarding upcoming live meetings.

message 2: by Linda (last edited Mar 10, 2016 07:06PM) (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Location details for David F. Snider's in person interview have been posted on Meetup.com.
http://www.meetup.com/South-Bay-Write...

message 3: by Chess (last edited Mar 10, 2016 03:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) Thanks, Linda! Wow, this book is super sci-fi; from time to time I'm reminded of Dune and Hitchhiker's Guide.

message 4: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) David is giving away a copy of his book, Stars in the Deep: Destiny, in a raffle at the Monday meeting of the South Bay Writers club. The details of that meeting are also on Meetup.com.

message 5: by Linda (last edited Mar 16, 2016 11:05PM) (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Raffle! Raffle! David is giving away a free copy, Stars in the Deep: Destiny, at the South Bay Writers club meeting on March 14th, see details on Meetup.com:

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Chess wrote: "Thanks, Linda! Wow, this book is super sci-fi; from time to time I'm reminded of Dune and Hitchhiker's Guide."

Would you call this genre YA Sci Fi?

message 7: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) David F. Snider, please tell us about your Raffle coming up on Monday night's SBW club meeting.

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) Linda wrote: "Would you call this genre YA Sci Fi?"

Not sure yet. So far it seems intended for adults.

message 9: by Chess (last edited Mar 16, 2016 09:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) My questions so far:
1) How did you go about producing and publishing this book? Was the MS submitted to agents?
2) What made you want to write a story about colonizing humans elsewhere in space?

I'm early in the book, but I'm already wondering whether this crew was "specially selected" for the mission, not to colonize and populate but to rid Earth of their presence. I can't tell if it's foreshadowing, a build up to a twist, or a red herring. And I look forward to finding out what happens.

message 10: by David (last edited Mar 17, 2016 10:50PM) (new)

David F. | 6 comments Chess wrote: "My questions so far:
1) How did you go about producing and publishing this book? Was the MS submitted to agents?
2) What made you want to write a story about colonizing humans elsewhere in space?
..."

Hello Chess.

Q1...
The production process was somewhat long and arduous.
After a year of trite replies of "sorry, we aren't looking for this kind of thing right now..." From countless agents (claiming to do science fiction) I decided to try self publishing.

My 1st edition was done through 'Create Space' (yet another Amazon spin-off). I did it under my own label (Starhome Books).
It wasn't a bad 1st try, but it lacked a good copy edit.

I was then talked into going with Xlibris, a member of the Author Solutions organization. (There's all kinds of stuff about them, but that's for another time.)
This 2nd edition, which you're reading now, benefited from a reasonably decent copy edit. My original cover art was "tweaked a little." The footprint was slightly bigger which made the page count slightly less daunting. I included a glossary in this edition, which I felt was quite necessary.

Q2...
Space colonization has always been an area of interest for me. It is something we, as a race, must accomplish. (if for no other reason than to 'see what's out there.')

I have another possible story arc which I may revive that explores colonization from different angles.

Special seletion...
I'd love to understand what made you think this was an elaborate effort to get rid of certain types of people... In our brutal world, there are much less expensive and more permanent solutions that have been tried on certain people groups in our recent past.

As a brief bit of background, a private foundation called FRONTIER FOUNDATION was created on Earth for the express purpose of going where the Earth governments seemed too bound up in politics to go.

This colonization effort was launched and funded all on private monies and efforts.

I apologize for the rather wordy reply. This is probably why I have such trouble doing short stories...I just can't seem to shut up...

message 11: by David (new)

David F. | 6 comments Chess wrote: "Linda wrote: "Would you call this genre YA Sci Fi?"

Not sure yet. So far it seems intended for adults."

Hey Linda...
I honestly have no clue what makes YA well, YA.
I feel there is perhaps a 'young at heart' vibe to the tale, but I suspect there's more to YA than that. Being a story about colonists, and since colonists on a project of this scope are, naturally, comprised of families, there should be some youthful vibe.

All I can say is—keep reading. Here's a hint. There are some characters you may not have met just yet. They are a bit younger.

message 12: by David (new)

David F. | 6 comments Linda wrote: "David F. Snider, please tell us about your Raffle coming up on Monday night's SBW club meeting."

Hey all;
It took me a little while to figure out how to get here. Unfortunately, in that time the Raffle, which I was clueless about, has successfully taken place.

It would be nice to see our winner... Carol, I believe... Get involved in this discussion.

message 13: by Chess (last edited Mar 18, 2016 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) David wrote: "I'd love to understand what made you think this was an elaborate effort to get rid of certain types of people..."

Thanks for all your answers, David! I suspect that I'm interpreting some of what I'm reading as a comedy of errors. The ship's ability to reach the intended destination is put into question early on; there's criminal activity on board; the leaders seem to be doing their best, yet fumbling about. It could be a reflection of how people are in real life, but I tend to read between the lines. And sometimes I see lines that aren't there. :o)

message 14: by David (new)

David F. | 6 comments Hey Chess;
I suppose it could look like a comedy of errors, but after 35 years driving bus for VTA and before that, County Transit, I'm more than familiar with how many things can go wrong in transporting people places. Nothing is perfect, and we all, no matter how well trained, have our dalliances with disaster.

message 15: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Join us on March 30th for the SBW TalkBooks interview of "Stars in the Deep : Destiny" author David F. Snider. Live interview is on March 30th at the Santa Clara Library. See more details at Meetup.com

Chess Desalls (chessdesalls) David wrote: "Nothing is perfect, and we all, no matter how well trained, have our dalliances with disaster."

Haha, well put! It was a pleasure interviewing you at the live meeting. Linda and I will be in touch with the write up, hopefully within a week.

message 17: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Carol E. York did win the raffle of your book. She's an author on Goodreads. Just having a problem with GR database and can't send her any message via Goodreads. I'm talking with a GR Librarian about this problem. -Linda

message 18: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Carol E. Yorke please reply to this test message, thank you. Linda

message 19: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) David wrote: "Linda wrote: "David F. Snider, please tell us about your Raffle coming up on Monday night's SBW club meeting."

That was nice to have a raffle. Do you think you'll do a Goodreads giveaway?

message 20: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Judd (lindyjudd) Hello Everybody, here's the link to David F. Snider's live interview. It's hosted on Chess Desalls' blog:
https://chessdesalls.wordpress.com/20...

You'll find more links for David at the end of the post.
Have fun, happy reading, and may the wind of energy be always at your fingertips.