S.S. Rebel Alliance (Silent Sustained Reading Discussions) discussion

Theme of Death and Dying

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hill | 30 comments Mod
This is where you can discuss the theme of death and dying as is appears in the novels you are reading. How do the characters handle death? What are your personal thoughts? Don't forget to tell us what book you are reading.

message 2: by James (new)

James Troxler | 5 comments The Hobbit has a theme of death and dying in it. Although if i were to tell you where that would spoil the entire book for anyone who wants to read it. Although the main character does not handle death well, and in fact, becomes a wreck. My thoughts on this theme are that death is a tricky thing. For me i don't really have an outward reaction to death.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Williard | 1 comments One of the themes in the book A Bend in the Road is death and dying. The main character Miles goes through a long time grieving over his dead wife. He is determined to find out who the person is that is responsible for the hit and run that left his wife on the side of the road.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin | 1 comments I am reading a book that focuses on this theme death and dying. The main character Adam can tell how long someone has to live based off of numbers he sees in there eyes and most of them don't have very long to live.

message 5: by Proctor (new)

Proctor Davis | 3 comments The Epic of Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh's best friend, Enkidu, dies and he is so over come with grief that he does nothing for so long that his hair grows in a mess, and he grows a very dirty beard. He now fears death him self.

message 6: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Thomas | 2 comments A study in Scarlet is actually a pretty good mystery, with solving murders and how Holmes figures things out and how his brain processes things is really awesome. I'm looking forward to reading the second part of this story.

message 7: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 2 comments the great Gatsby , the main character Gatsby at the end of the book gets shot by his old lovers new man.

message 8: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Davis | 3 comments The Hunt for Red October has a murder occur within the first few chapters. Cpt. Ramius murders Cpt. Putin in the war room when the two are alone. I still havent fully found out why he murdered him but i believe it was because they had different beliefs in how to control the sub.

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Crooks | 3 comments The Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice
Louis doesn't handle death well at first because of his faith and the sudden death of one of his family members. He believed that death shouldn't be forced it should come naturally to an individual. However, after Lestat enters the scene, Louis is forced to grow to accept it into a way of life or an everyday thing due to Lestat's nature and way of living. After Lestat enters Louis has to fight with himself on the issue of death as his mortal self doesn't want to harm a human being but his immortal self needs it to survive.

message 10: by Lina (new)

Lina Walsh | 2 comments The Fault In Our Stars is not only about love but also about death and dying. Hazel Grace has to deal with the death of her boyfriend Augustus who also had cancer. Hazel handles his death like anyone would handle the death of someone they love dearly. She was in a lot of pain and she was very sad but at the funeral she put that pain aside and did what Augustus had wanted her to do and that was speak at his funeral.

message 11: by Austen (new)

Austen Clark | 2 comments Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher I am currently reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This novel reflects the theme of death as the main character, Hannah, leaves behind a tape record recording thirteen reasons why she committed suicide. Throughout the book, the author narrates the story and includes the messages left in the tapes. The messages are for thirteen different people who inflicted pain on Hannah to cause her death.

message 12: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine Wilson | 2 comments The book that I am reading about solving a murder therefore death is the main theme in this book.

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Crain | 1 comments In the Book the Darkest Path The Glorious path is Taking over the world and is killing all the rebels. The Rebels are running away and trying to win the war

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 1 comments I am reading As Dead As It Gets and it is about a girl who can see ghosts and has one specific ghosts following her. And the ghost following her is trying to kill all of the girls from a certain group she was in before she died recently.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara Lane | 3 comments I am currently reading Nine Years Under by Sheri Booker. This book is about her job working in a funeral home, thus i have concluded that the theme is about death and dying. Saddened by her aunt's death, Sheri falls into a deep depression, until a family friend offers her 15 year old self a job working in his funeral home.

message 16: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Bohlmann | 3 comments In The Eleventh Plague by John Hirsch, one of Steven's (main character) closest relatives dies near the beginning of the book. (Keep in mind that this book is based in a post-apocalyptic world...kinda) Shortly after, another member of his family falls down a gorge during the middle of a storm and goes into a coma after they hit their head. The story continues as Steven has to try to survive on his own while taking care of his coma-induced relative. I feel like it's pretty obvious that this book is going to keep having death as a theme.

message 17: by Austin (new)

Austin Arne | 1 comments The book I am reading, "The Walking Dead", is based mostly around how death affects the characters in the story. They live in a zombie infested world. At the beginning the characters treat
death as a person today would. As the story goes on the characters begin to seem almost unaffected by the death around them. They first have the philosophy not to kill the living. Eventually they will kill anyone if they can gain something from it. Losing someone from their own group however doesn't change.

message 18: by Carly (new)

Carly Wilson | 3 comments In the book I am reading, "Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkanban" the theme of death and dying is very apparent in the particular part of the book I am in. Harry overhears Ron's parents discussing about a villain wanting to capture Harry. Once harry arrives to Hogwarts he is told by one of his teachers that he will die before the end of the year.

message 19: by Sara (new)

Sara Lane | 3 comments I have continued to read Nine Years Under, so far Sheri has gotten a job at the funeral home where her aunt was prepared for her funeral. she feels that this job has brought her closer to her dead aunt, in a metaphorical sense. While she works, she has several realizations about death and how people cope with the death of loved ones.

message 20: by Luke (new)

Luke Dufesne | 1 comments All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

Despite the cover, there was nothing quiet about the western front. A book about war obviously has a death theme in it, for that is one of the many common and monstrous parts of war, yet there is more. Franklin D. Roosevelt Put it best, in my opinion, "war is young men dying, and old men talking." By no means am I trying to oversimplify this; however, the world would be a lot simpler if certain people just handled their differences themselves. This book is the story of Paul, a German soldier in World War ll.
Paul was nineteen, smart, carefree, and hopeful. Then the war came and changed his life, along with six of his best friends, forever. This book is not for everyone, so if you want to read about how a young man's life was destroyed by senseless politics, and one of humanities greatest atrocities. You have found the right one.

message 21: by Heba (new)

Heba Akhtar | 3 comments I'm currently reading, A Song For Ella Grey by David Almond. The theme of death is evident when Ella Grey dies from snake bites shortly after her wedding. Claire and Orpheus (her best friend and husband) are devastated by this and believe that they can bring her back from the dead. I have to continue reading to find out what happens, next...

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick Smith | 2 comments I have been investing a lot of my time reading the Demonata Series. The first book is titled Lord Loss and the theme is death because the series is based on demons that feed off of the lives and deaths of humans. This is slowly becoming the best series I have ever read, there is never a dull moment, and it seems to pull me in farther and farther every chapter, I simply can't get enough!

message 23: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Shriver | 3 comments The theme halfway through the eleventh plague is death and dying because recently the main character lost his grandpa to sickness and his dad is in a coma. This provides a dark feeling throughout the story as you do not know if his dad will wake up.

message 24: by Sara (new)

Sara Lane | 3 comments Nine Years Under has progressed with the coming of age of the main character and the theme of death. the main character tells her side of her own responsibility growing the longer she is working at the funeral home. she has also survived her first trip to the basement where Mr. Wylie prepares the bodies.

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara Sekandari | 2 comments I'm almost finished with the novel, The Secret Year by Jennifer R. Hubbard. This novel convey's the theme of Death, experienced by the main character Colt. For the past year, almost seniors, Colt and Julia have "secretly" been together. Colt and Julia are covertly connected, but nobody knows of it. The two would meet every Friday, by the bridge. Before the start of senior year, Julia is killed in a car accident. When Colt hears of the news about the death of his "girlfriend", he is in complete shock. He has to hold in all his emotions, for if he shows them, his secret with Julia will be exposed. Colt has such a difficult time mourning over Julia because he has to act nonchalantly about her missing presence as she is the talk of the school. Colt has to mourn in silence. Julia is all Colt's mind is filled with, and he has so many questions as to why she had to die.

message 26: by Asia (new)

Asia T | 4 comments I'm reading a book called The Truth About Forever. This has showed theme of death and dying by Macy's father's passing which haunts her every day because he died directly in front of her and the whole neighborhood. If anyone tries to talk to her about her father's death it seems that it hits a nerve and now she's trying to find an easier way with dealing with this besides attempting to kill herself.

message 27: by Graeme (new)

Graeme R | 4 comments In A Study in Scarlet, a major theme is death/dying. It is a mystery and suspense book, so murder and death are simply inherant in this genre. In the opening five chapters, it is introduced that a man is murdered and Holmes is responsible for solving the crime. Holmes is not shaken by death; he sees it on a nearly daily basis. Seeing dead bodies doesn't seem to phase Holmes, although Watson seems to be moderately uncomfortable. I think it is cool reading about a main character who is not phased by death. I myself have been in circumstances which have desensitized me to death, and I find his lack of qualms and his calmness around death relatable.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Noe | 4 comments In my book, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, the main character, Mia and her family have just been involved in a major car crash. Both her parents are DOA and her and her brother are brought to the ICU. While being transported to the hospital Mia is able to see herself lying on the ground and everything happening around her- she is in a stage between life and death and is experiencing an out of body experience. She can hear everything the nurses are saying. Mia has been surrounded by death so far in the book and has to deal with her possible dying. It is up to her to decoded whether she wants to live or die

message 29: by Vasilios (new)

Vasilios Liaskonis | 3 comments In my book, All's Quiet on the Western Front, the thought of death happens every second. Friends, Brothers, and Relatives, all die in an inhumane way, which would be war. War is all about death and destruction. Muller, the man talking in the book talks about how some dont even die from the battles it starvation and illnesses.
-Vasilios Liaskonis

message 30: by Braden (new)

Braden Hobbs | 3 comments I'm reading "The Probability of Miracles" by Wendy Wunder. The theme of death and dying is very prominent because the main character, Cambell, is dying of cancer. Her doctors have told her and her mother and sister that there is nothing left that they can do to help her and that she would need a miracle. Her mother sets on on finding her that miracle and begins researching everything that she can. She stumbles across a town called Promise, Maine and her family sets out to live there. In the book, they just got to Promise. For the entire trip, Cambell is struggling with the belief in miracles and thinks that they don't exist. She has accepted the fact that she's going to die and knows that it'll probably be soon. Her mother is determined to not let that happen.
-Braden Hobbs