Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - March 2016 - Jacqueline Winspear

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (gravy) The Featured Author of the Month for March 2016 is Jacqueline Winspear!
Here is a link to her website: http://www.jacquelinewinspear.com/

Jacqueline Winspear was born and raised in the county of Kent, England. Following higher education at the University of London's Institute of Education, Jacqueline worked in both general and academic publishing, in higher education and in marketing communications in the UK. She emigrated to the United States in 1990, and while working in business and as a personal / professional coach, Jacqueline embarked upon a life-long dream to be a writer.

Maisie Dobbs Mysteries
Maisie Dobbs
Birds of a Feather
Pardonable Lies
Messenger of Truth
An Incomplete Revenge
Among the Mad
The Mapping of Love and Death
Elegy for Eddie
Leaving Everything Most Loved
A Dangerous Place
Journey to Munich - March 29, 2016

Happy Reading!!!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7219 comments It looks like I'm on Messenger of Truth, so I'll be reading that. I really like Maisie Dobbs, she's an interesting character and I like learning more about her past in each book.

message 3: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3831 comments Mod
I think I'll try this series as I've never read one of her books.

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell | 1157 comments I read the first one in this series a while ago. The series is set after WWI and the challenges of veterans gives the book a more serious tone. I liked it and the MC who starts her own detective agency. I'll be picking this one up next month with Birds of a Feather.

message 5: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 17675 comments Mod
Oh, yay -- I actually have a book by this author. ☺

message 6: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments I'm also on Messenger of Truth and just requested it from the library.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Another new author for me. :) Thankfully, my library carries her books, so I'll start with Maisie Dobbs.

message 8: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 56870 comments Everyone might be interested in a Goodreads interview with our author. See information in this link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 9: by Britney (new)

Britney (tarheels) | 142 comments I have the first in the series. I hear good things about it.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_shack) I checked out Maisie Dobbs tonight. The historical background sounds interesting. Bits of the description remind me of Downton Abbey and Anne Perry.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I really like the Maisie Dobbs series. I'm reading (well, listening to) Birds of a Feather. If you like this time period, may I also suggest the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd, the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn, and Lady Georgie by Rhys Bowen.

message 12: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 1887 comments Finally finished Messenger of Truth - this one took me longer than usual because it took longer to get me involved in the story, so it didn't get my usual 4* for Maisie Dobbs. It picked up toward the end, and with all the introspection about endings and beginnings, I will continue the series, but not just yet.

message 13: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Finished Maisie Dobbs over the weekend. Enjoyed it, but some sections were so heart-wrenching, it should come with a tissue warning.

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Heather L wrote: "Finished Maisie Dobbs over the weekend. Enjoyed it, but some sections were so heart-wrenching, it should come with a tissue warning."

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!

message 15: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Kirsten: Definitely not the only one! I'm glad I wasn't reading it on lunch break or on the bus, but was able to read those parts at home.

message 16: by SherryRose (last edited Mar 28, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

SherryRose | 160 comments I'm about a third of the way into
Maisie Dobbs. It's good so far.

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Heather L wrote: "Finished Maisie Dobbs over the weekend. Enjoyed it, but some sections were so heart-wrenching, it should come with a tissue warning."

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!"

Nope, definitely not the only one. I really enjoyed it, too. I've started the next one, Birds of a Feather. I like how she uses her intuition to help her solve the mystery. :)

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Janet Rudolph of Mystery Fanfare just had an interview with Jacqueline Winspear on her blog:

http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com...

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments Thanks Kirsten! :)

message 20: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 160 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Janet Rudolph of Mystery Fanfare just had an interview with Jacqueline Winspear on her blog:

http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com..."

Thank you Kirsten!

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 130 comments I love Jacqueline Winspear! I've read the first 7 so far and am savoring the last couple.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 7219 comments Just finished Messenger of Truth and enjoyed it. I love learning more about Maisie in each book.

message 23: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 160 comments I love the way J. winspear writes. I'm a little past half way through book 1 and I love it. She brings you right into that time. She's so good. Some moments in this book move you to tears.

message 24: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 160 comments Rita Barrington narrates Maisie Dobbs. She's one of the best I've heard.