EAT, SLEEP, READ, REPEAT. discussion

Books! > Retellings

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica, I will not be afraid. (new)

Jessica (wolf14989) | 29 comments Mod
Retellings. Sometimes they let us and the legacy of what they're retelling down-and other times they retell it perfectly and even IMPROVE an already good or great story.
What are your feelings on retellings and do you have any favourites?
I personally like the Lunar Chronicles series and the Dorothy Must Die series.

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor | 1735 comments THE WRATH AND THE DAWN... it's a retelling of A Thousand and One Nights. Also, A Court of Thorns and Roses.
I love YA retellings. I really need them really entertaining, especially when the author changes a lot of things that were not in the original.

message 3: by Kageyama (new)

Kageyama Tobio (kageyamatobio) | 2 comments I also enjoyed the Lunar Chronicles, though I felt the last book was a bit of a let down in my opinion, but this isn't the right discussion to talk about that, huh?

I also like agree with Taylor with A Court of Thorns and Roses which I really enjoyed, though I was disappointed (ish) about how it was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but the Beast wasn't much of a beast.

message 4: by Phoenix2 (new)

Phoenix2 | 481 comments I agree with @Kageyama about the ACoTaR and the beast, although he was a beast or kinda at the begining but then he stayed mostly human like. I think Insanity (Mad in Wonderland) is really good, even though there are too many retells of Alice in Wonderland

Amanda-I dream of a gallant southern gentleman watching the sunset | 258 comments Valiant! Technically a retelling of the brave little tailor, although i'll admit it has very little in common with the original story. But I'd choose valiant over the brave little tailor any day.

message 6: by Xoxoasia (new)

Xoxoasia | 19 comments I really love ACOTAR by Sarah J. Maas. My favorite retelling is Throne of Glass, also by Sarah J. Maas. It's a very loose retelling of Cinderella.