SNA Y7.01 (2015-2016) discussion

Assignment > Term 3 Week 7 (25 Feb 2016): Summary + Book Recommendation

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 18 comments Mod
HELLO THIS IS STAR AND I AM TAKEN HOSTAGE BY MS SHAHIDNA!

message 2: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 18 comments Mod
This is Ms Suyono. please call me that. thank you :)

message 3: by Christiana (new)

Christiana Clara | 18 comments Hi guys! This week I am reading "the Great Gatsby".

It tells about a rich man, Jay Gatsby who holds an extraodinary party every Saturday night. He wants to find the woman of his dreams, the woman he has held in his heart and his memory for five long years. This book is told by Nick Carraway which he soon learns that Gatsby is in love with Daisy Buchanan.

Nick manages to get Gatsby and Daisy together. The first meeting was awkward but Gatsby soon relaxes and invited Nick and Daisy back to his mansion. Daisy claims that he loved Gatsby and Tom Buchanan, her husband but she decided to come back to Gatsby, not her husband.

Daisy drives Gatsby's car but she accidentally killed
a woman called Mrytle, a Tom Buchanan's girlfriend but Mrytle also has a husband, a mechanic. Daisy thought that she was driving Tom's car but it was actually Gatsby's.

So Mrytle's husband accused Gatsby for killing his wife because Buchanan told him that it was Gatsby's car who crashed Mrytle.

The Mechanic goes to Gatsby's house to kill him and himself. Daisy refuses to confess her crime and only few people come to Gatsby's funeral like Gatsby's father.

I recommend this book 3/5 since it is a good book but I don't rlly this book since it's romantic.

message 4: by Joelynn (new)

Joelynn Tamrin | 28 comments Hi guys !
The book I got to do a summary and character analysis with is 'The Bullring Kid and the Country Cowboy'.

My favourite character is Fizza, because she is very polite and she is very passionate about her love in computer. She is an only child and loves to play judo with her dad. She is also a very loyal girl to her family, friends.

The summary is Fizza who is a city girl, who is very compasionate about computer,decided to spend an holiday in Sark.Sark is a place where it has not use modern conveniences, actually islanders and tourists used telephones or mobiles except the fuel public transport such as buses cars or motorbikes. They usually use horses for the journey. Fizza first thought thag throughout the journey, she would have a boring time but after meeting Mr. Mclntyre, who greeted them in Sark, whose son is a country boy gave Fizza a tour around his place.
One day Mclntyre's horse got stolen. Fletcher and Fizza embarked on a quest to find out who has stolen his horse. Later on, they found out that a group of anonymous nen were planning on selling these horses. Dud Fletcher and Fizza succeed ?
Read 'The Bullring Kid and The Country Cowboy' to find out !

message 5: by Joelynn (new)

Joelynn Tamrin | 28 comments I rate this book a 4.5/5

Bullring Kid and Country Cowboy by Louise Clover

message 6: by Star (new)

Star Jessalyn (stayawesomegotham) | 45 comments Mod
Ey guys! It's Star
So the book that I got was "Nothing but the Truth" by (insert author's name here)
If you're too lazy to read the book, please jump to the summary section of this review. If not, then just continue on.
If you do not want to be spoiled, skip "Summary".

SHORT TEASER:
Hu is a 17 year old girl who goes to school in Bangkok. Everything was going well for her until he came. That teacher. Ever since he came, her grades have significantly gone so much lower. Until, he decides to gives her "private" lessons in secrecy... However, there's a catch. Will Hu spin herself in a bigger web of lies or will she finally pluck up the courage to tell nothing but the truth?
(P.S. This was not taken from the back of the book)

SUMMARY:
Hu's a girl from China who moved to Bangkok because of her father's work. Now, she goes to an Academy in Bangkok where foreign students study at. There, she makes a lot of new friends and enjoys her school life of less housework. Until Mr Stanyer came along.
When he came, her grades became significantly lower and since she wants to become a doctor to make her dad proud, she has to be able to take the IB, which she wouldn't be able to take if her "grades" stay the same.
Because of this, Mr Stanyer offered Hu "private" lessons. However, she has to pay for it. On top of that, he doesn't teach her a single thing, all he does is smoking and reading his dirty magazines. Moreover, he invited Hu to his apartment to "get more comfortable" but thankfully, Hu still has sense in her head and refused.
After a build-up to a very much fast-paced ending (my heart was actually beating in nervousness for her), they finally found out that Mr Stanyer wasn't just a fraud, that he was also not qualified to students, and the fact that he does his "private" lessons with rich and pretty female students.

BOOK RECOMMENDATION:
I.....
I really liked this book. At first I wasn't expecting the book to go in the direction of pressuring an underage girl to perform inappropriate things to an older man at a higher position, example, student and teacher relationships. But oh boy, it did become clear as soon as the descriptions on Mr Stanyer appeared: So if this disgusts you, then I don't recommend this book. However, nowadays, doing sexual acts for teachers just to get higher grades is now common in American high schools/colleges/universities, a very taboo topic in this generation's society. I praise this book on how it handled carefully the topic of semi-sexual assault and how they can give us a visual of just how fricked up Mr Stanyer is through the descriptions about him, his "magazines", etc. In addition to that, the fact that they managed to do it without going graphic like other books while still getting the message across, surprises me a lot.

This book manages to send a powerful message to young girls out there that whenever someone tries to sexually assault you, even if it was just an attempt, they should go to an unbiased official immediately. Or someone who (has a relative that) has experienced it and got over it in the past. Like Verity's friend from the story! He's both! His daughter experienced the same thing Hu experienced and he is an unbiased official. The book also sends the message that whenever something like this happens, we should always be honest and get help, not keeping secrets about it. This is something that is very taboo to handle and is very prominent in this generation. The number of how many women get raped every day is astounding, unfortunately. This is why I applaud this book so much.

However, I would have given it 5 shining stars, if they manage to make the victim of the attempted sexual assault be a male. Most of the time, a female gets affected. But how about a male? Gender doesn't mean that they should be differently as the effect of sexual assault for both sides is just as scarring. Nowadays, not as many people care if a boy is at the receiving end. Some of them even dare to blame the victim if he was a boy. If the book had managed to cover the topic of sexual harassment this way, by writing the same way, I would still give it a 5/5 stars.

In conclusion, I think that everyone should read this as this can teach us a lot of things, like those mentioned above and the fact that just because you're a higher power, doesn't excuse you from harassing underaged people sexually. Teachers should also read this too. Therefore, I recommend this book to everyone. Even if they have or have not gone through the same thing, I'm sure you can find your voice in the story somewhere. I rate this book a 4/5 stars.

message 7: by User (new)

User | 19 comments Hii so this week i read The University Murders by Richard MacAndrew. It's about a man who said that he has murdered a person, but the Inspector, Inspector Logan, doesn't believe in what the man says. And there's this other guy named Billy who lied about many crimes before. Then, there was a dead body in the park, and another dead body soon after that happened. Inspector Logan suspected Billy as the murderer, but who knows.
I recommend this book to people who love reading books about mysteries, and i give this a 4/5 :)

message 8: by Cyrilla (new)

Cyrilla Arletta | 16 comments Hello guys ! I got the book 'This Rough Magic' by Mary Stewart. The book's plot is pretty interesting and probably better than some of the other books .I am now going to give you the summary of it first before the recommendation and review.

Summary
Lucy Waring, our main character, is an actress who play in plays or theatre plays. She decided that she wants to take a break and went to the beautiful Greek island of Corfu. The island was described as beautiful and dolphins swam around it. The first day that Lucy went there she saw a blue dolphin, unfortunately someone tried to shoot the dolphin. It was then she met the mysterious son of Julian Gale.

The book was peaceful and boring until the first death came. It is said that a boy name Spiro had died, no one would have believe it if it was not for a man name Godfrey. As he said, he was on a boat with Spiro when he suddenly saw Spiro clinging into the boat and finally fell. Everyone was chaotic when they found out about this.

The next death then came. It was a smuggler name Yanni who was dead this time. Lucy was the one that found him. Police officers then investigated about his death.

Some days later, Lucy found a dolphin stranded on the beach. With the help of Max Gale the previous mysterious young man.

The next main event happened. Lucy received proof of Godfrey murdereous actions, but the package was then taken by Godfrey. It then turns out that Spiro still alive and good with the exception of a broken leg. It is revealed that Godfrey tried to kill Spiro. Spiro said that he actually held on a string and succeeded in clinging to the boat again, but Godfrey hit his arm trying to get rid of him before a huge wave washed Spiro away.

In the next chapters Lucy went into Godfrey but was then caught. Lucy tried to make a story up but Godfrey did not believe it. Lucy was then pushed from the boat and thrown into the sea.

The book ended with Max proposing to Lucy and luckily Lucy said yes.

Reccomendation

This book is pretty interesting. It has some action, mystery and romance in it. The plot is better than some of the books. I would recommend it to people who would actually want to read the book. I would rate it 4 or 3.5 out of 5.

So that is my recommendation and summary. Hope that you understand it!

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Fredlina | 18 comments This week i read the book about The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers.

The story is about Carruthers, a minor official in the Foreign Office, is contacted by an acquaintance, Davies, asking him to join in a yachting holiday in the Baltic Sea with his small yacht named Dulcibella. Carruthers agrees, as his other plans for a holiday have fallen through. But the holiday turns into an adventure of a different kind. He and Davies soon find themselves sailing in the stormy waters of the North Sea, exploring the channels and sandbanks around the German Frisian Islands, and looking for a secret a secret that could mean great danger for England.

I don't really like this book but I recommend this book to people who likes book about thriller and adventure. I would rate this book 3/5.

message 10: by Sherlyn (new)

Sherlyn | 14 comments I am reading "The lady in white"

John was on his way to drop his daughter to her new school when he saw a lady at the other side of the road standing. John offered her a ride and the lady accepted and ride the car. During the ride, the lady suddenly cried.
All of the stories are only what John's assistant found, but it seems to be happening to John's realistic life.
I recommend this book at a rate of 4/5

message 11: by Sherlyn (new)

John was on his way to drop his daughter to her new school when he saw a lady at the other side of the road standing. John offered her a ride and the lady accepted and ride the car. During the ride, the lady suddenly cried.
All of the stories are only what John's assistant found, but it seems to be happening to John's realistic life.

message 12: by Sherlyn (new)

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Tanutama | 14 comments I want to recommend a book called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Roald Dhal. The book is about Charlie, a poor child getting a golden ticket to the chocolate factory. Only a few people got the ticket, the owner of the factory, Mr. Willy Wonka's factory was magical. Almost everything in his factory was edible from the fountain, to the plants. Each of the children were very greedy, they all got injured by the machines since they did not follow the rules. Only Charlie was left because he obeyed the rules. In the end, Willy Wonka gave the factory to Charlie because he thought Charlie was the only boy that can run the factory. Willy Wonka was old he thought so that was why he invited these children, to test out who will last in the factory. I really did enjoyed this book, 10/10.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Tanutama | 14 comments I want to recommend a book called "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Roald Dhal. The book is about Charlie, a poor child getting a golden ticket to the chocolate factory. Only a few people got the ticket, the owner of the factory, Mr. Willy Wonka's factory was magical. Almost everything in his factory was edible from the fountain, to the plants. Each of the children were very greedy, they all got injured by the machines since they did not follow the rules. Only Charlie was left because he obeyed the rules. In the end, Willy Wonka gave the factory to Charlie because he thought Charlie was the only boy that can run the factory. Willy Wonka was old he thought so that was why he invited these children, to test out who will last in the factory. I really did enjoyed this book, 10/10.

message 15: by Chu (new)

Chu Wei | 17 comments I read this book "Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone, i recommend this book just because it contains magical things like wands and etc. Harry is a celebrity in his magical world, watch how Harry fight darkness of You-Know-Who.

Harry is a kind person and has a great sense of justice, he likes to play fairly and not with dirty tricks.