Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1)
This topic is about Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Lehman | 1779 comments I read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan for week #7. Not exactly the genre I prefer.... but I didn't hate it. A bit of a letdown though..I expected any book with "bookstore" in the title would offer more discussion of classic books...instead the reader gets a mix of centuries-old mysteries being solved by modern technology. Sort of a technological dungeons and dragons.

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I was also surprised by the mix between old mysteries and technology, but I liked it, as it was different.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan

GR synopsis:
The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon away from life as a San Francisco web-design drone and into the aisles of Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. But after a few days on the job, Clay discovers that the store is more curious than either its name or its gnomic owner might suggest. The bookstore’s secrets extend far beyond its walls.

I am reading this for a secondary challenge, a best of October 2012 book. I am listening to the audio while I am at work. So far (30 minutes in) I am enjoying it. Mysterious and enchanting. I'm sure this is something I would normally pick, but I don't think I'll regret this :)

message 4: by Manda (last edited Mar 23, 2016 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I was very underwhelmed by this. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. The mystery of the bookstore wasn't that exciting and I found it increasingly annoying that this millennial that knew basic coding wasn't current with modern technological advances (ie: Google Advances), especially with having several friends and roommates in the tech industry. I thought it was interesting how Sloan tried to weave a traditional mystery with modern technology, I just felt he did it in a very sloppy way.

2/5