Homer Public Library 15 in '16 discussion

February Favorites

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments Hi everyone! What are you reading this month? Any recommendations?

My most recent favorite is the young adult, nonfiction book, Most Dangerous by Steve Sheinkin. Dana Stabenow's review of the book inspired me to check it out, and I am in total agreement with her. It's excellent. I learned a bunch about the goings on during the Vietnam War era and it's the kind of learning that makes me want to dig a little deeper with modern day politics and current events.

I'm listening to Between the World and Me, which is read by the author Ta-Nehisi Coates. It's also excellent, in my opinion, and it's challenging me to expand my thinking as well.

Early in the month I listened to Harriet Wolf's Seventh Book of Wonders by Juliana Baggot. I enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away. I love listening to books, but I wonder if I might have liked this one better in print.

I also started a couple of books from the list that I probably won't finish... but I'm not gonna name them here. :)

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Egbert | 11 comments From the book list I read Beyond the Bear and loved it. Also just finished another book not on the list that takes place in Alaska. It is The Quality of Silence, by Rosamund Lupton. It was good but somewhat unbelievable.

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (supergirlheidi) | 2 comments Hello everyone! I'm new to Homer and the group. I just started the 15 in '16 so I'm a month behind. Hopefully I'll catch up. I'm not the fastest reader. The book I chose for my first book is from the Election Year category, Good Poems for Hard Times. I'd rather not read books in the political genre, but I do love poetry. I've read about 24 pages into the book so far and there have been a few poems that have moved me. For my second book, I was considering Beyond The Bear because of its reviews. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts only because bears scare me already :) Anyway, I'm glad to be in the group and part of this activity. Have a great day!

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Egbert | 11 comments Maybe I should mention, I am not from Homer, not even from Alaska. I live in Idaho, saw a posting on Dana Stabenow's Facebook page and just thought the whole idea was so great I joined. I love libraries and love reading so I sure hope it is ok that I am part of the group.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments Heidi wrote: "Hello everyone! I'm new to Homer and the group. I just started the 15 in '16 so I'm a month behind. Hopefully I'll catch up. I'm not the fastest reader. The book I chose for my first book is from t..."

Hi Heidi! Welcome to Homer and to the group. The good thing about the list is there are 150 books to choose from, so if you decide against Beyond the Bear, I'm sure something else will catch your eye. :)

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments Anne wrote: "Maybe I should mention, I am not from Homer, not even from Alaska. I live in Idaho, saw a posting on Dana Stabenow's Facebook page and just thought the whole idea was so great I joined. I love libr..."

Anne, It's great that you're participating from Idaho. And yay for Dana helping spread the word!

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 7 comments I'm from Way Off, South Carolina. I'm a die hard Dana fan so I ended up stumbling over the 15 in 16. I have convinced my local book club to read books from their list. I've read The Fifth Season and I am now on Winter, which I am substituting for Cinder, since I have already read all of the other books in that series. They are very engaging. Very happy to be here!

message 8: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (supergirlheidi) | 2 comments Teresa wrote: "Heidi wrote: "Hello everyone! I'm new to Homer and the group. I just started the 15 in '16 so I'm a month behind. Hopefully I'll catch up. I'm not the fastest reader. The book I chose for my first ..."

Thank you for the welcome! There are so many great books on the list. :)

message 9: by MAUREEN (new)

MAUREEN (Devildocmom) | 13 comments You must read Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival. I had heard about this book previously and checked it out, but did not start it. I was pleased to see it on the list and enjoyed it so much I bought the book. I had heard of John Jacob Astor of course...just as you hear of John D. Rockefeller, Andrew Carnegie, and Cornelius Vanderbilt. What I did not realize was how he tried to open the Pacific coast of what is now the USA along with Thomas Jefferson who also wanted expansion...each of them for different reasons. At one point in his life because of his land purchases in Manhatten he was the United States' first multi-millionaire and the richest man in the United States by the time of his death in 1848. Much of this was from the fur trade developed by this poor German immigrant and later the aforementioned land purchases...much of Manhatten at that time was still forested.

This is not simply a book about Astor's life tho', it is the people hired to open the west to fur trading and the grand "emporium" on the West Coast and collect furs from a network of Indian trappers. These furs would be traded to China on Russian ships... tea and silk would be brought to New York...this was to be traded for blankets, knives, and beads to the Indians...it was truly among the greatest international trading schemes the world had ever seen. Astor felt he had planned for all contingencies, but problems began on the ship just as it left NY harbor in 1810 because of diversity of the people and the rigidity of the captain. The bark Tonquin, under the command of martinet Jonathan Thorn, sailed from New York and around Cape Horn, eventually arriving near the mouth of the Columbia River, in present-day Oregon, where the Astor company established a settlement. This trip was to suffer peril and privation as did the overland party under Wilson Price Hunt, a 27-year-old New Jersey businessman with no wilderness experience, struck out across the continent, establishing the trading posts that would funnel pelts to the new emporium. Of the roughly 140 members sent by land and sea, more than 60 would perish before expedition's end.

I could go on and on I loved Astoria so much, but please pick it up and read it for yourself. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed reading it.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'm from Way Off, South Carolina. I'm a die hard Dana fan so I ended up stumbling over the 15 in 16. I have convinced my local book club to read books from their list. I've read The Fifth Season an..."

Hi Kimberly from South Carolina! It's great to have you reading along with us. And more points for Dana Stabenow!

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 30 comments MAUREEN wrote: "You must read Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival. I had heard about this book previously and checked it out, but did not..."

Sounds like a great book. I definitely want to add it to my list now.

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 7 comments I just finished Winter, which I substituted for Cinder, as I had read the rest of the series. It is a great series to read for fun. Space , plus classic tales of evil step mothers and android romance.

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne Egbert | 11 comments I have been somewhat remiss on reading books from the list, had 2 new mysteries, one by C. J. Box, Off the Grid, and one by Jeffery Deaver, Steel Kiss that I could not wait to read. But I have shared Beyond the Bear with my husband, and copied your list and sent it to a friend in N Idaho. I have 3 books checked out and ready to read, Winterdance, Seraphina, and If You Lived Here, I Would Know Your Name. Looking forward to them. If you are interested both the Box and Deaver series are really good, if you don't know them. Box takes place in Wyoming, a game warden is the main character, and Deaver takes place in New York with a parapalegic crime scene investigator who is an authority in his field. Both fun.