Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Getting to Know You > Stuck on reading the world

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pogue (last edited Feb 25, 2016 10:54AM) (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Hello everyone,
I am in need of some help, my goal this year is to read one book from every country recognized by the UN. I have a blog where I am writing about what I have read and what I have learned. What I need is help. I have a very strict rule set for picking out a book. I am only reading fiction or memoirs preferably written in the language of that country and then translated in to English. Some countries are easy to get books from, others are much harder.
Right now I am looking for books from the Philippines, North and South Korea. If anyone has any suggestions I am open to them.
Thank you
Edited to add, that I am looking for more modern fiction stories. I want to learn about the countries now. How people live now and the things that they have to deal with. This will be easier with fiction, memoirs can be older.

message 2: by Candace (last edited Feb 26, 2016 03:31PM) (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) If you have access to NetGalley one of the best books I have gotten off there (and was still on there a couple days ago) was The Complete Review Guide to Contemporary World Literature. (Sorry,I'm doing this on my phone.) I can't even link my review here ,but it is the greatest resource book for literature lovers. It is divided into areas of the world, then it lists works of literature that have been translated from that country into English. It even explains why those works are imprtant to the whole body of lit. If you can't get access to one, contact me and I'd be happy to look some countries up for you. (There's a wealth of books for each country so that's why I recommend trying to get one if you'll be working on this project for a year. It's made for you!) Good luck, happy to help.

message 3: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Candace wrote: "If you have access to NetGalley one of the best books I have gotten off there (and was still on there a couple days ago) was The Complete Review Guide to Contemporary World Literature. (Sorry,I'm d..."
Thank you so much for the information. I will look that up and see if I can find it.

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 632 comments Stephanie wrote: "Hello everyone,
I am in need of some help, my goal this year is to read one book from every country recognized by the UN. I have a blog where I am writing about what I have read and what I have le..."

Have you heard of this blog by a woman who also read a book from each member country of the UN? I thought her list might help you since she also chose to read a book by a writer native to each country and then translated. Anyway here is a link to her blog and the list: http://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/the...

message 5: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Laurie wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Hello everyone,
I am in need of some help, my goal this year is to read one book from every country recognized by the UN. I have a blog where I am writing about what I have read ..."

Thank you so much for this. I head part of her TED talk and that is what gave me the idea.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) | 565 comments Stephanie wrote: "Hello everyone,
I am in need of some help, my goal this year is to read one book from every country recognized by the UN. I have a blog where I am writing about what I have read and what I have le..."

Here are a couple of books that I have read recently:

Dusk by F. Sionil José, for the Philippines.

I'll Be Right There by Kyung-sook Shin, South Korea.

I enjoyed both of these books.

message 7: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Feb 28, 2016 03:24PM) (new)

Diane  | 12969 comments I have traveled to all of the UN countries (and a few others). I tend to gravitate toward historical fiction and the classics, but I did read quite a few memoirs. I tried to read at least one book from each country from a native or resident author (there are a handful I am still working on). You can see my list here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I have cataloged many books in the bookshelf by country here:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...
If you click on the "view activity" links on the right hand side of each book listing, it will show you what members of the group thought about the book.

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 632 comments Diane wrote: "I have traveled to all of the UN countries (and a few others). I tend to gravitate toward historical fiction and the classics, but I did read quite a few memoirs. I tried to read at least one book ..."

Diane, I have to say that your list is incredibly impressive. I wonder if I will ever read a book from each country, and you have multiple books set in countries that I haven't even got around to yet. Amazing, and thank you for the list so that I can use it as a reference as well.

message 9: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Diane wrote: "I have traveled to all of the UN countries (and a few others). I tend to gravitate toward historical fiction and the classics, but I did read quite a few memoirs. I tried to read at least one book ..."

Your list is impressive, and it is going to be most helpful, thank you very much.

message 10: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Hershkowitz | 2 comments My list can be found here. Hope it's helpful: https://morethananatlas.wordpress.com...

message 11: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Thank you Hallie

message 12: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Thank you Hallie

message 13: by Pogue (new)

Pogue (nulaanne) | 9 comments Sorry Hailey, I miss spelled your name and my tablet won't let me edit my posts.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie Griffin | 15 comments Stephanie wrote: "Candace wrote: "If you have access to NetGalley one of the best books I have gotten off there (and was still on there a couple days ago) was The Complete Review Guide to Contemporary World Literatu..."

My sister and I are doing a reading around the world and have had trouble finding decent books for the last three countries we have read. I saw this suggestion and looked it up, and it is available for kindle from Amazon for fifteen dollars....