Sea of Poppies (Ibis Trilogy, #1) Sea of Poppies discussion

What does Crowley propose to Zachary when he finds out he is "black"?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jaya Jha I could not make any sense of the conversation they had in the cabin just before Crowley was killed. Can anyone enlighten?

Regards
Jaya

Outis Quadroon, mulatto and so forth were racist classifications primarily used in North-America.

It was the captain's last voyage and Crowle seemed to have expected a command for himself after his retirement. He evidently enjoyed domination and blackmailed Zachary. He offered a good job on board as well as his silence in exchange for obedience and sex.
The book is a bit coy when it comes to sex. I guess that fits the period.

Jaya Jha Thanks Outis. It makes sense. I suspected that. But like you said the references are so subtle that it becomes difficult for a modern reader sometimes. Combined with the realistic language, it had completely baffled me.

Eswar Do you thick that Crowle loved Zachary,you know,how he couldn't bring himself kill him?

TheReadingTortie I'm pretty late to the discussion. I just finished the book and I have to say the part that is eating away at me right now is the fact that I suspect Mr. Crowley was hopelessly in love with Zachary and angry and frustrated about it. It seemed like he hated himself for it and right now, I find that their story is stealing the show for me. I want there to be an alternate ending; one where Crowley gets to confess his love to Zachary before he dies. I need that closure and it hurts me to know Crowley doesn't get it. When he gets so close to it.

I can literally go on and on about this because of how much this has taken my breath away. I loved it. I loved their dynamic and it's one of the most tragic and probably overlooked parts of the story.

I was holding my breath as I listened to this part and I wanted to cry and gasp. I wish I could have reached into the book and kept the door shut just a little longer so Crowley could finally tell Zachary about his eyes.

I can't get over this part. I can't get over this book. I can't wait to start the next one tomorrow. It is truly a unique and breathtaking experience. I can't wait to reread it and review it!!

If someone else's heart broke when Crowley died without being able to tell Zachary about his feelings I feel your pain!

Steven McKay My two cents six months later: I interpreted Crowley's advances towards Zachary as blackmail for sexual favors, much as one might imagine in a prison. Crowley may have had feelings for Zachary, but at that point he was an emotionally broken person.

I felt sorry for Crowley, but only so much.

TheReadingTortie Steven wrote: "My two cents six months later: I interpreted Crowley's advances towards Zachary as blackmail for sexual favors, much as one might imagine in a prison. Crowley may have had feelings for Zachary, but..."

True :) Haha! It just sucks that he couldn't at least tell him his feelings before he died. Not that Zachary would have cared, haha.