#AYEARATHON discussion

March 2016 - Horror/Suspense > March- To Be Read (TBR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ke-sha (last edited Feb 25, 2016 06:55PM) (new)

ke-sha (angel707) | 2016 comments Mod
What Spooky/Suspenseful things are you planning to read?

Remember that the Group Read for this month is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and The discussion Boards will be linked below. If you've already read it be sure to comment as well and let us know what you thought of the book.

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie (Non-Spoiler):
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie (SPOILERS):
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Also if you saw the recent BBC adaptation of it be sure to let me know you're thoughts on it!

I think I'll Reread Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1) by Jonathan Maberry or Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry so I can continue on with the series. As you can see I'm going the Zombie route Lol

I'm going to shop my shelves and see what else I have, So my TBR may change a bit.

UPDATE:
Okay, Found Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy and I keep meaning to read it and Rewatch the first season of the show and then watch Season 2, & 3. Finally! So it's going to be Number one on my TBR for the month of March.

message 2: by Hana'a (last edited Feb 25, 2016 08:15PM) (new)

Hana'a (osnapitzhanaa) | 166 comments I don't really have any spooky or suspenseful books to read so I might just give myself a certain number of books to read off my tbr list. I might reread The Witness The Witness by Josh McDowell
Also, something I was thinking we could do for next years AYearAThon or even this years because it is so early is maybe do like 2 themes for people who don't like certain month themes, but nothing major like we could have spooky and suspenseful as the main and do "books that start with E" or the exact opposite theme. For example instead of spooky, read a lighthearted comedy. Just a thought so even when people don't like a theme they can still participate in it.

message 3: by Jake (new)

Jake Kropik (jkjkjk15) Im just going to post this now.....

I plan on reading Horowitz Horror Stories You'll Wish You Never Read by Anthony Horowitz 4951] , The Lost Days (Emily the Strange Novels, #1) by Rob Reger (Also helps another challenge) , and the group read, And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie ! Im sticking to a pretty tame TBR for this readathon! (My months TBR is 11 books, and one of these books are not even on it... failing before the month even starts :P)

message 4: by Elizabeth (last edited Feb 27, 2016 04:47AM) (new)

Elizabeth I'm planning on reading They Came Out After Dark (Tales of Crow #1) by Chris Ward They Came Out After Dark, Deadly Descent by R.G. Porter Deadly Descent then we'll see .since I have a lot of horror books on my TBR, as well as And Then There Were None And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie as well as Murder on the Orient Express (A Hercule Poirot Mystery) by Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

message 5: by Maija (new)

Maija (maijavi) | 180 comments I'm continuing my habit of picking a book that I've owned for ages for these challenges, and this time I'd like to read The Red Tree The Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan by Caitlin R. Kiernan. If might be more dark fantasy than horror, but I feel it fits the theme.

message 6: by Ana (last edited Feb 27, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 90 comments I've decided to compile a list to choose from. This is it so far:
You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1) by Thomas Harris Coraline by Neil Gaiman The Merciless by Danielle Vega 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

I've already read the group read but I might check out the discussion topics. I'm not a big suspense/horror reader, so if anyone read any of the books mentioned, please tell me you liked them or not and if you'd recommend them. :)

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 164 comments Hmm, I still have so many books I'm "currently reading" but I want to participate in this too... oh the dilemma. If I do I'll be reading the group read And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and then maybe another Agatha Christie book.

message 8: by Miranda (last edited Feb 29, 2016 08:56AM) (new)

Miranda Hamilton (mham19) | 2 comments my TBR is to participate in the group read:
: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
And You by Caroline Kepnes

message 9: by Emilee (new)

Emilee McDonald | 38 comments I am going to read dracula

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm going to read Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3) by Ransom Riggs Library of Souls since it is a bit creepy and I don't usually read to many spooky type books. I really like the first 2 books (if you haven't read them you should)

I'm hoping to read the group read as well since I have never read an Agatha Christie book and probably should. :D

message 11: by Jake (new)

Jake Kropik (jkjkjk15) I also may make an attempt at Library of Souls of I have time. I think they can fit into this theme! Also, Ms Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children Trilogy is my all time favorite, and I haven't even finished it!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Chung (bingereader19) | 123 comments This readathon is going to be very difficult cause I have a ton of these types of books. I'm currently hosting #stephenking2016 and we are reading The Talisman (The Talisman, #1) by Peter Straub .

I also might try to finish Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and then maybe pick up some graphic novels American Vampire, Vol. 3 by Scott Snyder The Sandman, Vol. 2 The Doll's House (The Sandman #2) by Neil Gaiman and lastly maybe a novella Pure Evil by Jesse Bastide

message 13: by tiara (new)

tiara (tiarareads444) This month will be the first successful reading month, I hope. I have a lot of school reading to do, as you will see.
My plan is:
Poema de Mio Cid
La Celestina
La vida del lazarillo de Tormes
Don Quixote
Misery

message 14: by Lara (new)

Lara (laraiswrite) | 100 comments I'm going to attempt to break through the lingering effects of my February reading slump by reading Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe. I figure a series of short stories and such will be perfect for that. =p I'll also aim to finally read Dracula by Bram Stoker. Both of these books have been sitting on my shelf since high school, waiting for me to have more than just a browsing interest in them. Haha.

message 15: by Haley (new)

Haley Elizabeth (haleyelizabetthh) | 10 comments March 2016 TBR | Diary Of A Book Worm Artist
https://diaryofabookwormartist.wordpr...

That's my blog about my TBR I will be following the first 50 followers back so follow !!

My TBR is
-allegiant
-miss peregrines home for peculiar children
-cress
- winter (maybe)

message 16: by Clara (new)

Clara | 26 comments My main goal for this month is to finish The Shadow of the Wind which I have somehow managed to neglect for months now despite it being really good!
If I manage, my priority list will look like this:

- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
- Taltos
- The Killing Jar

message 17: by Meneniareads (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 93 comments I'm going to read Carrie. Don't think I will get the time to read more... Too much school work...

message 18: by Winter (new)

Winter (winter9) TBR:

Pet Sematary by Stephen King Revival by Stephen King The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson You Can't Scare Me! (Goosebumps #15) by R.L. Stine Deep Trouble (Goosebumps, #19) by R.L. Stine

My current tbr! Might change it on a whim though ^^ This gives me a nice selection of easy reads, scary reads and horror at night reads that I can actually dare to read alone and on kindle :)

message 19: by Soumya (new)

Soumya  (-crazyangelicvamp-) i've not got much i'll chesk my shelves and say

message 20: by Soumya (new)

Soumya  (-crazyangelicvamp-) well assuming names and fixed in fear are there in my must read list

message 21: by Yashika (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:51AM) (new)

Yashika Ahuja | 9 comments I'll be reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkings.

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Walker (NekosBooks) (neko-firedemontempest) | 8 comments The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare and Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) by Cassandra Clare I'll have to wait and see how I feel after reading Lady Midnight before I decide what else to read.

message 23: by Cata (new)

Cata (linaisreading_) I'm planning on reading Mara Dyer because a friend said it has suspense and it is amazing :)

message 24: by Giuliana (last edited Mar 04, 2016 08:03PM) (new)

Giuliana (giulianareads) | 11 comments The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank March TBR:
Soundless by Richelle Mead Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3) by Tahereh Mafi Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2) by Kendare Blake Crossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie Reached (Matched, #3) by Ally Condie City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling

*Rather ambitious, I know, but I really hope to get all of these books this month!*

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ok so I already read Murder on the Orient Express (A Hercule Poirot Mystery) by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie and loved it since it was for another group read, so I'm still going to pick up And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie by Agatha Christie, They Came Out After Dark (Tales of Crow #1) by Chris Ward by Chris Ward,then we'll see after that.

message 26: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (gondorianjedi) | 91 comments I wasn't sure i'd be able to find any books to read for this months theme, but I got A Madness So Discreet from the library today so that kind of counts.
That or i'll keep trying to get through 11/22/63 which isn't really a thriller but seeing as it's by Stephen King I feel it kind of counts.
My audiobook i'll be continuing to listen to next week is Brisingr by Christopher Paolini which is not on theme, but i'm enjoying it!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Coolington | 3 comments 1st up is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins... After that who knows. I think a trip to the library may be in order

message 28: by I'mogén (new)

I'mogén (peacecookiesbooks) | 71 comments https://youtu.be/3YmR2VEdZAM
My tbr video! ^^ I'm super excited! :3

message 29: by Lianne (new)

Lianne | 7 comments Most definitely reading Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker. What else what else?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm definitely getting to Game (Jasper Dent, #2) by Barry Lyga and if all goes well I'd like to also read Unhinged (Splintered, #2) by A.G. Howard and The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin

message 31: by Amanda (new)

Amanda If all goes well I'll manage to read at least one of these two books: Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2) by Ransom Riggs Art in the Blood A Sherlock Holmes Adventure by Bonnie MacBird

message 32: by Shaeron (last edited Mar 06, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

Shaeron | 39 comments I plan to read:
And Then There Were None-Agatha Christie
14th Deadly Sin-James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
Mr. Mercedes-Stephen King
The Girl on the Train-Paula Hawkins

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) I'll be reading a few of these:
The Cabinet of Curiosities 36 Tales Brief by Stefan Bachmann The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1) by James Dashner The Morganville Vampires, Volume 1 (The Morganville Vampires, #1-2) by Rachel Caine Allison Hewitt Is Trapped (Zombie, #1) by Madeleine Roux In the After (In the After, #1) by Demitria Lunetta Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1) by Jonathan Maberry

message 34: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) | 104 comments I'm not in the mood for Horror at the moment.

For Suspense I'm going to pick up Shades of Gray by Brooke McKinley . I have been wanting to read this forever.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth I'm also going to be reading and finish Deadly Descent by R.G. Porter by R.G. Porter.

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lianne wrote: "Most definitely reading Dracula by Bram Stoker by Bram Stoker. What else what else?"
I picked that up last for a re read since I haven't read it in a while and of course loved it.

message 37: by Meneniareads (last edited Mar 06, 2016 03:17AM) (new)

Meneniareads (nenia) | 93 comments Ana wrote: "I've decided to compile a list to choose from. This is it so far:
You (You, #1) by Caroline KepnesWe Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley JacksonAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad and can def recommend it. (And, it being a Norwegian book, and me being from Norway, I kinda have to... No, it's good!).

Coraline is an easy and enjoyable read. And American Psycho is great. Both Neil Gaiman and Bret Easton Ellis are some of my fav authors.

I've just finished 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad and can def recommend it. (And, it being a Norwegian book, and me being from Norway, I kinda have to... No, it's good!).

Coraline by Neil Gaiman is an easy and enjoyable read. And American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis is great. Both Neil Gaiman and Bret Easton Ellis are some of my fav authors.

(I'm sorry for this weird-looking reply, but something doesn't work correctly here...)

message 38: by I'mogén (new)

I'mogén (peacecookiesbooks) | 71 comments Tbr time!! :D This is what I'm hoping to get to for this month's theme!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmR2...

message 39: by Jake (new)

Jake Kropik (jkjkjk15) Hoping to finish everything, everything today. I have 200 pages left... I'm for sure finishing, and if I'm still in the mood I might jump in this readathon a day early because I won't have much time to read Mon-Thursday since I have School/Drivers Ed. (Usually have work too, but with Drivers Ed I asked not to be scheduled during the week)

message 40: by I'mogén (new)

I'mogén (peacecookiesbooks) | 71 comments Good luck, Jake!

message 41: by BooksAmL (new)

BooksAmL | 47 comments Wow you guys have quite a few good reads, if it wasn't for this amazing group i would not push myself so much even during work, but i find that it calms me during my breaks to read a little.
I will read And Then There Were None and Classic Tales Of Vampires And Shapeshifters. Then i will see if in the same week if not during march i will read Wicked Lovely (curently reading) Days of Blood & Starlight and maybe Truthwitch

message 42: by Magalys (new)

Magalys I don't think I've read more than a handful of books from this genre but I'm going to the The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd and the Agatha Christie novel if time allows for it because I believe I found I copy at my library. :)

message 43: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Costa (kimcosta) I need to get to these
Psycho by Robert Bloch
The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah
After the Woods by Kim Savage
And finish or restart
Hemlock Grove by Brian McGreevy

message 44: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Ok once again here is my list which has once again changed:
They Came Out After Dark (Tales of Crow #1) by Chris Ward
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie ( already started)
The Skin Collector by Jeffery Deaver ( been reading)
And I might listening on audio book one of H.P.Lovecraft's books which might be The Shunned House by H.P. Lovecraft

message 45: by Jake (new)

Jake Kropik (jkjkjk15) Oh shoot I also plan on reading Hell School: Freshmeat. I received a free early copy from the author for review!

message 46: by Noseinabook (new)

Noseinabook (goodreadscomnoseinabook) | 55 comments So this month's theme is not one I usually read. I'm not big into suspense and I usually hate horror. Still, part of the reason I'm doing this read-a-thon is to get out of my reading comfort zone. That being said, my TBR consists of quite a few books so that I can pick up whatever I find interesting. Most of these fall into the mystery category, as opposed to "thriller/horror". I had already read the group read so I have two different Agatha Christie novels to choose from: The Mirror Cracked and Clocks. I also have a Murder She Wrote novel called Martini's and Mayhem, a Nora Roberts detective mystery called Brazen Virtue, and Big Boned (Heather Wells Mystery 3) by Meg Cabot. I even have one horror which is House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker. I'm probably not going to get to all of these, but this way I have a lot of variety to choose from. Happy reading everyone!

message 47: by Heli (new)

Heli | 13 comments Hi everybody! This is my first read-a-thon and I'm really excited :)
So, since I've lately been in a bit of a reading slump and am also quite busy this week with other things, I want to take it slowly. I plan to finish Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and then start either The Last American Vampire by Seth Grahame-Smith or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith . I also want to continue with the Sandman -series by Neil Gaiman and also Neil Gaiman's Death The High Cost of Living (Death of the Endless, #1) by Neil Gaiman (these are all craphic novels). I hope these fit into the category for this month's read-a-thon :) Yay!

message 48: by Danielle ♥ (last edited Mar 07, 2016 07:33AM) (new)

Danielle ♥ (daniellewaltz) | 11 comments I will be reading And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie along with the group!!! ☺ This isn't a genre I often read yet I always enjoy this genre so I'm looking forward to it!

message 49: by Mabel (new)

Mabel (friendlvr) I actually wanted to read horror books, but couldn't really find any so I got 3 which had fell under the teen horror category according to my library... Those three books are On the Day I Died by Candace Fleming, The Cemetery Boys by Heather Brewer, and The End Games by T. Michael Martin. If I have time I will also be reading Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick which is the third book in the Hush Hush series.

message 50: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) | 90 comments Nenia wrote: "Ana wrote: "I've decided to compile a list to choose from. This is it so far:
You (You, #1) by Caroline KepnesWe Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley JacksonAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis[bookcove..."

I'm glad they are good picks! I'm really excited for all of them. ^^ Thanks for replying. :)

« previous 1