S.S. Rebel Alliance (Silent Sustained Reading Discussions) discussion

Theme of Hope

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hill | 30 comments Mod
This is a place for you to discuss how the theme of hope appears in the books you are reading. How do your characters experience hope? What type of things does your character have to go through for them to have hope? What are your personal thoughts? Don't forget to tell us what book you are reading.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott Campbell | 1 comments i hope meredith will talk to me

message 3: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 2 comments Scott wrote: "i hope meredith will talk to me"

she wont

message 4: by Will (new)

Will | 1 comments hes a savage

message 5: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hill | 30 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "i hope meredith will talk to me"

Your post on here should be about the books you are reading. Seeing as you chose the "Theme of Hope" because you are reading "The Great Gatsby" it would be creepy if you are pinning for Meredith the way that Gatsby pines for Daisy. Please write only about your novel from here on out.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Rivera | 3 comments La Linea: A Novel
My book is about a young boy living in Mexico who's parents have traveled north of the border to America. This book tells of fifteen year old Miguel's journey and what it takes for him to keep hope of one day joining his parents in the north. He is given directions by the most well known coyote in his town and things start to go downhill once he realizes what he has gotten himself into. This book has many situations of life or death, whether it be by murder or starvation. However, characters and situations are introduced to keep the hope.

message 7: by Hailey (new)

Hailey | 1 comments I'm reading Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, this book switches perspectives every other chapter, but in all centers around two characters. Alais, from 1800's medieval times, and Alice, who is a modern girl working on an archaeology site. She finds this old Labyrinth which links back to Alais. Alais is trying to make sure that no one finds out about this Labyrinth, or the books that belong with it. She's fighting an unknown battle currently, (i'm not finished with the book) but Alice keeps getting pushed away by these mystery characters when she's trying to find the reason why this exists, and why she's so drawn to it. It represents hope because maybe the Labyrinth can have a new beginning, or hope that no one else finds it and ruins something that these characters are working so hard to find. It's almost like a mystery book in a way.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin Donahue | 1 comments I am reading the book Ready Player One. This book is told from the perspective of a kid named Wade and he is in a dystopian future. He lives in a world where their is almost nothing left and he lives in a trailer that is stacked up on a bunch of other trailer. He does have one thing of hope left that makes him happy and something that he still enjoys. Their is a console called the oasis and this gives him hope that everything in his world will still be ok.

message 9: by Caleb (new)

Caleb | 1 comments I have seen this in this passage that i read about the Golden State Warriors. The theme was hope because they would hope that they can win and make it to the NBA finals.

message 10: by Selina (new)

Selina | 3 comments This theme is shown through my book "Still Alice" when she is talking amongst her children and they are discussing possible outcomes for the future. All her children, especially Lydia have so much hope in the fact that they will have a cure and Alice will be okay.

message 11: by David (new)

David H. | 3 comments I'm reading Ripper by Stefan Petrucha. My novel is about Carver Young he is an orphan hoping to find his father. Carver is being kicked out of his orphanage due to his age, unless he can get adopted first. Carver ends up getting adopted by a private investigator; Albert Hawking adopts Carver to help him find his father.

message 12: by Logan (new)

Logan James | 4 comments I'm reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K Rowling. This novel is about a young boy, Harry Potter, who discovers that he is much more important than he thinks he is. I picked the theme of hope because when he was living under the stairs, nobody loved him and he was treated badly. Later on into the book, he received a letter inviting him to a wizard school, Hogwarts. This gave him Hope and strength to keep on pressing on.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Lowery | 3 comments I'm reading "12 Years a Slave" by Solomon Northup. This book is about a free man who then gets captured back into slavery without warning. He was forced to leave his free life and his family. He then continues to suffer and get beaten to hopefully be with his family and win his freedom back. He doesn't give up and he still has hope he will get his life back.

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Taylor | 2 comments I am reading Me before You by Jojo Moyes. In this book Will Traynors life is turned upside down in a terrible accident, and he no longer wants to live because he can't have his old life back. Throughout the whole book Louisa Clark is trying to show Will that even though his life is different than it used to be, it is still worth living. The whole book is based on the hope, from Lousia and Will's family, that she can change his mind.

message 15: by Ally (new)

Ally Perkins | 3 comments The Dead

In the current chapter I am reading, the group talks about how they must have hope for a better future in order to stay alive. They can't be doubtful things will get better, because it causes them to lose hope.

message 16: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Zimmermann | 4 comments I am reading The Nightingale. France has surrendered to Germany and the Nazis are taking over. Everyone is hoping that it isn't the end for France. A soldier is staying in the home of Isabelle, the main character, and her sister and niece. Isabelle's sister's husband went away to war and they are hoping he will arrive home soon unharmed. All the women are hoping their loved ones with come home. The Germans have said that if a French soldier was captured during the war they will remain in Germany even though the war is over.

message 17: by Jarod (new)

Jarod Sullivan | 1 comments In The Hunger Games, Katniss, the main character, is thrown into a competition the is forced by the government and is a fight to the death and there can only be one champion. At first, Katniss had no hope for survival but that change when she found out how talented she is with a bow. Now she has lots of hope for surviving The Hunger Games and becoming the champion.

message 18: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Kilpatrick | 2 comments I am reading The Man In The Iron Mask. this book portrays hope within the first chapter where second prince of France is imprisoned, his hope comes from the dream and soon reality that he will be escaping the jail and over throwing his brother who is now king. This book is great but slightly long, so if you want to read it, do it over the summer.

message 19: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Kilpatrick | 2 comments Jarod wrote: "In The Hunger Games, Katniss, the main character, is thrown into a competition the is forced by the government and is a fight to the death and there can only be one champion. At first, Katniss had ..."

that grammar doh

message 20: by Payton (new)

Payton Campbell | 4 comments In Forrest Gump, Forrest is always looking for Jenny no matter where she goes he HOPES that she loves him and will stay with him

message 21: by Logan (new)

Logan James | 4 comments As you all know, I am reading "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone". After Harry receives his school acceptance letter, he is getting prepared to go to school, like getting the books he needs, getting robes, ect. I think this gives him hope because he does not know what exactly "wizards" and "magic" really are.

message 22: by Logan (new)

Logan James | 4 comments Payton wrote: "In Forrest Gump, Forrest is always looking for Jenny no matter where she goes he HOPES that she loves him and will stay with him"

Period after goes, capitalize "he", and a period after "him"... Bad grammar

message 23: by Kayt (new)

Kayt Carson | 1 comments I am currently reading the book "White Cat" by Holly Black. The theme of hope is shown through out this novel because Cassel, the main protagonist, is going against a "curse" pasted on through his family. Along the way you slowly find out Cassel is a psychopath waiting to tick. At the young age of 13 he murdered his best friend with no remorse and no one but his family knows. Anyway, hope is seen throughout because even though he's done bad in the past he only hopes to change for the better for himself. He tends to think hope is all he has left when everyone is against him. The book is fairly short but a thrill riding book that should be recommended to anyone who likes crime.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Edwards | 2 comments Im reading a time to kill. the dad is likely going to prison for shooting two kids who raped his daughter, but the mans kids have hope that he wont go to prison and the lawyer will save him

message 25: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Fisher | 4 comments Im reading The Emerald Mile and they show the theme of hope with trying to make the journey and break records. They put all they have into it and all the men hope its worth it in the end.

S.S. Rebel Alliance (Silent Sustained Reading...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

La Linea (other topics)
The Dead (other topics)