Ms. A's Advanced English Book Discussions discussion

Hamlet
This topic is about Hamlet
Hamlet vs Lion King

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Applegate-Brummel (cassidylea) | 4 comments Mod
So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe Lion King is, or is not, an adaptation of Hamlet. (should be 2-3 paragraphs)

You must also respond to at least one of your classmate's responses

message 2: by Spencer (new)

Spencer | 9 comments I believe that the Lion King and Hamlet can be very similar. The characters are a great representation of how similar the two can be. The main characters in the Lion King are very similar between the two. Simba and Scar are the same as Hamlet and Claudius. You can easily tell how thier characters are the similar. Even some of the side characters are the same as in Hamlet. Each character can represent someone from Hamelt in some way.
The storyline in the Lion King can be the same as Hamlet. Both have a son that is trying to take over the king. Both have the father of the son dead from a family member. That family member then takes over the place. The son then has to try to do what's right and take over the king. They both go through challenges as they're trying to take over. They both end with the king dying and peace being restored in some way.

message 3: by Aric (new)

Aric B | 9 comments I think The Lion King can be considered an adaptation. I think that Scar and Claudius show similarities. They both were power hungry and killed their brother because of that. I think it's the same with Mufasa and King Hamlet. They were both loved by their kingdom and they were running the place well, but they were both murdered by their brother so they could attain that power. I think that the fight scene at the end of both of them showed similarities.

Both Simba and Hamlet got revenge on their father's murderer in an intense fashion. Hamlet through the intense fencing match, and Simba through the battle with the hyenas. In The Lion King, Simba ran away so he wouldn't have to deal with Scar, but in Hamlet, he was in the Kingdom throughout the whole story. I think this shows similarities in how they decide how to take revenge. Hamlet had the ghost of his father, and Simba had his father's face in the clouds, as well as having Rafiki guide him. In the end, peace was restored to the kingdom in some way. In Hamlet, they all died, but the kingdom was no longer under the rule of a murdering psychopath, and in The Lion King, the rightful king took back control of the kingdom that his uncle stole from him.

message 4: by Aric (new)

Aric B | 9 comments I agree with Spencer. The story line itself has many similarities, and so do the characters. The power hungry uncle killed the king and were able to take care of the son so that they could assume the position that they longed for. Both of the stories has a fight scene in the end where the son, Hamlet and Simba were able to take revenge on their fathers murderer.

message 5: by Hunter (new)

Hunter G | 9 comments I believe that The Lion King can be considered an adaptation. I think that it shares multiple similarities with Hamlet. Scar and Mufasa share the exact similarities with Claudius and King Hamlet. Hamlet and Mufasa were both great leaders and Claudius and Scar were jealous and power hungry, so in both examples the brothers killed the kings and took their thrones. The events leading up to the fight at the end were also very similar.
The fact that Simba and Hamlet were both banished to different places showed the same traits. They both went off to different places and were pushed back to regain the kingdoms. Hamlet had his fathers ghost guide and tell him what to do and in The Lion King Simba had his fathers face in the clouds which was able to guide him back. The end fight was very similar to because of the fact that revenge was restored by killing Claudius/Scar and this was able to restore both kingdoms. Even though Hamlet died in the end of Hamlet and Simba survived in the The Lion King this was one of the only differences between the two.

message 6: by Hunter (new)

Hunter G | 9 comments I agree with Aric. They were both guided by their fathers which helped them take the kingdoms back. The brothers were both very hungry and like Aric stated the kingdom was restored even though in Hamlet they all died they aren't being ruled by a murdering psychopath anymore.

message 7: by Bridgeth (new)

Bridgeth | 9 comments Cassidy wrote: "So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe Lion King is, or..."

I think The Lion King can be considered an adaptation. I think there are a lot of similarities between the two. The characters are a major sign. Hamlet and Simba are related because they both are the main characters who lost their father. Hamlet wanted to avenge his fathers death and Simba needed to reclaim the throne. Another would be Claudius and Scar. They both were jealous of their brother and wanted the throne to themselves. To get this power they both killed their brother.

When Hamlet returned from England and Simba came back to the Pride Land were similarities. They were both coming home to fix what was wrong. Hamlet wanted to get rid of Claudius for good, and Simba wanted to get rid of Scar in order to save the Pride Land. Leading up to this event, Hamlet and Simba finally realized what they needed to do. Hamlet knew that he needed to stop Claudius. He needed to stop be a coward and actually kill Claudius. Simba needed to remember who he was. He needed to know that he was suppose to be king and help his friends and family. At the end of the movie the hyenas turned on Scar. They realized that he was just using them to get rid of Simba and Mufasa in order for him to be king. This was like the scene in Hamlet when Laertes realized Claudius was using him in order to kill Hamlet. So I do think The Lion King is an adaptation of Hamlet because the story lines are very similar.

message 8: by Bridgeth (new)

Bridgeth | 9 comments I agree with Aric. Both Hamlet and Simba had a guide to help them make their decisions. Hamlet had the ghost of his father who told him the truth about Claudius and Simba had his dad appear in the clouds to remind him who he was. They were bother directed by their fathers to get their kingdoms back.

message 9: by Jaydan (new)

Jaydan M | 8 comments I do think The Loin King is a adaptation of Hamlet. Adapting is making (something) suitable for a new use or purpose; modify. The Lion King may not be exactly like Hamlet, but it is far too similar to Hamlet to say it is not an adaptation. Hamlet and Simba were the first set of Characters that closely resembled each other. Simba is the son of the king. The dead king visits Simba and told him he needs to make things right. Simba fights scar to gain Pride Rock back. Those all happened in Hamlet. The second set of characters would be Scar and Claudius. Scar planned to kill Mufasa and then actually killed him. Then Scar told Simba to run away and never come back. As soon as Mufasa was murdered, Scar immediately took the throne. He told everyone Simba was dead so he had complete power.
In the play, Claudius is praying and confesses that he Killed Hamlet Sr. and in the end Scar confessed to everyone he was the one who killed Mufasa, not Simba. The sibling rivalry between Mufasa and Scar and Claudius and Hamlet Sr. are very similar. Hamlet and Mufasa were both king. They both had a son that would take over of they passed. Then the brothers, Claudius and Scar were extremely jealous. The brothers both planned to kill the kings and take the throne right away before the sons do. The rivalry was for the power and glory and that obviously meant more than family. It bit them both in the butt in the end.
The love interests, Ophelia and Nala made the story much more interesting and relatable. They aren't necessarily the most important characters, but they do add to the story. They weren't entirely the same but they were both love interests.

message 10: by Jaydan (new)

Jaydan M | 8 comments I agree with Spencer. The characters in Hamlet are very similar and have a lot in common with the characters in the Lion King. I agree that by the kings dying and many other events, peace was eventually restored. I also agree with Hunter. The ghost of the deceased kings both came to the sons. They talked to them and told them that things needed to be fixed.

message 11: by Nichole (new)

Nichole D | 8 comments Cassidy wrote: "So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe Lion King is, or..."

I think that the Lion King is an adaptation of Hamlet. The two stories have many similarities. There are a few differences between the two otherwise it has the same story line. Like Simba and Hamlet were both sons of the the king. The dead king goes and visits them and tells them to remeber who he was and convinces him to go home. Just like when the ghost told Hamlet to avenge him.
The sibling rivalry between Mufasa and scar are just like Hamlet Sr. and Claudius. Mufasa and Hamlet sr. children were supposed to take over when they died, but the brothers get jealous and end up killing them. The brothers make a plan to kill the king before they do it. In the end the glory they were looking for was taken away when the rightful king took over.
Ophelia and Nala were a ditraction of love to the new upcoming king. The two just add to the story because they aren't really needed.

message 12: by Nichole (new)

Nichole D | 8 comments Jaydan wrote: "I do think The Loin King is a adaptation of Hamlet. Adapting is making (something) suitable for a new use or purpose; modify. The Lion King may not be exactly like Hamlet, but it is far too similar..."

I agree with Jaydan. I think that the Lion King was is an adaptation to Hamlet with a few differences. Many of the same events happen in the two stories. Eventually the two listened to what they thought was right and saved their people from further harm.

message 13: by BradR5595 (new)

BradR5595 | 9 comments I think that the Lion King can be considered a adaptation of if. It follows much of the same story line as Hamlet's and the changes that are made is because it is a children story and they want to make it a little happier then Hamlet. Many of the same characters are relateable such as Simba and Hamlet. Both had there fathers kill, are banished from the kingdom, meet a ghost and come back to take their kingdom back. Also Scar and Claudius are very similar, they both come up with plans to kill the king, take the throne, and in the end get killed from what they have done in the past.

Other similarities that are shown are that the king banishes them from the kingdom. Whether it is Hamlet to England or Scar telling Simba to run away. In both stories the main character is met by a ghost that tells them to go back and avenge their fathers death. Also in the end the person helping the villain turns against them. Laeretes turns against Claudius as he is dying and the Hyenas turn against scar at the end of it.

message 14: by BradR5595 (new)

BradR5595 | 9 comments I agree with what Jaydan saying that they are far to many similarities to say that it is not an adaptation. I like how you include the definition of it. I agree that it doesn't have to be an exact replication, to be an adaptation. Also how not just the main events are the exact same, but the secondary events can be seen in both stories if you look hard enough.

message 15: by Jadync4 (new)

Jadync4 | 9 comments Cassidy wrote: "So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe Lion King is, or..."
I do believe that the Lion King can be considered and adaptation of Hamlet. Hamlet talked to his father as a ghost and from there took revenge for his death towards the new king and his step dad, Claudius. Simba was under the impression that he was at fault for his fathers death because Scar made him believe that so he would be the new king. After Simba communicated with his ghost of a father, he learned the truth and from there took revenge on Scar. Also, the adaptation was the same, a kingdom. They both involved the place of a kingdom. The both also involved the characters turning into Kings and fighting for their deserved spot of a King. Another thing is they both involved the ghost of the son's fathers.
Simba and Hamlet were both sent away from their Kingdom, and both later on came back for revenge. There are many similarities to not think it isn't an adaptation. There are only few differences between the two stories.

message 16: by Jadync4 (new)

Jadync4 | 9 comments Nichole wrote: "Cassidy wrote: "So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe ..."

I agree with Nicole. There are way too many similarities to be considered not an adaption. There are only a few small differences, but other than that, they both have the same moral.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz J. | 8 comments I believe that The Lion King can bee considered an adaptation of Hamlet. Simba is clearly the main character and resembles Hamlet is terms of the play. Sarabi could be considered Gertrude in the play because she (Sarabi) is Simba's mother and Simba resembles Hamlet.

Along with the story line being the same, there was sibling rivalry between brothers. Scar and Claudius was jealous of Mufasa and Hamlet Sr. They were jealous that they were stuck on the sideline while their brother was liked by everybody and was able to rule a kingdom. The story line was the same because the king was murdered by his brother and then he took over the kingdom.

There were also similar themes between the movie and the play. The theme of revenge was relevant. The theme of revenge was more relevant in the play. The theme (I believe) did not come in until the end when Simba realized that Scar killed his father.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz J. | 8 comments In Response to Jadyn:

There were many similarities in the movie from the book, but the few differences that were in the movie drastically changed the story line. For instance, Simba witnessing his father's death. It was not in the play and that change changed the story line. Also, in the movie, Simba ran away by himself because he was scared of what others might think about him instead of acting crazy and then being sent away because he had to.

I am not saying that it is not an adaptation, I am just making a statement that one change can change the entire story line.

message 19: by Brockj (new)

Brockj | 9 comments I believe that Hamlet was an accurate representation of Hamlet. The most noticeable similarities come from two of the main characters in the Lion King and Hamlet. Hamlet is clearly portrayed in The Lion King as "Simba" the young and impressionable future king of Pride Rock. The second Shakespeare character being Claudius who is portrayed as "Scar" in The Lion King as the brother to the king who doubles as the villain. Many of the same character's personalities can be seen throughout both pieces.
Another important similarity that exists is the basic story line. Both stories are based around a young character who is destined to be king. Both stories also feature the death of the main character's father being killed by the main character's uncle. This leads into another similarity which is the revenge aspect. Both Hamlet and Simba eventually seek revenge for the death of their fathers. The last similarity relates to the restoration of "good" after the villain is defeated. This is achieved differently in each story, but it exists. In Hamlet, not only does the villain die, but so does the main character, while in The Lion King Simba is able to take back control of his families land after defeating his uncle, Scar.

message 20: by Brockj (new)

Brockj | 9 comments BradR5595 wrote: "I think that the Lion King can be considered a adaptation of if. It follows much of the same story line as Hamlet's and the changes that are made is because it is a children story and they want to ..."
I agree with Brad. Not only were Hamlet and Simba both guided through their journeys by their deceased fathers, but they also were banished from the kingdom as well. I think that the reason for their banishment was to set the stage for the reinvention of the main characters. Both Simba and Hamlet were down in the dumps after their traumatic experiences. After their banishment, however, both managed to find themselves again and save the day.

message 21: by Nateb6 (new)

Nateb6 | 9 comments I think that Lion King is a very direct representation of Hamlet. The most obvious of the direct correlations is the characters of Scar and Simba. Scar would be King Claudius and Simba would be Hamlet. These characters are the most obvious choices because they follow the same exact paths that the characters in the story do too. Besides those two, another main example is the fact that the king is slain in each story by his brother. This is the foundation for both stories and this event ties both of them together. Another main thing that correlates the two stories is the fact that both main characters were banished for their actions and returned to help those around them escape peril. Lastly, the reason why these two stories are alike is because of the fact that revenge is sought after time by each character. Each character had a lot of time to know what they were going to do and they succeeded in killing their uncles.

message 22: by Nateb6 (new)

Nateb6 | 9 comments Brock, I agree with you about everything that you said. We both talked about how the characters were the same and the fact that revenge was sought out by each son. I think the point you made about the "good" being returned was very interesting. I never really thought about it in that light until you put it that way. You made a lot of points that really showed the similarities in the two stories.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Clapper | 9 comments Cassidy wrote: "So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe Lion King is, or..."

I believe it is a loose adaptation of Hamlet. Simba is obviously connected to Hamlet because he did things like kill his father and run away. While away he had a sudden realization that he needed to return to avenge his father, and a fight with his uncle. Scar is very similar to Claudius in that he killed his father in order to take the throne. He tried to order around Sarabi, some what similar to how Claudius and Gertrude ended up in Hamlet. He also tried to run the kingdom. In Hamlet it did not show much of the overall impact of the different leader, the book focused more one specific families. In Lion King, however, the change in leadership was very apparent throughout the kingdom.

An event that was somewhat similar in the Lion King and Hamlet was the dramatic fight at the end. Hamlet killed Claudius and Simba "killed" Scar but the difference was Scar was the only one killed in the movie, in Hamlet everyone died. The dramatic realization of the need to return to the Kingdom was also similar. Hamlet watched some soldiers and realized what he needed to do, and Simba was visited by his late father and that was enough to send him home. Both times there was a final push that lead the characters to return. Finally, I caught in one part of the movie, the talking to the skull scene. I found that ironically similar because it almost seemed as if Disney was throwing a bone out saying, "hey look, make the connection." Hamlet is very famous for that scene and the fact that Lion King almost seemed to make a play on it fuller drove me to believe that the two stories are connected.

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Clapper | 9 comments Jaydan wrote: "I agree with Spencer. The characters in Hamlet are very similar and have a lot in common with the characters in the Lion King. I agree that by the kings dying and many other events, peace was event..."

Nichole I agree with your opinion, I think Lion King is an adaptation of Hamlet. I liked how you brought up the ghost of the father appearing in both versions. I did not write about that, but I totally agree. That scene with him showing up and encouraging to redeem the throne and reveal the truth was incredibly similar.

message 25: by Spencer (new)

Spencer | 9 comments I agree with you nate in saying that the characters are very similar. Scar and Simba show it the most because of their adventures they have to go through. Revenge is a big theme in both of the play and movie. They both did take time to plan their revenge, but in the end, they both did end up killing their uncles.

message 26: by Jacoba (new)

Jacoba | 4 comments I believe that The Lion King is an adaptation of Hamlet. Scar and Claudius had a lot of similarities. The main characters are very similar. Scar and Claudius are alike, and Simba and Hamlet are a lot alike. There are many other characters that are alike between the two. I think the fight scene between Simba and Scar is a lot like the fight scene with Hamlet and Claudius.

The story line between the two are very similar as well. The uncle kills the king and the prince wants revenge. Even though the events that happen are not all the same they have the same idea. No matter how long it took, both Simba and Hamlet, made sure that Scar and Claudius were dead.

message 27: by Carter (new)

Carter Larson | 7 comments So the question remains, do you think Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet? Using your notes, use 5 specific examples (only two can be characters) on why you believe Lion King is, or is not, an adaptation of Hamlet. (should be 2-3 paragraphs)

Yes, I believe that the Lion King can be considered an adaptation of Hamlet. Scar banishes Simba after the death of Mufasa, just like Claudius "sent" Hamlet away after the death of Hamlet Sr. Simba eventually was found by Timon and Pumba which helped get him back on his feet and kind of build his strength. I relate this to Hamlet Jr. finding Rosencrantz and Guildenstern while away at school, and they became inseparable and literal best friends. One difference was that Timon and Pumba never betrayed Simba, where I feel like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern did in a way when they were taking the King and Queen's side of things. The last fight seen, was a lot like the fencing match to me. Claudius & Scar had master plans to kill off the son who should really be the king. They each had help at their side which were the Hyenas or Laertes in Claudius's case. In the end, the rightful died. But, sadly in Hamlet, the son did too. Scar represented Claudius very well to me. He came off nice and caring, but his intentions were always the opposite just like Claudius. Zazu and Polonius went hand in hand, they were sort of the group gossip and always reported back to the higher hand what was happening. I think in the Lion King though, Zazu was more loyal to Simba then Polonius was to Hamlet.

message 28: by Carter (new)

Carter Larson | 7 comments Courtney, I agree that there were adaptations, but maybe not directly correlated to the Lion King. In Hamlet, a different leader didn't really change the mood or the well-being of the people. In the Lion King, when Scar untied Pride Rock with the Hyenas, things went down hill fast. I never much thought of that view point, good discussion!