Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Can you recommend a good adult coming-of-age story? :)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Hi.
I'm in the mood for a good coming of age story with some supernatural elements (Think It by Stephen King, Summer of Night by Simmons, Boy's Life by McCammon etc. etc. etc.)
I've read a fair amount in the genre, and the mentioned books I loved, but the last many I've read in the area didn't quite do it for me. Either they didn't have the right setting, or the "scary" stuff weren't scary. :)

message 3: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I love these types of books too. I'll add

The Book of Lost Things No too scary but very dark
We Have Always Lived in the Castle Creepy as f**k
The Troop Scary and gross

and I would second
The Thief of Always Classic
and
A Monster Calls Much deeper than it looks

Hope you like them!

message 4: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2707 comments I strongly recommend The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon.

However, the ultimate master of coming-of-age-thrillers is Joe R. Lansdale:

The Boar
A Fine Dark Line
The Bottoms

message 5: by Denis (last edited Feb 25, 2016 01:09PM) (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Kirstin: That's some good recomendations right there, most of those hadn't passed my radar before, will check 'em out :)

Ekel: Love the recommendations, however, I have already read (and enjoyed) every book by Landsdale, and read (and enjoyed most of) the books by Laymon :)

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy | 103 comments These are excellent coming of age horror novels

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Penpal by Dathan Auerbach

message 7: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton | 2707 comments Denis wrote: "Ekel: Love the recommendations, however, I have already read (and enjoyed) every book by Landsdale, and read (and enjoyed most of) the books by Laymon :) "

The Traveling Vampire Show, too? In my opinion it is both his best as well as his most atypical novel.

message 8: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 2901 comments Mod
I liked December Park but while it has suspense and an unknown killer element, it doesn't have strong supernatural elements.

message 9: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Ekel: I have read The Traveling Vampire Show. It was pretty good I think :)

WendyB: I have also read December Park. I loved it :)

message 10: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Kirstin wrote: "I love these types of books too. I'll add

The Troop S..."

Thanks for the recommendations, I just finished We have always lived in the castle... NOT a feel good story, but I absolutely loved what it did. Just such a recommendation I was looking for :)
I think I'm gonna try The Troop next, it's been on my to-read-list for a while, and that shoutout from King must be worth something ;)

message 11: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments The body by Stephen King

message 12: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Rhian wrote: "The body by Stephen King"

Already read everything by King, love him to bits :)

message 13: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Denis wrote: "We Have Always Lived in the Castle"

I'm happy that you liked it!

message 14: by David (new)

David Watkins | 29 comments I would add votes to the Joe Lansdale books in this list - one of my favourite authors.

message 15: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Joyland by Stephen King

message 16: by Brian (last edited Mar 02, 2016 05:46AM) (new)

Brian Mcclain | 53 comments Bay's End was pretty darn good. Of course it's not really supernatural, so I'll admit I didn't read your post as well as I should, but it's a good enough book I'll leave it here anyways.

message 17: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Brian wrote: "Bay's End was pretty darn good. Of course it's not really supernatural, so I'll admit I didn't read your post as well as I should, but it's a good enough book I'll leave it here any..."

Hey, I actually have Bay's End already, got it as a freebie on Goodreads, but have never gotten around to reading it, gonna try it out as soon as I finish the current one I'm reading :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments I also plan to read Bay's End soon, got it at the end of last year but haven't started it yet. Looks like it fits this theme perfectly, which is why I grabbed it up (love coming of age fiction)

message 19: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Hains | 140 comments I enjoy this type as well. Some of the following fall under the "creepy kid" sub-genre, but would still count, I think.
A Good and Happy Child
The White Devil
The Other
Lost Boy Lost Girl
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Neverland
The Boy Who Drew Monsters

message 20: by Denis (new)

Denis Pedersen | 21 comments Kirstin wrote: "I love these types of books too. I'll add

The Troop S..."

Just finished A Monster Calls, read it in an afternoon. I really, really liked it! I was seeing the monster from Pan's Labyrinth in my head all the time though (and yes, I know that the monster in the book was described nothing like that, but still the image stuck!) Thanks for the recommendation!

message 21: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Denis wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "I love these types of books too. I'll add

[book:The T..."

That is such a powerful book. I'm really glad you liked it! :)

message 22: by Richard (new)

Richard Schiver | 87 comments All Roads Lead to Terror by Richard Schiver
All Roads Lead to Terror

One reviewer likened it to the movie, Stand by Me based on Stephen King's novella, The body. I'd be more than happy to provide a free copy to anyone willing to post an honest review on Amazon and Goodreads. Send me a message.

message 23: by Alissa (new)

Alissa (alissamerritt) | 141 comments My favorite sub-genre as well. Stand by Me is my favorite movie of all time, I've literally seen it more than a hundred times. Boy's Life is my favorite book of this sub-genre, it makes me smile just thinking about it. I love all these recommendations, definitely adding them to my list!

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Cairns | 5 comments I recommend my own coming-of-age supernatural mystery novel, The Witch's List - to be released in 18 days! See blog for more details:
https://thewitchslist.blogspot.com
Please check it out!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 875 comments Brian wrote: "Bay's End was pretty darn good. Of course it's not really supernatural, so I'll admit I didn't read your post as well as I should, but it's a good enough book I'll leave it here any..."

Bays End was great! Finished it last week

message 26: by PSXtreme (last edited Jul 27, 2016 06:06PM) (new)

PSXtreme http://www.huffingtonpost.com/anne-va...

I'll add one from experience Crater...a pretty decent series...