For the love of Horror discussion

Getting to know you > Scariest book you have ever read?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I can't really remember the last time I as truly scared reading a book. I read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger, but the only two that really stand out are The Stand and Misery.

I'm looking for some new books to scare me!

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (racystcy27) | 7 comments Daniel, try reading books by F. G. Cottam. He is an English author with a wonderful command of the language and an extremely beautiful writing style. His books are very atmospheric and spooky, with none of the blood and gore that a lot of horror books have. His stories are well developed containing wonderfully developed characters and a lot of mystery as well. His books not only keep me up at night, but get into my dreams. I am a complete believer in the spooky unknown after reading his books. I have read 3 novels, 1 novella, and reading another novel right now. Start with Dark Echo, that totally creeped me out.

Another wonderful author that I just discovered is Noel Hynd. Most of his novels are espionage type stuff, but he has written a handful of wonderful horror stories. One of his most famous is Cemetery of Angels. Most of his ghost books really bring his ghosts to life (LOL), making you really feel for them. My favorite of his is The Prodigy which totally freaked me out.

message 3: by M. (new)

M. Van (m_van) | 2 comments Hi there,
I just read the Bird Box by Josh Malerman which I thought was great and it has this creepy claustrophobic feel to it. Something happens and all over the world people become violent and suicidal. The only way to avoid it is to keep your eyes closed.

Also I'm hearing good things about A head full of ghosts by Paul Tremblay, but its still on my to read list.

Along with Stacey's suggestions, I think you might be in for a couple of sleepless nights. Have fun!

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Great suggestions. I can't wait to read them!

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Carney | 3 comments Daniel wrote: "I can't really remember the last time I as truly scared reading a book. I read a lot of Stephen King when I was younger, but the only two that really stand out are The Stand and Misery.

I'm lookin..."

Me too Daniel. I need something to scare the crap out of me. If that's even possible. Have you read In A Dark Place by Ray Garton? Of course, it's now being heavily publicized as a Warren book because they investigated it. It's the Haunting in Connecticut story, but the book is really good. When I read it I had to buy it for $90 becasue it was out of print. I think it's back in print on Amazon now though.

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I haven't read it but it sounds great!

message 7: by Janine (new)

Janine McCaw (mc_janine) | 3 comments Stephen King's "IT". I'm allergic to clowns to this day.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 1 comments I know to say King is cliche, but I listened to the audiobook of the novella 1408 and it scared me so badly I stayed up all night!

message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (vicky_saunders) | 22 comments A can't remember the last time I was scared by a book wither. But there are sure as heck some scary creepypasta out there. When I ran out of reading material and got bored I soon ventured online.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Walsh | 4 comments It has to be We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson. Its incredibly unsettling, especially when you figure it out. There"s nothing better.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber C | 3 comments When I was in college I read this book called "Come Closer" by Sara Gran. It's a psychological horror story and a quick read but it got under my skin and the line between what's real and what's in your head got a bit fuzzy. Still gives me the creeps when I think about it.

message 12: by Frazer (new)

Frazer Lee (frazerlee) | 12 comments Still The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty for me ( i read it far too young aged 12)

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Darragh (megandarragh) | 6 comments When I was a kid, the Goosebumps Horrorland with Slappy the Dummy in it terrified me. I hate creepy dolls.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie Furlong | 2 comments A head Full of ghosts. There were sections of this book that made me look behind my back multiple times.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily pet sematry. OMG I made the mistake of reading it before going to sleep.

message 16: by Meli Playful (new)

Meli Playful | 5 comments I’ve not had a book to scare me yet tho I’ve had a few lines or paragraphs to get me creeped out. Mischief and Nightmare House by Douglas Clegg were the two that come to mind.