Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > What is the Goodreads goal?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leroy (new)

Leroy Erickson (erickslv) I have several books that match an existing edition in some respects, but not all. For example, many of my books are book club editions from Science Fiction Book Club or the old Doubleday Bargain Book Club. My copy might match an existing edition on Goodreads as far as author, title, cover picture and maybe page count, but doesn't have the ISBN for the edition on Goodreads and sometimes might have a different page count. For my own use, I'm content to use the existing edition since the cover picture matches. However, does Goodreads have a goal of having all editions included in their data base such that they would prefer that I create a new edition instead?

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl No, it's really up to you whether to add anything to the database or not. If you are happy having a nearly identical book on your shelf as opposed to one precisely identical, that is a-okay.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
Leroy wrote: "However, does Goodreads have a goal of having all editions included in their data base"

Yes, that is our goal. However, it's up to you whether you would prefer to add a new edition or not. If you're happy with the edition you have shelved, and would rather read a few pages of a book rather than add a new edition, that's good too.

The nature of the goal is such that we will never get there -- not unless every publishing house stops for a few years so we can catch up. And probably not even then.

message 4: by Leroy (new)

Leroy Erickson (erickslv) Thank you both for your quick responses. I'll continue on as I have been doing then, having "almost perfect" bookshelves.