Evergreen Park Readers discussion

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Bailey | 98 comments If a book can be a piece of art then this book is a song. A beautifully written love letter from a father to a son about his experience as a black "body" in a "those who think they are white" world.

As the dearly lately departed Harper Lee wrote in "To Kill A Mockingbird" "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view […] until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." This love song offers some insight into the world of a black man as Coates challenges his son to not buy into the "Dream" that he has to work twice as hard to be as good. He is perfect as himself.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Wassenaar | 54 comments I really loved reading this book, particularly because of how beautiful the language is. I didn't feel like Coates really answers a lot of the questions he raises though-I didn't get the sense that he really tells his son that he doesn't have to buy into the 'Dream'.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Ehrenhaft | 3 comments I enjoyed this book as well; it was very interesting to read this point of view. I agree with Anna that the questions raised were never answered, but I am not sure that the point was to answer the questions -- I think the point was to make sure that the questions continue to be asked until the answer is found. Or in other words, not to become complacent.