Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

The Moonstone
This topic is about The Moonstone
The Moonstone, by Wilkie Collins

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

MJ | 681 comments I am reading this for item 16, one of the top 100 mystery novels.

The Moonstone is a stunning yellow diamond the size of a bird's egg. It was inherited by the young Englishwoman Rachel Verinder and is also the sacred talisman to the Hindu priests who hope to bring it back to their holy city in India, from which it was looted long ago. The diamond's disappearance sets in motion an intricately plotted mystery.

This novel is considered the first book ever written in the detective novel genre.

Kathy | 2300 comments I also read this for week 16, a book from the top 100 mystery novels. Told by different characters, the story in detailed and well-written. I would think I had the mystery figured out, then there'd be a revelation that dashed my ideas. ★★★★

Here's the Goodreads summary:

Wilkie Collins’s spellbinding tale of romance, theft, and murder inspired a hugely popular genre–the detective mystery. Hinging on the theft of an enormous diamond originally stolen from an Indian shrine, this riveting novel features the innovative Sergeant Cuff, the hilarious house steward Gabriel Betteridge, a lovesick housemaid, and a mysterious band of Indian jugglers.