Never Too Old For Y.A. & N.A. Books discussion

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia  | 13086 comments Mod
Okay, for those who are keen to read The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas along with Maddison and Meredith, then this is the place to discuss the book.

message 2: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments We're starting 1st or 2nd of March.

message 3: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda March 1st! I can do that too!

message 4: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments Awesome! I may be a few days late, but I'll see what I can do.

message 5: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 1269 comments Enjoy! These novellas are really cool :)

message 6: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments I'm probably picking this up on Wednesday. I'll try and start it then as well.

message 7: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments I'll probably be starting this in a week.

message 8: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments You started yet?

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments I don't know when I'll start.

message 10: by MadameZelda (last edited Mar 12, 2016 05:05PM) (new)

MadameZelda I finished reading the first two novellas which are the shortest. I am not a fan of any kind of novellas -- just a comment.

message 11: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments Oh how come? I love them!

And do you have any thoughts on them?

message 12: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments And you've read quite a bit. I haven't even started, and got no idea when I will. I'm planning on this month though, I hope.

message 13: by MadameZelda (new)

MadameZelda I haven't read book 1, but I did read the synopsis. So just by reading the two novellas, I can tell where Assassin's Blade is heading.

These two novellas are kind of open-ended which suggests to me that some of these characters will return.

Why I am not keen on novellas? I enjoy world building which is impossible with q short. Then there is hardly any character development.

If anything, I got the feeling and emotion of Caelaena's anger, arrogance, compassion and her hard upbringing. The various names of places just meant nothing to me and so I just had to let them go from my mind or I'd be frustrated.

I'll comment more after I read the bulk of Assassin's Blade.

message 14: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments Alright thanks. I'll post my thoughts chapterly as I go. Hopefully it won't be fruitless.

message 15: by MadameZelda (last edited Mar 12, 2016 07:49PM) (new)

MadameZelda Maddison, I'm sure you'll enjoy the shorts. I'd actually like to dive into Book 1!

I skip novellas and to right to the books in all series I've read.

message 16: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 17 comments I made it through the first 2 stories, I think, before the checkout period on my ebook ended! I had read the first couple of chapters of TOG before starting The Assassins Blade and I liked what I read of TOG much better. I agree with MadameZelda that the world building and character development is lacking in novellas - I think they would be much more satisfying once you've read the novel and know more about Caelaena and her world.

message 17: by Sylvia (last edited Mar 12, 2016 10:01PM) (new)

I feel the opposite to you ladies. I actually found that the novella's for me did in fact allow for world building and character development. I was actually enthralled and found them to actually open up the door to the main story, and I usually prefer to read the novella's after a series too but for some reason, a friend of mine suggested reading this first before starting the series, and I'm glad I did. I guess we all have different tastes and preferences :)

message 18: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments I normally read novellas as they occur in the series, or if they're prequels then I read the first book before the novella so I have an idea of the land and the characters before I start reading, so hopefully doing it this way won't have a negative effect on such an apparently good series.

message 19: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 17 comments Maddison, I saw your comment on another thread that you are going to put aside Assassin's Blade for a bit and focus on Throne of Glass. Let me know when you want to pick it up. I finally found time to finish AB and I think the 3rd one (the Assassin and the Desert) is so good! I think reading all 5 was really like a whole novel, without the filler to connect the stories. So, I kind of take back my earlier comment, about the stories lacking in world building and character development. There's enough meat in all 5 stories to definitely flesh out the characters and create a believable environment.

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 75 comments Yeah I don't know when I'll get around to reading this.

message 21: by juli❀ (new)

juli❀ (juleeeh) | 5 comments I bought this a couple of days ago and can't wait to start reading!

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 7239 comments Mod
Juli wrote: "I bought this a couple of days ago and can't wait to start reading!"

I need to finish this series.

message 23: by Sylvia (new)

Juli wrote: "I bought this a couple of days ago and can't wait to start reading!"

Hope you enjoy it ☺️