The Sword and Laser discussion

Audio dramas

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments Any good fantasy/science fiction audio dramas available as podcasts? I love radio plays--just came off of listening to BBC's Neverwhere--and some pretty epic long-form dramas are probably floating out there just waiting for our attention.

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I haven't found any sci-fi/fantasy ones (would love to learn of some!) but I have been listening to Welcome to Night Vale and We're Alive, both more horror/drama-esque. Night Vale is a funnyish take on small town radio inspired by the Cthulhu mythos, while We're Alive is a very long-running zombie survival drama.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Nash | 200 comments I first fell in love with audio dramas in the 80s. We were living in the Chicago area at the time, and one of the local AM stations had an old time radio show every Sunday night. The horror shows were the best. There are new shows out there, a lot of them good, but nothing quite does it for me like those old time radio shows. Luckily, I can still find most of them over at archive.org.

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3542 comments Mod
Scott Sigler (who has been interviewed on Sword and Laser) releases a lot of his work as free podcasts before he puts them out as audiobooks and paper versions.

If you do a search of his name on iTunes you will find a few of them still available for free.

I recommend Earthcore

message 5: by Magda Żmijan (new)

Magda Żmijan | 76 comments if you can get your hands on Charles Chilton's Journey into space series it's quite good. BBC's almost done with last season, but you can always try to check the archives

also all of Bradbury 13's stories are great

If you like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy it's also still on

message 6: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments The Lord of the Rings has been done as an audio drama by the BBC. NPR did radio dramas of all three Star Wars movies, these have extended scenes that were cut from the films. Terry Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards! and Mort have been done as radio plays.

The terry Pratchett can be found on Groveshark here:
http://grooveshark.com/#!/profile/Ter...

message 7: by Magda Żmijan (new)

Magda Żmijan | 76 comments oh right Pratchett, these were good

also some great ones: Tworchwood, Neverwhere and most of the Doctor Who dramas :D

message 8: by David (new)

David (dbigwood) Not great, but lots of fun are the Fantastic Four radio dramas from the early 70s. A young Bill Murry plays the Human Torch. They are freely available at the Internet Archives.

The BBC did a very good series of the Philip Marlow stories.

+1 for Star Wars by NPR, Lord of the Rings by the BBC, Torchwood and Doctor Who. The BBC Hobbit is also good.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments David wrote: "Not great, but lots of fun are the Fantastic Four radio dramas from the early 70s. A young Bill Murry plays the Human Torch. They are freely available at the Internet Archives.

The BBC did a very ..."

I love the Fantastic Four radio dramas - so cheesy but so entertaining.

Lord of the Rings by BBC was amazing as well.

I would also point people to the Doctor Who podcasts (there are too many to list)

message 10: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1554 comments I always thought it was fun that Ian Holm played Frodo in the BBC audio drama, and Bilbo in the Jackson Movies. He did an excellent job at both roles.

message 12: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 264 comments Acker & Blacker's "The Thrilling Adventure Hour" is a current monthly live, staged podcast in the old live radio style. Some of their serials are pulp sci-fi.

http://thrillingadventurehour.com/

I found out about it through a Castle dvd special feature where Nathan and Molly were guests on an episode.

message 13: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 264 comments Acker & Blacker's "The Thrilling Adventure Hour" is a current monthly live, staged podcast in the old live radio style. Some of their serials are pulp sci-fi.

http://thrillingadventurehour.com/

I found out about it through a Castle dvd special feature where Nathan and Molly were guests on an episode.