The Screwtape Letters The Screwtape Letters question

The Screwtape Letters
Melissa Melissa Feb 24, 2016 05:44PM
Just finished reading this book. Very interesting, a real eye opener for me. What did you think?

It has been a while since I read it, but I felt it dealt with the theology of the demonic -or demonology?- in a way that was both consistent to Christian tradition and entertaining at the same time. It was a tricky thing to write about a malicious character in a way that was strangely sympathetic, and I think humour played a big part in getting the balance right.

deleted member May 29, 2016 07:05PM   0 votes
I always love a well-made villain, so having a book told from the villain's perspective is always interesting to me. The Screwtape Letters does a fantastic job at balancing themes of hope with themes of hopelessness, and it's great to see the almost tongue-in-cheek way C.S. Lewis handles the narrative. Definitely one of my favorites by him.

I loved the way that Lewis "outed" the strategy of demons that mess with Christians who pray for others by getting them to focus on those things that irritate them about those people to the extent that they can no longer pray for them because they annoy them so much. Brilliant!