The Sword and Laser discussion

A Dance of Cloaks (Shadowdance, #1)
This topic is about A Dance of Cloaks
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #173 - JJ, Destroyer of Canons

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1657 comments Mod
We're very excited to have Bryan Benson on the show today, who backed our Kickstarter for season 2 of video, and got to pick this month's book. He's a game designer, author and all around great guy. Plus, he helped us to realize that JJ Abrams has become the destroyer of canonicity in SciFi.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2014/4/...

message 2: by Jeff (new) - added it

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments Anyone having issues grabbing this off the RSS feed? Getting errors as I try to download it from Downcast

message 3: by Matheus (new)

Matheus (Matheuslr8) | 36 comments Yeah, me too.

message 4: by Christopher (new) - added it

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Yeah tried last night and again this morning with no luck.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) | 253 comments I always get such a kick out of it when you guys use one of my questions or comments. Great episode, I think the new quick burns segment works well.

terpkristin | 4102 comments Yeah I downloaded it apparently but then I go to play and it says it's not available.

message 7: by Ben (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:12AM) (new)

Ben (bennewton_1) | 253 comments If you're at home you can watch the video version on youtube. It's 51 mins so probably not super practical if you're on the move.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) Enjoyed it - good to hear from Bryan too, he seems a top guy. Everything in the episode seemed to go well.

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Yeah, I had to listen to it off the club website.

Rob Secundus (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments Same here. Temporarily unavailable

message 11: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sorry guys. One little "/" at the end of the MP3 link and all was lost. Should be downloadable now!

message 12: by Kris (last edited Apr 30, 2014 09:50AM) (new)

Kris (kvolk) I like the tweaks to the show. More of a book club show instead of a show that's a book club. Oh and I like the award idea but would call it a Swaser or Lords or some other cobbled together word that is sword and laser.

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6000 comments Here's the video. You can pretend it's live and make comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5BV...

message 14: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6000 comments The Lemmy should look like this. Do it!

Mohrravvian | 99 comments I still can't get it to work. I'm using pocketcast.

message 16: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mohrravvian wrote: "I still can't get it to work. I'm using pocketcast."

It's downloading for me in iTunes. Try re-subscribing to the show.

terpkristin | 4102 comments I thought it was a great show, I liked the feedback you took from us in the other thread and how it got incorporated. I didn't think I particularly "disliked" the calendar section, but I found that when it was gone, I didn't miss it and that it may have previously broken up shows a bit.

Thanks again, Bryan, for backing the KS and being a part of the show! It was cool to have you on and to have you answer my questions. :)

Mohrravvian | 99 comments nope, still nothing! :-(

message 19: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I was thinking more like this for Lemmy:

Lem

Also, I've been reading the Anthology on the train, and I'm really really enjoying it. Good job there.

message 20: by David Sven (last edited Apr 30, 2014 08:03PM) (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Deleting the faulty podcast from my iphone and then "add old episodes" to be able to reselect worked for me.

Shaline Lopez | 42 comments Thanks to Bryan for supporting the show! I really enjoyed Dance of Cloaks, even though it's a book I probably would never have picked up on my own.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2432 comments Tamahome wrote: "The Lemmy should look like this. Do it!

"

Wow.. way cool. I want one !

Derek (raistlinsghost) | 81 comments Very cool of you guys to include Bryan in the discussion, even though I hated the book.

It was nice to see the changes introduced in show format that have been being discussed in another thread:

I actually preferred the longer theme but still think that the short one is cool.

I love that the calendar has been replaced with picks, and would love to hear you guys shoutout to Skin Game in an upcoming show as its coming out on May 27th. We Dresden fans are very excited about this!

Finally, I wanted to note that Veronica either accidentally or by design went with my suggestion and swore on the show, so my work here is done! ;)

Joanna Chaplin | 1175 comments I like the overhauled calendar. It's neat that Bryan Benson worked on Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'm still playing that. After I finish the trooper storyline I will have seen all eight class storylines (played 6 myself, watched my husband play 2 as we duo'd).

message 25: by Buzz (last edited May 01, 2014 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Buzz Park (buzzpark) | 306 comments I also enjoyed the updated format.

Hey, I didn't notice the sword sound when they did the bare your sword section. Was that intentional? Or is that something unique to watching the podcast video instead of the audio?

I am grateful to Bryan for backing Season 2 at such a high level. I had to laugh because it's really hard to hammer this month's pick when the person who picked it is on the show with you. I too would likely have gone easy on the hate-speech about the book if I had been in Tom or Veronica's shoes, even though a majority of us disliked the book very much. :-)

Also, I LOVED the idea of an S&L award. I think I am in favor of 1 award for each category, but either way it is a great idea. I don't normally read all the sword picks because I am primarily a laser guy. HOWEVER, I might be more motivated to try the lasers if I knew there was going to be a vote at the end of the year. :-) Everyone wants to pick a winner!

Great job guys. Can't wait for the next podcast.

message 26: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buzz wrote: "Hey, I didn't notice the sword sound when they did the bare your sword section. Was that intentional? Or is that something unique to watching the podcast video instead of the audio?"

I do the effects in post, so they're not in the hangouts.

message 27: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments It was cool having another voice on the show. Maybe you could do that more every once in a while. An occasional guest host that's either a writer or knowledgable fan from the forums. Great show, thanks.

message 28: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I also really liked the updated format of the show. It flowed a lot better.

Thanks for backing the show, Bryan!