Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > March 2016 Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Mar 03, 2016 10:16AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18256 comments Mod
description

Here are your March 2016 Mini Challenges -- with plenty of time to comb through your shelves over the weekend. Enjoy!

RULES

** Books DO NOT have to be mysteries. You can use any genres.

** A book can only be used once for this challenge, but can be used for other challenges (Seasonal, World Trip, Ultimate, etc.).

** You DO NOT have to choose books in advance, and can change your mind at any time if you do.

** Do as many as you are able and have fun!

1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover.

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day — Read a book depicting your favorite craft or hobby.

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — Read a book that has been on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile the longest. No new books!

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc).

March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count).

message 2: by Erin L (last edited Mar 03, 2016 07:49AM) (new)

Erin L (wellreadmoose) | 503 comments 1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover.
Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6) by Darynda Jones

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day — Read a book depicting your favorite craft or hobby.

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — Read the oldest book on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile. No new books!
Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1) by Stephen R. Lawhead (added to To-Read in Feb 2010) (I think I misinterpreted this though because I have much older)

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc).
Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5) by Darynda Jones 03/02

5. March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count).
A Wedding to Die For (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #2) by Leann Sweeney

message 3: by Jackie (last edited Aug 09, 2017 02:58PM) (new)

Jackie | 105 comments Cozy Mysteries

Reading Challenges > March 2016 Mini Challenge

March 1, 2016 to March 31, 2016

Completed 2/5

1. — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover.
Ireland: A Terrible Beauty by Leon Uris

2. — Read a book depicting your favorite craft or hobby. The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

√ 3. — Read the oldest book on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile. No new books! Murder Past Due by Miranda James READ 3/29/2016

√ 4. — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc). With This Ring by Patricia Kay READ 3/29/2016

5. — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count). The Joy of Not Working: A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked by Ernie J. Zelinski

Ireland A Terrible Beauty by Leon Uris The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks, #1) by Miranda James With This Ring by Patricia Kay The Joy of Not Working A Book for the Retired, Unemployed and Overworked by Ernie J. Zelinski

message 4: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Feb 25, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3842 comments Mod
Great, I was just thinking today about it! BTW, I have a book in which a MC has the same job than me although is not easy (software...) ;)

message 5: by Julesy (last edited Mar 30, 2016 03:57PM) (new)

Julesy | 1322 comments I'm in! This is my tracking post.

March mini challenge

Updated: March 30
Progress: 5/5

1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover.
By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1) by Eva Gates By Book or By Crook by Eva Gates

Embroidered Truths (A Needlecraft Mystery, #9) by Monica Ferris Embroidered Truths by Monica Ferris - I love embroidery but unfortunately haven't done this for years due to lack of time and lack of eyesight!

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — Read the oldest book on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile. No new books!
The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar, #6) by Harlan Coben The Final Detail by Harlan Coben

Iced Chiffon (Consignment Shop Mystery, #1) by Duffy Brown Iced Chiffon by Duffy Brown -it's hard to see but there is a necklace tree on the window ledge and a necklace is hanging from it.

5. March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count).
Beach Blanket Barbie (Zoe Donovan Mystery #6) by Kathi Daley Beach Blanket Barbie by Kathi Daley - I couldn't find a cozy for my regular full-time job but this series is very close for my volunteer job. The main sleuth rescues dogs, cats and other wild animals. I have been a volunteer for Lab Rescue for 16 years. - finished Mar. 30

message 6: by Brenda (last edited Mar 31, 2016 07:28AM) (new)

Brenda | 123 comments I'm in -
5/5

1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day - Pastrami Murder: Book One in The Darling Deli Series - Finished 3/6/16

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day — Puzzled Indemnity - Finished 3/16/16

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — When Did We Lose Harriet? - Finished 3/1/16

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — June Bug - Finished 3/2/16

5. March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Fleur de Lies - Finished 3/31/16

When Did We Lose Harriet? (Thoroughly Southern, #1) by Patricia Sprinkle Pastrami Murder Book One in The Darling Deli Series by Patti Benning Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady, #16) by Parnell Hall June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2) by Jess Lourey Fleur de Lies (Passport to Peril, #9) by Maddy Hunter

message 7: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Mar 30, 2016 04:43AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 4502 comments March Mini Challenge

Progress: 5/5

A Turn for the Bad.....3/3/16

Pattern of Betrayal....3/8/16

Death Waxed Over.....3/29/15

Jewelry Can Be Deadly.....3/26/16

Seniors Sleuth.......3/30/16

A Turn for the Bad (County Cork, #4) by Sheila Connolly Pattern of Betrayal by Mae Fox Death Waxed Over (A Candlemaking Mystery, #3) by Tim Myers Jewelry Can Be Deadly (Sage Gardens Cozy Mystery Book 6) by Cindy Bell Seniors Sleuth (Winston Wong Cozy Mystery, #1) by J.J. Chow

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7354 comments I'm in! For some reason I found picking the hobby book the hardest - guess I need to work on having more hobbies!

National Irish American Heritage Month and Saint Patrick's Day — The Student Body

National Craft Month, Crochet Week and National Quilting Day — Pasta Imperfect (I'm not really crafty but I love to travel)

Old Stuff Day — Postern of Fate (purchased in 2007)

Jewel Day — Courting Disaster

Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (probably about as close as I'll get to someone doing local taxes)

The Student Body (Susan Henshaw, #12) by Valerie Wolzien Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3) by Maddy Hunter Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence, #5) by Agatha Christie Courting Disaster (Angie Amalfi, #12) by Joanne Pence Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1) by Diane Kelly

message 9: by Valerie (last edited Mar 21, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments I am in. The hobby one should be fun. My husband and I are into wine tasting/wine making (as a hobby)...and, I love to read a cozy that has to do with wine/wine making. I have one in mind that is in my TBR pile. And, now that I can do paperpacks again....

5/5

1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover. A Turn for the Bad

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day — Read a book depicting your favorite craft or hobby. My hobby is wine tasting. Treachery in Bordeaux

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — Read the oldest book on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile. No new books! Sleeping Murder

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc). Fat Tuesday Fricassee

March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count). I am an educator...and, the person who gets it is a professor. A Wee Dose of Death

A Turn for the Bad (County Cork, #4) by Sheila Connolly Treachery in Bordeaux by Jean-Pierre Alaux Sleeping Murder (Miss Marple, #13) by Agatha Christie Fat Tuesday Fricassee (Biscuit Bowl Food Truck Mystery, #3) by J.J. Cook A Wee Dose of Death (ScotShop Mystery #2) by Fran Stewart

message 10: by Amber (last edited Mar 29, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

Amber (arboan) | 109 comments 1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover. Top O' the Mournin' 03.21.16

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day — Read a book depicting your favorite craft or hobby. Twisted Threads 03.29.16

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — Read the oldest book on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile. No new books! God Save the Sweet Potato Queens03.16.16

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc). Red Queen 03.11.16

5. March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count). The One That Got Away 03.05.16

The One That Got Away by Simon Wood Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2) by Maddy Hunter God Save the Sweet Potato Queens by Jill Conner Browne Twisted Threads (Mainely Needlepoint, #1) by Lea Wait

message 11: by Becky (last edited Feb 27, 2016 05:54PM) (new)

Becky | 228 comments 1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover.

message 12: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 29, 2016 01:53AM) (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I'm in! I'll track mine in my individual challenge folder. :) I'll post the link once it's set up. ;)

My progress

message 13: by Nell (last edited Mar 29, 2016 08:30AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments March Mini Challenge
Progress: 4

Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1) by Dawn Eastman A Radical Departure (Willa Jansson, #2) by Lia Matera Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood The Tree of Death by Marcia Muller

Read a book that has a green cover.
Pall in the Family by Dawn Eastman

Read [one of] the oldest books on your shelves.
The Tree of Death by Marcia Muller

Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry.
Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood - earrings

Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job profession as you do.
A Radical Departure by Lia Matera - attorney (same profession, different job)

message 14: by Nell (last edited Feb 29, 2016 06:09AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments There's a list of jobs at SYKM:

http://stopyourekillingme.com/JobCats...

You can also find professions and hobbies on this Cozy Mystery site - It's a list by themes so you have to scroll down the page.

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/cozy-myst...

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 39120 comments Nell wrote: "There's a list of jobs at SYKM:

http://stopyourekillingme.com/JobCats..."

I love this site.

message 16: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments March mini challenge
0/5 Finished

1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day —

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day -

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day —

4. March 13 is Jewel Day —

5. March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day —

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Mar 18, 2016 07:22PM) (new)

Amanda Robke | 48 comments March Mini Challenge
2/5 Complete

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day — Read a book depicting your favorite craft or hobby. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke 3/10/16

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc). Gossamer Ghost by Laura Childs 3/18/16

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke Gossamer Ghost (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #12) by Laura Childs

message 18: by JennH (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

JennH | 548 comments 1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day — Read a book that is set in Ireland, or that has a green cover.

Undead and Unfinished by Mary Janice Davidson Undead and Unfinished (Undead, #9) by MaryJanice Davidson

March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Read a book in which someone has the same or similar job as you do (and yes, retirees and housewives/stay-at-home moms count).

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Question/clarification... I may be overthinking #3 (I often overthink things, so this is nothing new), but I have come up with several different interpretations. :) Oldest book could be the book I've owned the longest or is the oldest written or literally the oldest book (I have two created in the 1880's). :O Then, if I look at the book at the bottom of my TBR list, I would actually have to buy the book, and it would technically be new... ;) Is there a specific interpretation we should follow, or can we pick? I'm thinking of reading the oldest written book I own, Aenid by Virgil. :) I actually have The Iliad and The Odyssey (which are even older) but have already read them...

message 20: by Carla (last edited Apr 01, 2016 12:05PM) (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments 1. March is National Irish American Heritage Month and March 17 is Saint Patrick's Day Murder in an Irish Village03/03/2016

2. March is National Craft Month, the 2nd week is Crochet Week and March 19 is National Quilting Day Murder Most Finicky (I love to bake) 03/30/2016

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day Anne of Green Gables 03/27/2016

4. March 13 is Jewel Day High Strung 03/26/2016

5. March 4 is Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and March 29 is National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day Louisiana Saves the Library (I was a teacher librarian) 03/28/2016

Murder in an Irish Village by Carlene O'Connor Murder Most Finicky by Liz Mugavero Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery High Strung (Glass Bead Mystery Series Book 1) by Janice Peacock Louisiana Saves the Library by Emily Beck Cogburn

message 21: by Valerie (last edited Mar 02, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Kimberly wrote: "Question/clarification... I may be overthinking #3 (I often overthink things, so this is nothing new), but I have come up with several different interpretations. :) Oldest book could be the book I'..."

Since it also says bottom of TBR pile, I would go with one that has been floating around your house forever, and you just have not gotten to it. But, it can also mean the other as well. Biggest classifier was NO NEW ones. I would go with which ever one you would prefer. This is a friendly challenge...and, you should enjoy it.

message 22: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments May be a day or two before I get started on this month's challenge as I am finishing Geared for the Grave (The Cycle Path Mysteries #1) by Duffy Brown and I don't think it fits any of the categories for this month. I don't suppose that one of the characters is named Irish Donna and talks like she walked in out of a Lucky Charms commercial or the set of The Quiet Man counts for number 1.

message 23: by Erin L (new)

Erin L (wellreadmoose) | 503 comments Finished: Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5) by Darynda Jones for #4: Jewel Day

Much faster start this month for me!

message 24: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Kimberly wrote: "Question/clarification... I may be overthinking #3 (I often overthink things, so this is nothing new), but I have come up with several different interpretations. :) Oldest book could be the book I'..."

Reworded it. ,-)

message 25: by Gary (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:01PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments I'm having a difficult time coming up with books for this month's challenge. Back to searching my Nook. I know at least one real book will get read, as one of my Perry Mason mysteries will do for number 5. Perry is a lawyer, so am I. Although I don't do criminal defense work. Given how long ago I bought those maybe I should read two of them and kill off number 3 as well. Let's just say that they were bought new in the 1970s or 1980s. Sadly most of the Mason books are OOP.

message 26: by Gary (last edited Mar 30, 2016 07:57AM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments 5/5

Just to make the green cover is covered. No pun intended. I read two books with primarily green covers. Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3) by Gemma Halliday and Christmas in High Heels (High Heels, #3.5) by Gemma Halliday Finished both on 3/8/2016.
This seemed appropriate as it references comics, movies, tv shows, role playing games, computer games, collectible card games and other popular culture trends. Yep I'm a popular culture geek. Hexomancy (Ree Reyes, #3) by Michael R. Underwood started on my Nook on March 13, 2016. Finished 3/20/16.

3. March 2 is Old Stuff Day — Read a book that has been on your shelves/at bottom of your TBR pile the longest. No new books!
On 3/12/16 I started reading The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4) by Ed McBain in paperback as the Nook was powered down and charging. I dug into a box of paperbacks in my spare bedroom and thought this has been unread since I bought it in the 1970s, cover price 95 cents. Finished 3/27/16

4. March 13 is Jewel Day — Read a book whose cover depicts some sort of jewels or jewelry (ring, necklace, bracelet, brooch, pearl, emerald, etc). I will be reading A Beautiful Heist (Agency of Burglary & Theft, #1) by Kim Foster for this part of the challenge. Started in on this book on 3/20/16 Finished 3/30/16

Started This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1) by Phillipa Bornikova on 3/9/16 Main character is a newly minted lawyer going to work at a well heeled NYC firm. Vampires, werewolves and Fae are all out in the open and wield power in the world created by the author. (Melinda Snodgrass writing under a pen name) The firm our young lawyer works for is headed up by several vampires. Finished March 13.

message 27: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Carol wrote: "Gary wrote: "I'm having a difficult time coming up with books for this month's challenge. Back to searching my Nook. I know at least one real book will get read, as one of my Perry Mason mysteries ..."

Too bad they aren't available on Nook or Kindle and 10 bucks for a paperback is horrendous.

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Heather L wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Question/clarification... I may be overthinking #3 (I often overthink things, so this is nothing new), but I have come up with several different interpretations. :) Oldest book cou..."

Thanks Heather for clarifying. :) That means I'll be reading Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales for oldest book. I'm not sure when my parents got it, but I do remember it in the bookshelves when I was a kid (copyright date is 1975). And, nope, I've never actually read it. :O My parents may have read me a story or two, but I can't remember them. ;) Almost used it for the Ultimate Challenge last year, but read Hemingway instead. This year, I'll use it for a book with more than 600 pages, as well as this March challenge. :)

message 29: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Mar 06, 2016 12:56AM) (new)

(2 / 5)

1. National Irish American Heritage Month / Saint Patrick's Day:

2. National Craft Month / Crochet Week / National Quilting Day*: Toured to Death by Hy Conrad (3/5/2016 - ★★★★☆)

3. Old Stuff Day:

4. Jewel Day:

5. Employee Appreciation Day / National Salesperson Day / National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day: Fatal Brushstroke by Sybil Johnson (3/2/2016 - ★★★☆)

Toured to Death by Hy Conrad Fatal Brushstroke (Aurora Anderson Mystery #1) by Sybil Johnson

*: My favorite hobbies are reading and traveling, and I've played a lot of adventure games (finding clues so you can advance), so a book about a road rally competing to solve a fictional murder around Europe is the nearest thing I'm going to get for my favorite hobby ;)

message 30: by Nell (last edited Mar 06, 2016 06:10AM) (new)

Nell | 1163 comments Carol wrote: "Gary wrote: " I know at least one real book will get read, as one of my Perry Mason mysteries ..The American Bar Association is supposed to be having them re-printed..."

I loved the Perry Mason tv show and can sometimes find reruns. A few years ago, I watched several during a TV marathon weekend and was startled to see how often his behavior was highly questionable - unethical or illegal or at least on the line. The things a lawyer gets away with in TV land. SMH (shaking my head)

message 31: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Nell wrote: "Carol wrote: "Gary wrote: " I know at least one real book will get read, as one of my Perry Mason mysteries ..The American Bar Association is supposed to be having them re-printed..."

I loved the ..."

Perry crosses the ethical line more often in the early novels, which were all turned into tv episodes. Breaking and entering and tampering with evidence were not unusual in those early novels.

message 32: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments One topic down and four to go.

message 33: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2016 09:17PM) (new)

(3 / 5)

1. National Irish American Heritage Month / Saint Patrick's Day:

2. National Craft Month / Crochet Week / National Quilting Day*: Toured to Death by Hy Conrad (3/5/2016 - ★★★★☆)

3. Old Stuff Day: Icy Clutches** by Aaron Elkins (3/8/2016 - ★★★★)

4. Jewel Day:

5. Employee Appreciation Day / National Salesperson Day / National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day: Fatal Brushstroke by Sybil Johnson (3/2/2016 - ★★★☆)

Toured to Death by Hy Conrad Icy Clutches by Aaron Elkins Fatal Brushstroke (Aurora Anderson Mystery #1) by Sybil Johnson

*: My favorite hobbies are reading and traveling, and I've played a lot of adventure games (finding clues so you can advance), so a book about a road rally competing to solve a fictional murder around Europe is the nearest thing I'm going to get for my favorite hobby ;)
*: It was at my virtual shelves since 2011, when I purchased it at Fictionwise (sigh)

message 34: by Joyce (last edited Mar 09, 2016 01:41PM) (new)

Joyce (joyce39) | 21 comments 1. National Irish American Heritage Month / Saint Patrick's Day
Buried in a Bog (County Cork, #1) by Sheila Connolly

2.National Craft Month / Crochet Week / National Quilting Day*: Paper-Thin Alibi (Craft Corner, #3) by Mary Ellen Hughes

Two down, three to go.

message 35: by Julesy (last edited Mar 09, 2016 04:40PM) (new)

Julesy | 1322 comments Marisa wrote: "Great, I was just thinking today about it! BTW, I have a book in which a MC has the same job than me although is not easy (software...) ;)"

Marisa, I have the same issue! I am also in software (a senior systems analyst). There are some mysteries that have programmers or web developers, web site designers, etc., but no systems analysts. So, I decided I will use my "other" job, my volunteer work. I don't think I'll be able to complete the mini challenge, though, as I am so far behind this month. (Darned college basketball games. LOL)

message 36: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (she2beautiful) | 13658 comments 3. Old stuff day: Blood on the Bayou (Annabelle Lee, #2) by Stacey Jay by Stacey Jay (4 stars). This book has been on my TBR list for probably 3 maybe 4 years.

One book down 4 more to go!

message 37: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Marissa: I'm glad you liked Icy Clutches as much as I did. I read that one last year for a couple challenges.

message 38: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Heather, Gideon Oliver series is one of my favorites, and I usually keep his books for challenges. I enjoyed it a lot, yes.

message 39: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Just updated message 26 above adding the book I settled on for the old stuff. BTW the cover on my paperback beats the stuffing out of the current cover.

message 40: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Two down, just finished number 5 in this month's challenge.

message 41: by Lacey (new)

Lacey (she2beautiful) | 13658 comments 5. Employee appreciation day - Blueburied Muffins (Black Cat Cafe Cozy Mystery #1) by Lyndsey Cole by Lyndsey Cole (3 Stars)

I used to work in a cafe, so my job was somewhat similar to Annie's in this book. So overall that's 2 down and 3 to go.

message 42: by Gary (last edited Mar 15, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Now working on book 2 and 3 cover shots have been posted to my main post above. Now I just have to find a book with jewelry on the cover. Now the cover of the jewelry related book is posted above in message 26.

message 43: by Erin L (new)

Erin L (wellreadmoose) | 503 comments Finished up Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6) by Darynda Jones last night for a book with a green cover. This series seems to get better and better.

message 44: by Gary (last edited Mar 20, 2016 12:31PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments This month seems to be a month for non-cozy books to meet the challenge. The High Heels series maybe cozy, beyond that I have urban fantasy, police procedural, and a heist caper to round out the month.

message 45: by Gary (last edited Mar 20, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Just finished the hobby portion of the challenge. So 3 parts of the challenge down 2 to go. Message 26 has been updated.

message 46: by Linda (last edited Mar 22, 2016 05:15AM) (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7354 comments Finished up yesterday. Not too bad considering how far behind I'm feeling. Now to just get to the author of the month!

National Irish American Heritage Month and Saint Patrick's Day — The Student Body 3/6/16

National Craft Month, Crochet Week and National Quilting Day — Pasta Imperfect (I'm not really crafty but I love to travel) 3/12/16

Old Stuff Day — Postern of Fate (purchased in 2007) 3/13/16

Jewel Day — Courting Disaster 3/21/16

Employee Appreciation Day and National Salesperson Day, and National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day — Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (probably about as close as I'll get to someone doing local taxes) 3/2/16

The Student Body (Susan Henshaw, #12) by Valerie Wolzien Pasta Imperfect (Passport to Peril, #3) by Maddy Hunter Postern of Fate (Tommy and Tuppence, #5) by Agatha Christie Courting Disaster (Angie Amalfi, #12) by Joanne Pence Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1) by Diane Kelly

message 47: by Carla (new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks (carla1957) | 928 comments Congratulations Linda. Still lots of time to spare.

message 48: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Congrats, Linda!

message 49: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 440 comments Finished. (see message #9). Got a few on my TBR pile down. Especially the one that has been floating on my Kindle for several years.

And, yes, I used the challenge to justify a new purchase. LOL

message 50: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments Congrats Linda and Valerie. I hope to be done this weekend. I'm 44% done with The Con Man and 16% done with A Beautiful Heist. I read the former when the Nook is recharging.

« previous 1