Girls Only Book Club discussion

Blogs > From Chocolate to Books and Everything In Between

Comments Showing 1-50 of 137 (137 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Haley (last edited Feb 25, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) A Little Bit about Me
Okay, so I know if you are reading this you are crazy. No offense. I mean, if you know me, you should be scared. For those of you who don’t know me, go for it!
Anyway, my name is Haley. I am a regular teenage girl, well, maybe not so normal. I am a daughter of the King of Kings who, quite frankly, does not look like one. To be honest, I am not a bad person.
I love storytelling, and, just a heads up, some of my posts may be stories. Reading and writing books are two of my favorite hobbies. I also love to cook—mostly sweets and treats, of course. So, there you have it. Now you know a tiny bit about me!

What This Blog is going to Be About
As a matter of fact, this blog is going to be about many, many things. It will be for all ages even though some posts may be too boring for young people or too fun for old people. The main point of this blog? I have no idea. I just want to share my ideas and things like that with people. There will be topics about cooking, writing, reading, and much more. So! Let’s get the dough rolling!!!

To Wrap It Up
If you have any questions, please message me at Haley (fabulous/crazy/Daughter of the King of Kings). If you have any topics you would like to read about, please message me. Suggestions are welcome!

message 2: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Strange? Not really
Though it may seem strange, I happen to be reading Shakespeare. Yes, there is nothing strange about me reading Shakespeare. The strange part is me writing about reading Shakespeare. I mean, what teenage girl these days is glad to be reading and writing about A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Macbeth, Hamlet, or Romeo and Juliet? But, you guessed right! I am! Also, I am crazy. As most of you know, or will now know, I am hoping to go to college to get some sort of English degree. My dreams jobs are the following: owning a restaurant, becoming a photographer, authoring books, and/or teaching English. Strange, right? I hope to do one or more of those careers. What does this have to do with Shakespeare? Well, currently, it has a lot to do about Shakespeare.

Becoming Well Rounded
Right now, I am in the mood for writing (as I always am) but in order to become a good writer, as of many other things, I need to be well rounded, in the mental sense, not the physical. How do I become well rounded? There are many ways but my favorite is reading! That has something to do with Shakespeare, doesn’t it?! But there are more authors than William Shakespeare. I have a whole list of them! And there are books of books and authors. From the children’s classic author, Elizabeth George Speare, to the most famous local/color writer, Mark Twain! And many more in between.

Books n Stuff
Over the course of the next many weeks, I will, hopefully, post on book I have read. Even if it is in the classic genre or it is a ‘mcbook.’ You’ve never heard of a mcbook? A mcbook is what my mother calls all the fiction romance books I read. As you can tell, I love mcbooks.
Momentarily, I will do my first book. Guess what it will be!?

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare
Rating: 4
Genre: Classic, comedy, and drama

message 3: by Celestial (new)

Celestial This is an awesome blog Haley! :D I think the Shakespeare thing is funny. ;) Do you really like photography?

message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah! I love photography! One of my favorite hobbies. :) You?

message 5: by Celestial (new)

Celestial It is one of my favorite hobbies too. :D

message 6: by Salma (new)

Salma (louvrespaces) | 29 comments I love your blog Haley.God has really blessed you with an amazing talent!God bless!

message 7: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh that is awesome, Celestial!!! I may even be going to a journalism camp that has photography stuff in it too! I am so excited!!

Thanks, Salma!!! God bless you, too!!!

message 8: by Celestial (new)

Celestial That sounds so cool Haley. I was am thinking of doing some sort of journalism in college. :)

message 9: by Haley (last edited Mar 07, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah!! Hey, maybe one day we will meet each other at a journalism conference! lol ;)
Where do you live? lol Maybe the camp is near you?

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) I Don’t Want Easy; I Want Crazy
Okay, so if you know me, you know I absolutely love country music. My favorite artists? You don’t want to ask that question. I have my favorite songs of each artist! Every time I am in the car or in the house, bored, I turn on the country music radio station. But! That has nothing to do with what I am going to write about. Well, maybe it does just a little because I listen to country music when I am in the kitchen! So, let’s start getting crazy in the kitchen! Who wants the easy stuff? I want the crazy stuff!

Bake Away
Desserts—that is what I make. Fine, I also make snacks, too. But, sometimes a snack can be a dessert, so. Some of my ‘signature’ recipes are the following: cinnamon rolls, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, and bread. See a pattern in there? I do!! I do make many other snacks and such, especially when we are doing a road trip. Or my mom is in a good mood. She loves all the health food stuff. Not good for me when I want to make something with sugar.

Stuck but not Still

Problem here--I’m stuck. I’m stuck but I have a million things to say. Whenever I start talking about food, I always don’t know where to go. Should I talk about recipes? Should I talk about some tips in the kitchen? Should I change the subject? Definitely not.

Muddy Buddies—The Snack that could Kill Me
I, as you can see, decided to talk about on muddy buddies. This snack could seriously kill me and make me gain a ton of weight. If you haven’t tried it, you definitely should. It is absolutely sick! In a good way, of course. As you can guess, that is the recipe that I will be posting today. As for the book, I don’t know. Moving on! I can’t get side tracked by books. Muddy buddies also are one of the easiest snacks to make. Seriously, it only has a few ingredients but it makes a lot!

A Few Tips on Making Muddy Buddies—Tried and True
I have made muddy buddies millions of times. So, I am pretty much an expert on it!
 Before pouring the chocolate chip mixture on the Chex, make sure the mixture is cool.
 Add the vanilla in after you are finished microwaving.
 If you want these to taste even more amazing, grind up regular, white sugar into confectioners’ sugar.
 If you have any questions, please comment!

Recipe: http://www.chex.com/recipes/chex-mudd...
Rating: 5
Type: Dessert/Snack

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde
Genre: Drama/Comedy/Romance

message 11: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I love your posts Haley. They're awesome, and funny. Being funny is a GOOD thing. I don't know how I would live if the people around me had no sense of humor. By the way I am totally weird too, part of being homeschooled, EMBRACE IT!!!! Although I am sure you already do that. :D

message 12: by Celestial (new)

Celestial This recipe sounds amazing! I forgot to mention that. :)

message 13: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh totally!! And thanks so much, Celestial. I wasn't sure how everyone would take my posts. Sometimes they can be quite crazy!!
And I embrace is ALL the way!!

BTW, muddy buddies are amazing!!!

message 14: by Celestial (new)

Celestial My mom or one of us girls always make a dessert for the holidays which we call the Deadly Dessert.

message 15: by Celestial (new)

Celestial It had brown sugar, butter, flour, and salt packed into a brownie type dish. Then we pour melted chocolate and butterscotch chips along with toasted pecans on top. Finally we bake it. (It probably has more ingredients, I just can't remember them all.)

message 16: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh my stars, that looks amazing! If you have the recipe, please send it to me! I will definitely have to try it!!

message 17: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Sure. I just have to find the recipe. My mom keeps binder full of recipes. It is SO full that the binding is breaking. It is also slightly difficult to find things in it.
However this is a special recipe, so it should be easier to find.

message 18: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) My mom does the same thing!! We have folders on computers full, actual folders full, and papers lying around everywhere!

message 19: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Yes! Same with my family! Except we don't generally put folders on the computer. :) My younger sister also LOVES to bake, so she is constantly finding new recipes.

message 20: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh, she sounds exactly like me!! lol I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing. ;) lol jk

message 21: by Celestial (new)

Celestial :D My younger sister wants to open a bakery when she is older. I hope she will be able to.

message 22: by Celestial (new)

Celestial She often forgets ingredients, and then has to add them at a different time. My brother and I decided that she should call her bakery The Forgetful Baker. :)

message 23: by Hanny (new)

Hanny (ohanna) | 340 comments When I was little I wanted to open a bakery but now I want to have my own café.

message 24: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Celestial wrote: "She often forgets ingredients, and then has to add them at a different time. My brother and I decided that she should call her bakery The Forgetful Baker. :)"

lol that is so hilarous!! So I was making pumpkin muffins one day and I had everything in the pans when I realized i didn't add the pumpkin!! So, I think that your sister and I shouldn't be partners!! lol

message 25: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Hanna wrote: "When I was little I wanted to open a bakery but now I want to have my own café."

Oh cool!
I hope to start/work at a bakery one day!!

message 26: by Celestial (new)

Celestial That's really funny Haley!!!! You two would probably be great partners. :)
My little sister and I are really good friends with these two little girls. We are like their older sisters. One of the girls became inspired by my sister, and now she wants to become a baker or chief. It is really funny because she knows what she's talking about in regards to cooking or baking. :D Once my mom was making some broccoli or asparagus, and the little girl started discussing how to cook. It was really funny and adorable. :D

message 27: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) lol that is SOO cute! I hope to one day meet someone like that so we can talk in the weird language of cooking. Sometimes when I am talking to my sister in law, I go on and on and then I pause and am like, "Umm, I think I just talked about the baking of cookies for like five minutes."

message 28: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Do any of your sisters like baking? My older sister is in nursing school and she talks to me and my family about it all the time. It's fine with me because I think it is really interesting. Do you like cooking or baking more?

message 29: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Some of my sisters like helping me bake but they aren't 'into' it into it. They just like eating it! lol I love baking way more!!

message 30: by Haley (last edited Mar 14, 2016 03:16PM) (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Lavender’s Green Dilly, Dilly….
Who likes the non-animated Cinderella? Me!!!! Yeah, this is totally random but I didn’t know what I wanted to write about so I chose this! Yes, the movie but Cinderella and such children’s books! I mean, yeah, I am fourteen years old, kind of old to be reading picture books, but I still read them anyway. Who cares what everyone else thinks? I like children’s books! Besides, I need to have some book ideas for my nieces and nephews and kids in the future. And if I am going to be an author, I need to be well-rounded in all genres.

My Favorite Children’s Books
Because I started off by quoting the lullaby in Cinderella, I need to talk about a Cinderella children’s book.
Ruth Sanderson—one of the best illustrators and picture book writings in all times. Well, my favorite picture book illustrator. She writes many, many, many picture books which are absolutely amazing. My favorite of hers are as follows: Rose Red and Snow White (My ALL time favorite), Cinderella, The Snow Princess, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and pretty much all of her other books. But seriously, Rose Red and Snow White is my absolute favorite. Practically every time I went to the library I got that book.
Okay, so those aren’t my only favorite picture books; I do have more.
The rest are—
Donut Chef by Bob Staake
Tea with Milk by Allen Say
Now We Can Have a Wedding by Judy Cox
Brave Margaret by Robert San Souci
Allison by Allen Say
Grandfather’s Journey by Allen Say
Sophie’s Masterpiece by Eileen Spinelli
Marguerite Makes a Book by Bruce Robertson
Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude by Keven O’Malley
I mean, all of those books are seriously super!!!

Sugar for a Child’s Heart
Ever hear of the book, Honey for a Child’s Heart? Well, I decided to change my little title to Sugar for a Child’s Heart. I mean, which is better? Sugar or honey? Sugar all the way!! Get to the point! Yes, I will!! Give me just a second!
My point is that children need books. TV, movies, video games, sports, etc.—that is all very important but so are books.
Books are important for any child’s development. Reading broadens anyone’s horizons!

Soft Pretzels
Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/24272/bu...
Type: Snack

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Rating: 3
Genre: Classic

message 31: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I love children's books! I have so many great memories from them. I totally agree that books are important for children. I hope and pray that one day my kids will be just as into books as I am.

message 32: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yes, definitely!!!

message 33: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Baking Soda or Baking Powder?
Okay, I have to make confession. Yesterday, my mom asked me to make biscuits to go with dinner. I, of course, said, “Sure! I love biscuits!” So, I started mixing up the dough. My family always makes Baking Powder Biscuits so that is what I decided to make! I, apparently, thought it read Baking Soda Biscuit. And, it just so happened that we were doubling the recipe!!! So, --here come the embarrassing part—I did two tablespoons of baking soda instead of powder. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that I did something wrong until they were in the oven and it was too late.

Baking Soda Biscuits (Supposed to be Powder!)
Baking soda biscuits are not the greatest thing. We had to load butter and honey on them. After we did that, they weren’t so bad, but even so, they had a horrendous after taste, especially for those who decided to eat the biscuits last. Don’t worry! I did warn every one of my mistake. I live in a big family so we usually don’t have a lot of leftovers.
Well, we did.

Read then Make
The strangest part about this story is that I was just telling my mom that I follow the recipe. She usually doesn’t, by the way, so we always tease her that she can’t make the same thing twice. But seriously, I was just saying that I always follow the recipe and read it before I start making it. Is this a coincidence or something? I mean, that was totally strange.
Warning: Read the WHOLE recipes before you make it.

Anyway
Yeah, I just thought I would tell you all that story. Embarrassing but as you know, I laugh right along. Luckily, we finished off the day with an amazing TV show—When Calls the Heart. Sure, I’m obsessed. We have a sibling rivalry going on in this household. My brothers say that the TV show Heartland is better than When Calls the Heart. My sisters and I all say that When Calls the Heart is best. On our door, we have a white board and, if you come over now, it reads, “When Calls the Heart #1.”
For those of you who have watched those two shows, which do you think is better? I will slap you if you disagree with me! Just kidding!

Pride and Prejudice adapted by Stacy King
Rating: 4
Genre: Anime, magna, classic, romance
Series: Magna Classics

Baking Powder Biscuits
Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6797/mom...
Type: Snack, appetizer

message 34: by Celestial (new)

Celestial That was a really funny story Haley. :) I don't watch Heartland, so I wouldn't know which is better. For the record I am sure the winner is When Calls the Heart. :D

message 35: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) I absolutely love you, Celestial!! *hugs* You are totally awesome!!!

message 36: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Book Reviews
So I was thinking of doing that thing where you get books sent to you and then you write a view for a publishing company. My sister-in-law does that too so that is why I have decided to look into it. You have to start a blog to do it. Me? I mean, that would be fine for me because I love writing but the hard part would be writing the reviews! I mean, I have never done an actual book review before. And no, book reports don’t count to me. I have no idea why I am writing this but I just put my fingers on the keys and let them do the work.

Anyway…Big News
I FINISHED MY ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH FIRST DRAFT OF MY BOOK!!!! Yeah, I am sort of freaking out. Spell check says I repeated the word ‘rough’ three times but I don’t care. It really needs a lot of work, but I am still excited. I am reading it once and then am going to set it down for a while. Then, I will pick it back up so I won’t know everything it says, word for word. But, as I am reading it, I realize that I have to add more explanations and stuff like that. And I have to take away useless parts. And I hope, that if this book every gets published you all will fall in love with the characters. I already have!! I sigh every time someone comes onto the page. I won’t say who, though!

Writing Camp Time
As some of you know, I had been looking for a writing camp to go to, like a legit writing camp. Well, I found one!! It is a journalism camp, but it still has the creative writing and poetry!!! And even better, it also has photography, too! I am super excited because it looks just so awesome!!!

Random
Yeah, I know, these are the three…no, four most random topics to write about. At least they all have something to do with writing. But, I just felt like writing about those things. And, see, now I am writing about why I am writing random. Is that crazy or what?

Monster Energy Cookie Dough Bites
Recipe: http://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2014/0...
Type: Snack

To Whisper Her Name (Belle Meade Plantation, #1) by Tamera Alexander To Whisper her Name by Tamera Alexander
Genre: Historical, romance
Series: Belle Meade Plantation

message 37: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I've been really interested in the book review thing too. Unfortunately I'm still trying to write more reviews. :)

I'm so glad that you found a writing camp. It is even cooler that it also includes photography! That sounds like so much fun. :D

Bravo for your first draft! What is your book about?

message 38: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah! Well, maybe we will both have to start sometime soon! ;)

Definitely! I am super excited except the camp is during the last week of July! So far away!!!
Woohoo! Yes! I will actually post the summer of my book!

message 39: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Kidnapped Love

Set in the 1870s, follow the story of Olivia Marshall who lived in the country by her family and had always had a normal life. She never expected an adventure when she met a mysterious man named Asher Crown. He had been running away from a group of bandits that he left and never wanted to go back. When Olivia got kidnapped, he had no choice but to find his way back to them to rescue her. Both hearts became involved and they never expected to fall in love…until their love is kidnapped.

message 40: by Dominique (new)

Dominique (domsreadingadventure) Ooh defiently do that, I wanna know what your book is about to :)

message 41: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;)

message 42: by Dominique (new)

Dominique (domsreadingadventure) ooh that sounds good Haley! :)

message 43: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Thanks!!!

message 44: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I will totally read your book Haley. It sounds really interesting.

message 45: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Aww thanks!! I hope it is good!

message 46: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Spring Cleaning
Who likes spring cleaning? Seriously? I mean, I have no idea who actually ‘likes’ spring cleaning. It is probably the worst time of the year. Well, not really, but whatever. I still don’t like it. Well, except the cleaning-out-the-closet part. I mean, I love trying on clothes that haven’t been out in a while.
Anyway, since it is part spring break this week, we have to clean.
The other part? We are going on vacation!! Woohoo!!

Big News, Yes, Again
I seriously cannot remember what the ‘big’ news is!! I started writing this yesterday and now, I can’t think of what I want to say. Let’s see. Think, brain, think! I’ll just come back to this topic, if I can remember.

Vacation
So what is your favorite thing to do when you are driving to vacation? Yeah, someone didn’t ask me that question; I decided to ask myself that question. Well, usually my family gets a book on CD to listen, but I just don’t like listening to books and sitting still and not thinking. No, I am not crazy. I need to be doing something, concentrating. But my favorite thing to do is probably read. Books—I always have at least three books on a vacation. What do I do if I get bored? I can read!! Reading isn’t the only thing I do. I mean, where we go is usually seven hours away. I cannot read for seven hours straight. That is way too long! But another thing I like to do is watch a movie or two. That passes an hour or two of boringness. I also like thinking up stories, but I can do that whenever I want and I need it to be quiet for that. Also, I love making up stupid stories. Sometimes, depending on our mood, we pass around a story. That means that we each make up a sentence and then add the sentences to each other. It usually makes no sense, but it is fun to read later.

message 47: by Celestial (new)

Celestial My family listens to books on car trips too. I didn't know anyone else did that. :) Generally when we aren't listening to books we're listening to music or talking. We talk A LOT! I also read in the car, but sometimes I get car sick. :(

message 48: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) That is so cool!! And I thought we were the only ones to listen while we drive. lol Yeah, we listen to music and talk a lot too!
Ugh, car sickness. Luckily, I don't get that but my sister does. I bet it is just horrible. But, the horrible thing for me is that i get headaches. Horrible headaches after the trip.

message 49: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Oh that does sound bad. Headaches are the worst....Ok probably not, but they are pretty close. :) For some reason I like car trips. There is a kind of peace being settled between backpacks and pillows. :D

message 50: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah. lol
But yes! I love car trips! Going places!!! So fun!!!

« previous 1 3