The Young Adult Historical Fiction Society discussion

Important - Society Business > 2016 Nomination: Book For March's Group Read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cristal (Professional Book Procrastinator) | 91 comments Mod
Let me know in the comments below what book you would like to read for March!

message 2: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 120 comments It's women's history month so I suggest a fictionalized about real women's experiences. I saw this book on another author's blog and thought it looked interesting.
Sweet Home Alaska by Carole Estby Dagg

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Chapek | 7 comments Looks good to me. I think it's a good idea to relate the read to women's history month, too.

message 4: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Would anyone consider Nomansland Nomansland by Lesley Hauge . It's a post-apocalyptic/ dystopian look at an all-female society.

message 5: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Duh, I'm in too many groups. A futuristic post apoc story does not quite fit the historical fiction genre. Sorry about that.

message 6: by Luci (new)

Luci (luciskydyme) I'll nominate a great read about a college freshman who has to overcome a family scandal and an evil crime group, really good coming of age, young adult story set in 1975
When Saigon Surrendered: A Kentucky Mystery

message 7: by Susan (last edited Feb 28, 2016 06:46AM) (new)

Susan Chapek | 7 comments Luci wrote: "I'll nominate a great read about a college freshman who has to overcome a family scandal and an evil crime group, really good coming of age, young adult story set in 1975
[book:When Saigon Surrende..."

Wow. Looks like a self-published book, with all Amazon reviews 3 stars, or higher. That's good! I looked at the sample, and I would read it, though I personally would like to honor the Women's History Month theme for March, and read this book in April.

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (thestarryknight) | 9 comments Atonement by Ian McEwan? (Not sure if I spelled his name right.)

message 9: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 120 comments I read a lot about girls/women in history if anyone wants any recommendations. {author:Jennifer Lynn Holmes], Karen Cushman, Kirby Larson are active YA historical fiction writers whose books feature strong female leads based on real history.

message 10: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 276 comments Mod
Having a book that goes with the theme of women's history month is a great idea :-)

message 11: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 64 comments Uprising by Haddix?

message 12: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 120 comments Nanci wrote: "Uprising by Haddix?"

That's one of my favorites! It made a lasting impression on me. "Bella and Yetta and Jane." Read it with a box of tissues. Up until I read that novel, I hadn't realized that the fire took place the year my grandmother was born and wondered whether they knew anyone from the village in Italy who went to New York and worked at Triangle. It also made me more aware of where our clothes come from and I try to be a more ethical shopper.

message 13: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 120 comments Good choices this month- two of my favorites. I've been into women's history since I was um about 9 or even earlier so I have read and enjoyed both of these novels. I added my thoughts to the discussion threads. I don't think I can read Uprising Again but maybe I will reread Hattie and see what else I have to add.