Blogs > Books, Plain, and Simple

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Here ya go!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :)

To anyone who doesn't know me, here's an introduction:
I'm Raevyn, a Pinterest addict, Minecrafter, and total nerd. :)

I want to go into Gifted Education as a career. Gifted kids and teens have their own challenges; I feel like if I can help them, my life will be fulfilling.

I also want to write a book or two. That's seeming less and less likely, but I keep trying....
I firmly believe in the power of reading aloud. Once I have kids, I'll stock their rooms with books--but no TV!

With that said, I do like some television shows. My favorites are Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and....Jeopardy. Two cartoons and a game show, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the programs.

I'm working on being fluent in Spanish. Hablo español mucho. :)

My favorite movie is Big Hero 6. Are you sensing a pattern here, readers? I like animated things. LOL. But in all seriousness, it's a great movie.

My favorite music genre is country-western, like by George Jones, Vince Gill, Johnny Cash...

My favorite books besides the Bible are The Giver, The Hunger Games, Divergent, and The Maze Runner. Dystopian books are overrated as a whole, but those particular ones are amazing.

I like to cook. Next year I'm taking a school class called Intro to Foods, where pretty much all you DO is make food!

Wow, maybe my blog isn't so "plain and simple" after all...

Feel free to comment, everyone.

message 3: by Aɳɳα (new)

Aɳɳα I love all those books, and PInterest, and Spanish!! :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome. :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks.:)

I'm not that good at Spanish, so though I can understand 99% your post, I don't know enough grammar/structure to answer it. I do think it's cool that you're from Mexico.

message 6: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) This is totally cool!

message 7: by Aɳɳα (last edited Feb 25, 2016 02:58PM) (new)

Aɳɳα Hola Sarah! Mucho gusto! Mi familia es de Estados Unidos pero estoy aprendiendo a Espanol en la escuela. Me gusta!
Sorry if my grammar is bad, I am still learning! :)

message 8: by Aɳɳα (new)

Aɳɳα Gracias! ¿Cuántos años tiene?

message 9: by Aɳɳα (new)

Aɳɳα Esta bien. Tengo quince anos.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've decided to post reviews of songs, shows, movies, games, books, and websites on this blog occasionally. The first one will be posted relatively soon. Keep in mind that my taste is eclectic and a little weird. Some people might not like what I like. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :) I'm still debating on which thing to review first...

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2016 09:49AM) (new)

Review of Frozen
I'll admit that when Frozen first became popular, I was vehemently opposed to it, for one petty reason: It won an award, while my then-favorite movie (Despicable Me) didn't. I know. A pathetic excuse. I was only in seventh grade.

Anyway, my middle school had these 'tailgate parties' where you could watch movies with the English teacher or play kickball in the gym. Even then I wasn't exactly athletic, so, of course, I figured I'd watch the movie...even if I claimed to despise it,

It was enjoyable, but the school day ended right at a big moment: (view spoiler)

What did I do next? I went home and would NOT stop talking about the movie!

About a month later, I got the movie for my birthday and finally completed it. It became my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE EVER--until I watched Big Hero 6, but that story is coming in a later review.

Now, what do I think? It's certainly not perfect. The dialogue can be trite, for example.

However, I like that it's based on a rather obscure fairy tale (The Snow Queen). Maybe this will encourage children to read the original!

The many characters are well-drawn (animation wise AND character-arc wise).

There's a little romance, but with a twist--and the real love story here is about family bonds.

Overall: 4 out of 5 stars. Still my second-favorite film. I'm excited for the sequel, but Frozen stands on its own, really.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

A link in case you want to know more about the movie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

These are better than store bought peppermint candy.
http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/homemade-p...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I just came back from a long-ish walk. I'll keep trying to get fit!
Today was b o r i n g.
I played Minecraft with my sister, read some more (but not much) of my current book, and went to Sunday school, where three of my friends, the teacher, and I learned about Covetousness using Is Your Fruit Sweet or Sour?, our current study book.
Now I guess I have to do my science homework...

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Oh, and on Tuesday I have to pick my classes for next school year! The only ones I know for sure are intro to food, honors English, Spanish 2, Algebra 2, and cp biology. Other than that, IDK. I guess intro to art would be good, maybe web design....

Sorry for the rambling. :)

message 17: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;) hey, this is your 'blog' you can ramble all day long! lol

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:39AM) (new)

My church is having a youth all-nighter activity.

I signed up to make these:
http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2015/0...

message 19: by Salma (new)

Salma (louvrespaces) | 29 comments Sounds fun!

message 20: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) That is super cool!! Sounds like you will have an awesome time!!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

It was fun. :) Sorry for not posting much lately...

Random fact: My birthday is in three days. :O

message 22: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) COOL!!! Happy early birthday if I can't get on in three days.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :) It's tomorrow! It feels weird to know that soon I'll be fifteen...like nothing will change, but everything will!

My sister, my cousin, and I watched Titanic yesterday. It's so sad and a great movie, but I didn't watch all of it. I'm not much of a sit-still-for-movies type person. Especially if they're as long as that one.

message 24: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) I have heard so much about Titanic but I have never watched it....

message 25: by Avery Joy (new)

Avery Joy | 624 comments Titanic is a sweet but sad movie! (Bits of inappropriate stuff tho)

message 26: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Okay, got it. I mean, i know that i will watch it sometime. I just haven't had a lot of time and I don't like sad movies and stuff.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, there's some swearing and I read that there was a moderate sex scene. I didn't let that bother me; it's my new third favorite movie. :)

message 28: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah, i usually just ignore those parts....

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. :/

Sorry, I keep neglecting this blog. Tomorrow is my birthday party (since my actual birthday fell on a Tuesday and I had school). I'm going to help make this:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ch...
and these:
http://www.thegunnysack.com/hawaiian-...
http://erecipecards.blogspot.com/2015...
for everyone.

message 30: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Cool!!!
Happy late birthday!!!!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

message 32: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;)

message 33: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Happy late birthday!!! ;D

message 34: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

message 36: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;) no probs! I hope you enjoyed your birthday?!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I did. :)

PS: My sister's music teacher, who is also my history teacher's wife, is having a baby! Please pray for that family.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

So, since my history teacher left to be with her, we also have a substitute today for that class. I completed my classwork early thanks to a misunderstanding, so now I'm just bored. LOL.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait, I was going to post reviews! Heh. Sorry. I'm a procrastinator.

Review II: Big Hero 6
My favorite movie is, yes, a Disney film. I don't see anything wrong with that fact; BH6 is okay for kids, but I feel like tweens and teens will appreciate it more.
The plot is simple, but it's hard to describe without spoiling anything.
Why do I like this movie so much?
Unlike a lot of superhero/action movies--animated or not--this one has a lot of realistic grief and tragedy.
All the characters are likable, or at least are revealed to have some motivation behind their actions.
The characters are diverse, the plot centers around science without being dull or confusing, and...it's funny enough to balance out the aforementioned sad parts.

Conclusion: If you haven't watched it yet, do so. :)

message 40: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) I really liked Big Hero 6 too!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Raevyn wrote: "Thanks. :) It's tomorrow! It feels weird to know that soon I'll be fifteen...like nothing will change, but everything will!

My sister, my cousin, and I watched Titanic yesterday. It's so sad and a..."

I know somebody whose birthday is then, too! She is 17 now, though. :)

message 42: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Cool!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to keep this blog up a little better on this account.

Remember how I wrote about being in Intro to Food? I didn't get in that class, but I have a lot of other interesting classes to take in tenth grade, so it's okay.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

So! I want to go to church, but I'm not feeling the greatest, so I'll have to settle for reading my Bible at home. I know it's still worship, but I have this nagging sense that I'm doing wrong somehow. Any advice?

message 45: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 52 comments @Raevyn Well, it's the people that make it a church not necessarily the building. As long as you love God and put him first that's fine :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. :) I did just read some of Genesis.

ʟ ᴇ ᴀ ʜ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (leahbobeahhh) Do you mean permanently, or just one week?

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

If you mean the church issue, it's just this week.

ʟ ᴇ ᴀ ʜ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (leahbobeahhh) If it's just this week, then you're fine. I don't really like missing a week of church either!

Just pray about it and see what God says. Like Lilia said, it's the people in the church, not the building itself! :)

message 50: by Lilia (new)

Lilia | 52 comments @Hawkeye Yes! :)

« previous 1