Aussie Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Chat about whatever you like: the weather, good stuff, bad stuff, family or pets!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 11,635 (11635 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 232 233

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Feb 25, 2016 02:07AM) (new)

Brenda | 70535 comments Mod
I'm starting a new Chat thread as I think the old one is too full of pages and pages of posts. Here's the link to it, so you can check the last few days or just hours if you wish:)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And I'll link this one in the old thread before I archive it... hopefully that all the problem is!

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

OK all sorted guys:) I hope there are no problems now!

Michael, you can repost your last post in here if you'd like...

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) This is terrible news for Dick Smith employees. I would say it was inevitable but it does not make it any less hard hitting for the 2'500 odd people effected.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-25... :(

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Shocking... I saw the news earlier; the poor things:(

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3224 comments Brenda wrote: "Shocking... I saw the news earlier; the poor things:("

Yes, our youngest has just landed a job there, and starts next week! His manager rang today to tell him he'll have the next 8 weeks at least. She was devastated, poor thing.

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Feb 25, 2016 02:44AM) (new)

Oh no! That's terrible Leonie....I hope he's going to start looking for another job straight away.

message 7: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3224 comments Brenda wrote: "Oh no! That's terrible Leonie....I hope he's going to start looking for another job straight away."

Yes, he's quite philosophical about it. He's on the hunt already, and will work out the 8 weeks.

message 8: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Mahmoud Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie here. Would love to share your most loved books on any topics.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) That is awful news Leonie. To go from all excited about having paid employment to knowing you will only have it for a minimum two months work is just cruel. :(

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Leonie wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Oh no! That's terrible Leonie....I hope he's going to start looking for another job straight away."

Yes, he's quite philosophical about it. He's on the hunt already, and will work o..."

That's good Leonie...upsetting though:(

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sophia wrote: "Hello everyone,
I'm a newbie here. Would love to share your most loved books on any topics."

Welcome Sophia:) If you head to the Currently Reading thread, you'll see discussion on various books - browse through the threads and join in any conversations you'd like to. This thread doesn't do a lot of book discussion - everything else though;)

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3224 comments Brenda wrote: "Leonie wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Oh no! That's terrible Leonie....I hope he's going to start looking for another job straight away."

Yes, he's quite philosophical about it. He's on the hunt already, ..."

Yes, and rather frustrating.

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'd hate to have to do it - as Michael said; starting again with the whole CV, interviews etc! Erk...

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) Me to Brenda. I have not had an interview for over 17 years now.

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Mahmoud Thank you Brenda.

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Michael wrote: "Me to Brenda. I have not had an interview for over 17 years now."

It gets harder as you get older, and things change so much. Not so bad for Leonie's son, as he's young and up to date with it all...but when you've gone so long between interviews, it's pretty daunting!

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sophia wrote: "Thank you Brenda."

You're welcome Sophia:) Enjoy the group and happy reading!

message 18: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3224 comments Brenda wrote: "Michael wrote: "Me to Brenda. I have not had an interview for over 17 years now."

It gets harder as you get older, and things change so much. Not so bad for Leonie's son, as he's young and up to d..."

Yes, I can't remember the last time I actually had to do the whole resume thing!

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! Me either...it was a VERY long time ago;)

message 20: by B the BookAddict (last edited Feb 25, 2016 09:13AM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments Disappointing that the owners feel that Dick Smith stores did not fit into the retail landscape anymore. Personally, I always shopped there and found the staff were more than willing to take the time to explain new tech things to me. Practically the only other place here to buy these type of goods is at Harvey Norman and I don't like shopping there. Plus the staff were more patient and overall just more pleasant. Now I'll have to travel over two hours or shop online and I prefer to see a tech good in actuality before I buy it.

message 21: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments New free book source. While sourcing info my Literary History thread, I have found a new free books source at Forgotten Books: http://www.forgottenbooks.com/

message 22: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Leonie wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Shocking... I saw the news earlier; the poor things:("

Yes, our youngest has just landed a job there, and starts next week! His manager rang today to tell him he'll have the next 8 ..."

Tell him to still do it - because it will be something to put on his resume even if it is a short time. Prospective future employers will know he stopped because he had to, not for anything bad :)

message 23: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 B the BookAddict wrote: "Disappointing that the owners feel that Dick Smith stores did not fit into the retail landscape anymore. Personally, I always shopped there and found the staff were more than willing to take the ti..."
You were very lucky with your Dick Smith store - the one near me was an absolute joke with staff ignoring you and being particularly unhelpful - people avoided the store unless they knew what they wanted and there was a sale.

We are lucky though in that we have JB Hi Fi which is almost the same but sells CDs and DVDs as well.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Our Dicksmith workers were nothing but the name of the store minus the smith! terrible service everytime so i stopped going there. online service was pretty shocking too.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1681 comments Laura wrote: "Our Dicksmith workers were nothing but the name of the store minus the smith! terrible service everytime so i stopped going there. online service was pretty shocking too."

Hahaha Laura - I have to agree for the most part. Also, the prices were rarely competitive, so this whole thing comes as no surprise to me.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk7yw...

message 27: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8385 comments Michael wrote: "The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk7yw..."

Looks good!

message 28: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments The local news says that six people will lose their jobs with the Dick Smith store closure. It doesn't sound like many but I reckon it'd be a big deal to those six, living already in a strained job market. The only usually easy to find work is at the abbs (abattoirs) and no-one sensible would want to work there, imo.

message 29: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8144 comments Michael wrote: "The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel.

Does look good Michael! Any idea when it'll be showing here?

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1681 comments Michael wrote: "The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk7yw..."

Oh wow, it looks fantastic; I can barely wait! I have actor-crushes on both of them, and it was filmed around where I grew up.

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Looks awesome! Thanks Michael...

message 32: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8385 comments I usually get the Sydney Morning Herald on the weekend so I can read the Good Weekend Mag (DH reads the rest, passes over the book section of Spectrum). This weekend's edition says the GW mag in in the News section (usually contained inside Spectrum section) but there is no GW in any of the SMHs I looked in, both at IGA and the newsagent. Anyone else?

Jülie ☼♄  | 6327 comments Am incommunicado atm..my email addie has crashed since wednesday and computers are acting crazy! People are working on it but...hmmmmmm!!!! Not happy Jan!

Be back asap.

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh dear Jools:( Sorry to hear!

message 35: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Andrea wrote: "Michael wrote: "The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel. https://www.youtube.co..."

I'm hanging out for this one too Andrea. Was it filmed in or near Stanley? Someone had said that's where they were filming it. We never got that high up when we were in the West but I've seen photographs and it is amazing.

message 36: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8144 comments Marianne wrote: "I usually get the Sydney Morning Herald on the weekend so I can read the Good Weekend Mag (DH reads the rest, passes over the book section of Spectrum). This weekend's edition says the GW mag in in..."

We got ours Ok Marianne.

message 37: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8144 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Am incommunicado atm..my email addie has crashed since wednesday and computers are acting crazy! People are working on it but...hmmmmmm!!!! Not happy Jan!

Be back asap."

Not good Jools! Hope you get the computer gremlins sorted out soon :)

message 38: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5957 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Am incommunicado atm..my email addie has crashed since wednesday and computers are acting crazy! People are working on it but...hmmmmmm!!!! Not happy Jan!

Be back asap."

Hope it gets sorted soon Julie. Computer gremlins are a pain.

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Am incommunicado atm..my email addie has crashed since wednesday and computers are acting crazy! People are working on it but...hmmmmmm!!!! Not happy Jan!

Be back asap."

Oh dear :/ Hopefully it'll get all cleaned up and will be as good as new very soon!!

message 40: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8385 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Am incommunicado atm..my email addie has crashed since wednesday and computers are acting crazy! People are working on it but...hmmmmmm!!!! Not happy Jan!

Be back asap."

aaargh, hope they fix it soon, Jools

message 41: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11688 comments Mod
I feel your pain Julie. My internet was down for 24 hours and I spent a painful two hours on the line to a technician who I could barely understand this morning doing such useful things as rebooting the modem!!! At least we got it going again:)

message 42: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11688 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel.

It looks horrendously emotional actually. Worth at least one whole box of tissues.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Phrynne wrote: "I feel your pain Julie. My internet was down for 24 hours and I spent a painful two hours on the line to a technician who I could barely understand this morning doing such useful things as rebootin..."

Just a tip...If the internet is down and you use a router or such that's the best thing to reboot it....I usually do this and for the most part I never have to call my internet provider to ask what's going on. Thought it worth a mention in cause it crops up again :)

-

Went shopping this morning...Brought some art supplies...Really just copics and various brush pens from Pentel...It's nice when you go into a shop and the person you're talking with has some idea or can make suggestions to help you out. Was a good experience...Had been meaning to get to the shop for a while now but I usually would drive pass so this time I just made an effort to just go there. I may of walked out of the shop $60 lighter but it's worth it!

Jülie ☼♄  | 6327 comments Thanks all, it's still not fixed properly. Got everyone flummoxed. Now I am able to send emails but am still not recieving any on my ipad, and I am recieving them on my laptop but can't send from there!?! My DH and I are barely on speaking terms by now as he & my B-in-law decided to delete ALL of my emails while I was out this morning, in their efforts to fix the problem!! This has been a problem since wednesday, and frustration is getting the better of us :( the Optus guy was supposed to ring back this afternoon but hasn't and I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from my lack of technical playtime!
Fortunately, after much shouty words on my part, I was able to retrieve the deleted emails but now live on fear of further intervention by frustrated DH's with suggestions...I made a few of my own and B-in-law and sister made a hasty exit for their own home...lol, they won't be back for a few weeks ;)

So I still am not getting my GR updates and can only find messages by checking into the site from time to time on the computer, so apologies if I have missed anything...can't tell when this will get sorted :/
I did manage to sooth my frayed senses somewhat this morning by buying a book :P it looks really good: The Soldier's Curse by Margaret Keneally, a debut and the first in a new series.

message 45: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited Feb 26, 2016 10:57PM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6327 comments Phrynne wrote: "I feel your pain Julie. My internet was down for 24 hours and I spent a painful two hours on the line to a technician who I could barely understand this morning doing such useful things as rebootin..."

Thanks Phrynne. I agree with Laura too, this is always my first line of defence when the internet goes down and usually does the trick...pull the plug and count to ten before plugging back in ;)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6327 comments Michael wrote: "The first trailer for the movie adaption of The Light Between Oceans is out, starring Michael Fassbender as Tom and Alicia Vikander as Isabel.

Looks great Michael, can't wait to see this one!

message 47: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8385 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Thanks all, it's still not fixed properly. Got everyone flummoxed. Now I am able to send emails but am still not recieving any on my ipad, and I am recieving them on my laptop but can't send from t..."

Oh Jools, you are funny, even if you don't mean to be. Shouty words and your sister/BIL making a hasty exit, LOL.
But DELETING all your emails? OMG!!! I would be shouting too!

message 48: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5957 comments ☼♄Jülie wrote: "Thanks all, it's still not fixed properly. Got everyone flummoxed. Now I am able to send emails but am still not recieving any on my ipad, and I am recieving them on my laptop but can't send from t..."

I do like your solution of buying a book, Julie.

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments OMG...Deleting all your emails...I'd be livered if someone did that to me!
One interesting thing is these days lots of emails still live on a server by your internet provider. Atleast with iinet even when we delete the emails from our own account through Outlook they're still on the server side. However, if you go directly into iinet and delete then they will be perm gone.

I do know sometimes places complain if you have too many emails and it's taking up a huge amount of space to delete stuff...BUT even then I wouldn't go deleting someone else's emails!!

message 50: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I agree with Marianne Jools! You're funny! Good luck with getting it sorted sooner rather than later!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 232 233
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.