SNA Y8.02 (2015-2016) discussion

Assignment > Term 3 Week 7 (25 Feb 2016): Summary + Book Recommendation

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 24 comments Mod
Please post your comment for this week's assignment below.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Frozen Pizza and Other Slices of Life by Antoinette Moses
I read the book called 'Frozen Pizza and other slices of life'

This book consists of eight different stories.
Overall, i rate this book 3/5
I recommend this book for people who like stories about life and friendships.

Summaries+ratings=

1st story: Rosie really wants to go see the gallery and thought it would be her secret and special place, her new world.
-I would rate this story 3/5

2nd story: Mr Walker thought it was not right to allow too many foreigners in England. But he realized he was wrong. England was a land that always welcomed foreigners.
-I would rate this story 3.5/5

3rd story: Luke Thomas was in a gang and he do anything for them but then he realized that his gang couldn't forced him to not do something he liked. So he quit the lads.

4th story: When a young man move to a new room in the house, he felt everything was strange as the family never talked to each other and they lived their life differently. When he moved out of the house, he soon found out that the place was actually unsuitable, except for independent teenagers,no conversation practice and no home meal.
-I would rate this story 2.5/5

5th story: Nikki Apton wrote a letter to 5 different people.
-I would rate this story 2/5

6th story: Mike was working for a journalist but when he discovered about a person's life named Carol, he resigned from his job and lived far away from England.

7th story: A girl named Melanie have been fired in her job. She blame Nicole Leconte and Louise Conte. Soon, she will take her revenge.

8th story: When Paolo climbed a hill called a Shivering Mountain and heard a voices, he almost fell. But before he died, Nick saved him and Paolo understand why Nick loved visiting strange but beautiful hills.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

the book i read is Pride and Prejudice.i really recommend this book, it's has a very interesting story. The chapter summary is:
Chapter 1:the Bennets has a new neighbour, that is Mr Bingley
Chapter 2: Jane, Elizabeth's sister got ill
Chapter 3: Mr Collins visits Longbourn
Chapter 4: Elizabeth meets mr Wickham
Chapter 5: Mr Collins Proposes to both Elizabeth and Charlotte, Elizabeth's best friend, but Elizabeth refused and Charlotte got married with mr collins
Chapter6: Elizabeth and her aunt and uncle visits Mr and Mrs Collins.
Chapter 7: Mr Darcy proposed to Elizabeth but she refused because of her prejudice towards him
Chapter 8: Elizabeth learns more about Mr Darcy and Mr Wickham, and her prejudice towards Mr Darcy goes down.
Chapter 9: Elizabeth goes to Derbyshire
Chapter 10: Lydia, Elizabeth's sister got married with mr Wickham in a bad way, also she got married to mr Wickham so that her reputation won't go down, She got married at 16 because of this.
Chapter 11: Mr Bingley returns to Netherfield
Chapter 12: Elizabeth realises that she loves mr Darcy and they eventually get married even though Lady Catherine, Mr Darcy's aunt doesn't allow this to happen.

message 4: by Ancilla.M (new)

Ancilla.M | 15 comments The book I read is Windows of the Mind and other stories. It is written by Frank Brennan.
Some of the stories are boring but some are quite good. They are good for simple essays but not that thrilling. 3/5 stars

A Fine Wine
This story is about a man who is a famous and respected wine taster, however one day something happen to him and made him lose his sense of smell. Because of this he also cannot properly taste the wine, since wine tasting requires both taste and smell. But he was a dishonest man so he pretended he still could taste it. One day in some reality show, an old grape gardener whom he tricked finally blew up his cover. The wine taster got what he deserved and people found out he was a fraud after all.

A Nose for a Story
There is a nosy reporter named Desiree. She uses her wit and prettiness to easily trap famous people and persuade them to tell her their private secrets. One day she visited the brother of a dead actress, but the brother doesn't really like her since she disrespects his privacy. So he was the one who tricked her into thinking all the actress' secrets are in a box hidden in some poop container. When Desiree managaed to get it(and became very smelly) she found out the box was actually only filled with cricket reports.

A Gentle Touch
This is about an ambitious man who wanted to be able to do everything. He wanted to be both smart, hard working but also physically strong. So he learned from Master Tong, an chinese man expert on miraculous healing and kungfu. However, Master Tong refuses to teach him all the lesson because Mr Tong knew it would only result in bad things. In the end the ambitious man learned that he should not be too ambitious and balance his life between being calm but also hard working.

message 5: by R. (new)

R. Eagan | 21 comments The book that I read was The Fly and Other Stories by John Escott. There are many different stories in this book, but I am going to just summarize the main story, The Fly.

There once lived a Frenchman called Monsieur Délambre. He had a phonecall one night from his sister-in-law, Hèlene, stating that she had killed André, his brother. André was a professor studying and researching the field around transmitting solid matter to other places. However, the experiments André was doing went terribly wrong when he tried the device to transmit on his own. The first time André did it, he suceeded in transporting himself to the other room, but the second try came out horrible. Whilst André was getting ready to transport himself, a housefly entered the device and both of them got transported to the other side. When they came out, André had the head and hand of a fly, while the fly had André's head and right arm. Because of his inability to transform back without the fly, André decided to let his wife kill him in order to destroy the creature that was André. And so, they went to Délambre's factory to smash André's head and arm with a steam press. After Hèlene confessed what happened to Délambre, she killed herself using drugs in the asylum. At the end of the story, Délambre is found in the cemetery, burying a box inside André's grave. Inside the box was a dead white fly. He buried it to let André become one again in the afterlife.

In my opinion, I would rate it a 7/10 because of the various stories I can choose from. However, I don't recommend this book to the faint of heart as the whole book covers issues such as suicide, drug overdose, depression, anxiety and murder. So if you aren't ready to handle this book, don't read it.

message 6: by Alin (new)

Alin Kinan (caratskk982) | 12 comments i read a book called "Solo Saxophone". The book is about a city that had been destroyed because of a war. The war broke out in Sarajevo and make the beautiful city become dark. A young war reporter went to city and tell what she saw and felt. People in the city turned music as a way to escape.

i would rate this book 5/7

message 7: by ReynaldiS (new)

ReynaldiS | 17 comments I read a book called The Fly and retold by John Escott. The story was interesting but a bit confusing. The story is The Fly chapter:
1 chapter: Andre knew how to send objects from one place to another.
2 chapter: The first thing he sent was a dog.
3 chapter: When André transmitted himself there was a fly in the disintegrator.
4 chapter: He had a man's head and a fly's body.
5 chapter: Hélène killed andré.

The story was this short because the book has a lot of story and Miss Shahidna told me to pick one.

message 8: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Untayana | 16 comments I read a book called Nelson's Dream. This story about Nelson's Mbizi from South Africa where he studied about Hotel Management in UK. Kurupenda the capital of Gomokure in South Africa. When he went back to Kurupenda he saw lots of people gets AIDS/HIV which is one of the dangerous decease in the world. HE saw her mom where she dying, lay down on the bed. Later on he couldn't save his mom then his mom passed away.

message 9: by Wienda (new)

Wienda Nurhanie | 17 comments I read a book called "A passage to India"
The book is about this woman from Europe who went to India to study more about their culture. However, she got involved with a doctor and a stupid soldier who tells lame jokes. I don't really like this book because it's a boring book. Not recommended

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Huang | 5 comments Nelson's Dream written by J.M. Newsome, is about Nelson Mbzisi who studied in Britain, and then he returns to Southern Africa, to work on his father's hotel. When he arrives to Southern Africa, he goes to a part of the city where he finds a family where children were alone because her mother dies of HIV. He decide to help this poor family and during this he meet Vicky, who was a television presenter. The children know they have to continue their lives and help other people, so Nelson began to work with the sector D community, and create a centre were young people can be treated for AIDS/HIV.
In my opinion, I liked that Nelson attitude, because he is trying to help many people who need help, he just tried to do his best. Also, I liked that this story is a real story, that we could act as Nelson did it, and be able to help people who really needed, without regardless if we are rich or people that have all kind of resources.
The moral lesson could be that we have to help others regardless of their social status or condition. Also, helping others makes many lifes be better and happier. And that helping others, you help yourself and you will feel pleased with yourself.
I rate this book 3 out of 5 .

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily Huang | 5 comments Sorry, this is supposed to be week three

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Huang | 5 comments Four mothers, four daughters, four families whose histories shift with the four winds depending on who's "saying" the stories. In 1949 four Chinese women, recent immigrants to San Francisco, begin meeting to eat dim sum, play mahjong, and talk. United in shared unspeakable loss and hope, they call themselves the Joy Luck Club. Rather than sink into tragedy, they choose to gather to raise their spirits and money. "To despair was to wish back for something already lost. Or to prolong what was already unbearable." Forty years later the stories and history continue.With wit and sensitivity, Amy Tan examines the sometimes painful, often tender, and always deep connection between mothers and daughters. As each woman reveals her secrets, trying to unravel the truth about her life, the strings become more tangled, more entwined. Mothers boast or despair over daughters, and daughters roll their eyes even as they feel the inextricable tightening of their matriarchal ties. Tan is an astute storyteller, enticing readers to immerse themselves into these lives of complexity and mystery.
I rate this book 3 and a half out of 5 stras

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Huang | 5 comments This is the one now