Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Godfather

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reader1223 (last edited Feb 24, 2016 08:18PM) (new)

Reader1223 | 2 comments Hi, so I am currently reading the GodFather by Mario Puzo. Now I couldn't help but notice that women in this book tend to be shown as "sex toys" and are also beaten. Now, this quite shocked me, since my parents are forward thinking and my dad is very supportive of my mother, though she is a housewife by choice. (I'm 17 in case it wasn't clear). Now the question I am proposing is whether or not, in your opinion, books like this increase sexual discrimination and violence against women. I personally feel it depends on a case-to-case basis, because for some with will shock and prevent abuse, while others will find it to be acceptable, and perhaps even find themselves emboldened by the themes in this book.
Love to hear your thoughts, and apologise in advance if I have broken any rules.
Reader1223
PS: Ms. Watson (can I call you Emma?), I am a huge, huge, fan (though I'm sure you've heard this a million and one times). If you ever have a minute and can send me a message, that would be superly awesome. I know this is off topic, but I had to tell you this.

message 2: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Savannah (dssharris) | 321 comments Mod
Moved to Miscellaneous.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamariaa) | 7 comments I think the Godfather is stupid. I have never read the book but seen the first film. Sure it's kind of exciting in some of the scenes but... I feel like the women in the movie at least are present like they are stupid and don't "deserve" to know that's going on. Sure it can be a good book/movie but in a feminist perspektiv it's really bad. But like a said I have only seen the movie and that was like 7 months ago.

message 4: by Reader1223 (new)

Reader1223 | 2 comments Anna wrote: "I think the Godfather is stupid. I have never read the book but seen the first film. Sure it's kind of exciting in some of the scenes but... I feel like the women in the movie at least are present ..."

Well, I'm not sure I'd say it's stupid. The writing is brilliant tbh. There is, a lot of gender bias and discrimination, but the plotline etc is very well done.
It is also possible, given that it is set around the 1950s or so, that the book is representing the truth about the society of the time?

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamariaa) | 7 comments I never thought about that. Maybe? I'm sure it's a wonderful reading experience for some people, I didn't mean to hate on the people that like the book or the movie :). But I can't help but feel that it is a movie that affect boys (and girls) in to a violent mindset. Still, if you reading it whit a open mindset (that you seems to have) it's is probably a great experience.

message 6: by Evelia (new)

Evelia | 89 comments I read The Godfather when I was in high school and I liked it. To me it was a book about how men and women were stuck in this world that they could not get away from.

message 7: by Agustin (new)

Agustin | 223 comments I haven't seen the film adaptation yet, and the book is one of my to-reads for this year. In any case, I don't thin it condones misogyny, as the story is set in the 1940s and 1950s (a very sexist time), and as it portrays the mafia of that era, it kind of explains how patriarcal and male-chauvanistic mobsters were.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The effect of reading any book depends on the readers. You can read Mein Kampf (Hitler) and say: oh this is awesome! He's right! (yes, there are lots of people around the world who agree with him, even today), or you can feel disgusted.

Same applies for the Godfather. The author explains a story and puts it in a realistic context. Whether you like that or not is up to you, or broadly speaking, up to your cultural basis.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.