Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1)
This topic is about Crocodile on the Sandbank
Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ed Lehman | 1779 comments I read Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters for week #43. Although this book seems to be very popular with other readers...it was too farfetched for me...even if all tongue in cheek.

Beth | 128 comments I read this for week 16 (book from the top 100 mystery novels).

Meh. I rated this one a 3 star, but it is probably closer to a 2.5 for me. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped. There were no real surprises in this one. I figured out who would be the villain and why as soon as they were introduced. And aside from a few minor points, I knew what would happen long before it did.

message 3: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Love this series! It's even better when you consider the author was an Egyptologist.

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1348 comments I read this on fro week 25- main character is in a profession that interests you.

It was a low rating for me also. It just felt trite in places. I know that the people of the time period were racist but I just did not want to read the characters 'insights' about the natives.

Emily (emilyesears) | 412 comments I like the Amelia/Emerson relationship, but I agree that the weird racist tones put me off. And the mystery was definitely weak--it was a completely irrational motive. I would probably only read another if I was bored and it was the only thing around.