Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Heart of a Dog
This topic is about Heart of a Dog
Heart of a Dog, by Mikhail Bulgakov

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ed Lehman | 1779 comments I read Heart of a Dog by Michael Bulgakov for week #8.
The novel is a fable about the Russian Revolution...but I have to say that most of the references went over my head. The basic story is about a doctor who alters a dog... and the dog eventually takes on human characteristics...causing all kinds of trouble for the doctor and society.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Heart of a Dog
Heart of a Dog by Mikhail Bulgakov

GR synopsis:
A world-famous Moscow professor -- rich, successful, and violently envied by his neighbors -- befriends a stray dog and resolves to achieve a daring scientific first by transplanting into it the testicles and pituitary gland of a dead man. But the results are wholly unexpected: a distinctly and worryingly human animal is on the loose, and the professor's hitherto respectable life becomes a nightmare beyond endurance.

I am starting to read this for my 2016 Topic Discard Challenge, a book by a Russian author.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I finished this last week and loved it. It was weird and creppy, and very well written. It's like The Island of Dr. Moreau, but set inside an apartment in Russia, instead of an island.

A-MAZE-ZING!

4/5