This topic is about Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Tales of Mystery and Imagination, by Edgar Allan Poe

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe

GR synopsis:
This collection of Poe's best stories contains all the terrifying and bewildering tales that characterise his work. As well as the Gothic horror of such famous stories as The Pit and the Pendulum, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Premature Burial and The Tell-Tale Heart, all of Poe's Auguste Dupin stories are included.

These are the first modern detective stories and include The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mystery of Marie Roget and The Purloined Letter.

I am reading this for week 16, from the Top 100 Mystery Novels. This is my first of two choices for this week. I picked this because I absolutely love EAP, and it's been a long time since I've sat down and read a collection of his works. When I saw this book on the list I knew I had to read it.

message 2: by DJ (new)

DJ MacLennan (djmac) | 13 comments Hi Manda,I too love EAP and have collected most of his work over the years.I was curious and wanted to ask you,do you have any particular rituals(wrong choice of word maybe!)when settling down to read,music,no music,on your own or in company?

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Darren wrote: "Hi Manda,I too love EAP and have collected most of his work over the years.I was curious and wanted to ask you,do you have any particular rituals(wrong choice of word maybe!)when settling down to r..."

Typically I go and find myself a quiet place with minimal bacground noise. If I'm home alone I'll turn on the TV and turn the volume down low. Just so there's something, but not enough where I cannot concentrate. Though, I am also a person who takes a book with me everywhere I go and can read just about anywhere.

message 4: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Annnnnnnnndddddddd, done! These were just as beautiful and thrilling as I remember them to have always been. I love EAP's way of writing that is so calming yet eerie. True classics!

5/5

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) So far i'm through the first two stories. I just love EAP. I have read quite a few of his books/stories and just love them.