Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Hunter's Claim (The Alliance, #1)
This topic is about Hunter's Claim
May 2014: Hunter's Claim > Post Questions here for the HANGOUT MAY 27th AT 7pm PST!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 2 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Our Livestream will be happening 5/27 at 7pm PDT at this link:

https://plus.google.com/events/crbaqs...
To discuss Hunter's Claim by SE Smith!

Post what you would like us to discuss on-air here, and feel free to start any threads in the folder below! Make sure to mark *SPOILERS* in the header if your thread contains them!

Cassandra Stryffe | 33 comments *SPOILERS*

Does anyone else think that the author just sort of dropped the issue of the main male protagonist suddenly questioning his whole view on 'First Contact' issues?

I really thought that could have led to some interesting conflict, but it was like "Oh hey...I wonder if we're doing the right thing here?" and then "Never mind, who cares, I'm gonna go sniff Jesse for a while!"

Tereza What was your favorite facepalm moment?

Lori J (silkspectre) | 17 comments *spoiler warning*

What did you think about the alien warriors getting constantly captured when they went to fight? And also, at one point before the second mission Hunter mentions that no women are allowed to come because it's too dangerous - and yet they were rescued by Jesse not too long before.

Natasha Silver | 3 comments *spoilers*

Do you think a sex swap would be enough to make the characters more interesting? I.e, female dominated alien warrior race claiming three brothers?

For me this also raises question of the female protagonist, would you consider a stereotypical female traits within a male sexed character to be a female?

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Did Hunter, Saber, and Dagger remind anyone else of The Initiative boys from Buffy the Vampire Slayer? I just could not shake that imagine of them in all their lameness...

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments WHY DID HE BITE HER DURING SEX?!

Laura | 14 comments What choice of word(s) in the book made you cringe?

taranova | 25 comments Two words: vaginal channel.

WTF?

Jessica | 27 comments Did this strike anyone else as a grown up version of Lilo and Stitch?

Gretchen (gretchen_bens) | 41 comments Would you willing leave to live on an alien planet if the Earth was in a constant state of war?

Laura | 14 comments taranova wrote: "Two words: vaginal channel.

WTF?"

Exactly!!! Ugh.

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lori J (silkspectre) | 17 comments Laura wrote: "taranova wrote: "Two words: vaginal channel.

WTF?"

Exactly!!! Ugh."

Yeah how many times did they put the word 'vaginal channel' during the sex scenes. It was probably the most unsexy word I can think of relating to genitals.

message 14: by Nemi (new)

Nemi What do you think about naming characters after English nouns?

message 15: by Kamil (last edited May 04, 2014 01:29PM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments don't you think this gives the term "crazy cat-lady" a new meaning?
And for some reason the aliens sounded so krogan-ish.

Frakki Karu | 509 comments What was your favorite alien name.

message 17: by Joia (last edited May 05, 2014 05:23PM) (new)

Joia | 12 comments *SPOILERS*

I'd like to hear your take on the baby, and what it meant to the genre/tropes of the story.

There's an entire subgenre of romance novels that feature pregnancy and life as a new mother - the happy ending payoff in those books is more about finding a wonderful husband and starting your dream family, less about finding an amazing sexual/emotional connection and having adventures. Different readers with different motives. I think (?) this is the first Vaginal Fantasy book that actually had being pregnant and having a baby as part of the plot. At the end, I kind of felt I had been tricked into reading a harlequin monthly like "A New Family For Hunter" with a veneer of aliens.

message 18: by Tiffany (last edited May 05, 2014 08:47AM) (new)

Tiffany From the descriptions Hunter's Claim sounds like the author may have been inspired by Marly Chance's "Shimerian Oath" series published by Ellora's Cave. EC does pretty blush-worthy erotica. The Shimerian series in particular is pretty well written for what is essentially one-handed reading.

message 19: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Joia wrote: "*SPOILERS*

I'd like to hear your take on the baby, and what it meant to the story.

There's an entire subgenre of romance novels that feature pregnancy and life as a new mother - the happy ending..."

No to mention the "secret baby" subgenre!

message 20: by Caryn (new)

Caryn Lix (missrithenay) | 35 comments Just a thought: was I the only one who found the rape more offensive in this book than the last? In Daughter of the Forest rape is explicit and horrifying. In this book it seems like in the absence of society's constraints EVERY SINGLE HUMAN MAN (or should I say male;) is a rapist, and at the beginning of the book Hunter even mentions bring unwilling to trust the other warriors because they've been too long without female companionship or some such. I don't know, even though there wasn't any explicit rape here I just found the assumption that every man on earth is secretly yearning to force himself on a woman really disturbing.

message 21: by Caryn (new)

Caryn Lix (missrithenay) | 35 comments Sorry that should be BEING unwilling. Thank you iPhone.

Jessica | 27 comments I honestly felt like their whole relationship was rapey...it made me feel uncomfortable and her turn around to love felt like the result of emotional abuse.

message 23: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments this is from the author's bio: 'S. E. Smith enjoys the art of writing and being a storyteller who shares love and laughter through her works'.

so let's do a check list
love? doubtable but check
laughter? who didn't laught, may take a sip.

message 24: by Any (new) - rated it 3 stars

Any (zanya) | 9 comments Is anyone going to read the next book? I'm curious to find out what's up with Razor.

message 25: by Haikufall (new) - added it

Haikufall | 74 comments I have read most of the books by this author, this is not her best work. I would ask people to give her other series a read before you judge to hard.

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Any wrote: "Is anyone going to read the next book? I'm curious to find out what's up with Razor."

I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I want to know more about her.

message 27: by Any (new) - rated it 3 stars

Any (zanya) | 9 comments Katie wrote:I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I want to know mor..."

I think I'm going to read it too, I thought she was going to end up with Dagger and then when he "died" I was like WTF? I was glad to see there was another book.

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Any wrote: "Katie wrote:I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I want to know mor..."

I think I'm going to read it too, I thought she was going to end up with Dagger a..."

How the hell did she voodoo magic info on Dagger? I am so like OBSESSED with her character now. I need to know everything about her!

message 29: by Any (new) - rated it 3 stars

Any (zanya) | 9 comments I know that was an interesting twist to the story!! Kept me wanting more for sure.

message 30: by Mariko (last edited May 07, 2014 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mariko True (MarikoTrue) | 32 comments I have a theory that an original draft only had one female main character while in later versions this one character turned into the three sisters: Jesse, Jordan and Taylor. Wouldn’t the “sister" device would make certain similarities explainable?

Mariko True (MarikoTrue) | 32 comments Did anyone think that this book had way too many repeated stories? In my version, (paperback page 139) Jesse explains her family’s backstory to Saber. However, much later (paperback page 215) she explains the same backstory to Hunter. Wouldn’t this subject have come up earlier, and first told to Hunter?

Mariko True (MarikoTrue) | 32 comments Does this series improve with age? I am curious about the direction that the Jordan/Dagger story might take. Should I travel further into this world?

message 33: by Any (new) - rated it 3 stars

Any (zanya) | 9 comments I saw the repetition you're referring to, I'm not sure if the next story goes into Jordan.

PointyEars42 | 476 comments Everyone got their cat ears on and drinking a cream-based cocktail for this hangout?

message 35: by Joia (new)

Joia | 12 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "Everyone got their cat ears on and drinking a cream-based cocktail for this hangout?"

List of cream-based cocktails with recipes: http://mybestcocktails.com/cocktails-.... Look, there's one called The Belmont!

message 36: by Felicia, Grand Duchess (new) - rated it 2 stars

Felicia (feliciaday) | 740 comments Mod
Joia wrote: "PointyEars42 wrote: "Everyone got their cat ears on and drinking a cream-based cocktail for this hangout?"

List of cream-based cocktails with recipes: http://mybestcocktails.com/cocktails-...-..."

HAHA OMG Veronica HAS TO MAKE THIS

Jordan (jordan_lusink) What did you think about the focus on absolute maleness and femaleness in both books? The misogyny and stereotypical male/female roles in Hunter's Claim, and Sienna even making a comment about Legian's "one hundred percent male"-ness in Collision. It seems like there's no thought to any other different ways of identifying, beyond heterosexual typically gender-roled people.

Jordan (jordan_lusink) Caryn wrote: "Just a thought: was I the only one who found the rape more offensive in this book than the last? In Daughter of the Forest rape is explicit and horrifying. In this book it seems like in the absence..."

THIS.

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 45 comments How does the teenage earthling girl locate someone an intergalactic army gave up for dead by only Googling his name and his species?

Amanda Kendall (_pochemuchka_) | 45 comments The real question is whether or not baby Lyon-o will grow up to wield the Sword of Omens.

Kayla | 1 comments Katie wrote: "Any wrote: "Is anyone going to read the next book? I'm curious to find out what's up with Razor."

I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I want to know mor..."

I think I'll still read it but from the synopsis it sounds as though it isn't going to follow Jordan at all. It is about a girl from Chicago and Razor :/

message 42: by Lori (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lori J (silkspectre) | 17 comments I love how this book has accumulated this shared curiosity about the sequel, even though it was pretty terrible. It's like when you know something bad is gonna happen in a movie but you keep watching.

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Kayla wrote: "Katie wrote: "Any wrote: "Is anyone going to read the next book? I'm curious to find out what's up with Razor."

I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I wa..."

gahhhh, what a bummer.. you can't just do voodoo magic and NEVER explain it... maybe another book far down will have Jordan :(

message 44: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments quick question: what do the abbs on the cover have to do with our thunfercat?

message 45: by Any (new) - rated it 3 stars

Any (zanya) | 9 comments Kamil wrote: "quick question: what do the abbs on the cover have to do with our thunfercat?"

i guess it's eye candy in case you get bored reading.

@kayla it is a bummer, wondering if the sequel with razor is better.

message 46: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 938 comments Ok, i really can't hold this in, anylinger, but I envisioned the trivators as a mix of the cheshire cat and vulcans with hairy-palms due to the pom-farr, was i the only one?

message 47: by Kamil (last edited May 10, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

Kamil | 938 comments What do you think of the whole Aliance thingy? I don't think the trivators( gosh, the borgs are more consent-oriented) are following the prime directive, and is that really the best approach to prevent casualities? And how could humanity fall so low when the aliens arrived? The world-building lacks in many departments, but don't you think the basic idea was good?

message 48: by Romina (new)

Romina (rominibeani) | 20 comments Katie wrote: "Any wrote: "Katie wrote:I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I want to know mor..."

I think I'm going to read it too, I thought she was going to end up w..."

Has anyone found the second book? I haven't been able to find it on Kindle or at my local library.

message 49: by Romina (new)

Romina (rominibeani) | 20 comments Heartfelt thanks to the Drinking Game thread for getting my through this rather cringe worthy book (don't get me started on the editing!)...but I did get addicted to the Jordan and Dagger sidestory and have to admit Taylor and Saber are my favs. She's just so dang "cheeky" DRINK! ;)

Katie (ilovebettymcrae) | 36 comments Romina wrote: "Katie wrote: "Any wrote: "Katie wrote:I'm really thinking about reading the next book because Jordan intrigues me and I want to know mor..."

I think I'm going to read it too, I thought she was goi..."

As soon as Kayla informed me that Jordan's plot in the second book was not at all important, I'll admit, I lost all interest.

« previous 1