Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Anita - Have you seen this?

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Sounds kind of funny/sad but since its about the 1978 Yankees/Red Sox World Series I thought you might be interested. Doesn't come out until April 5.

message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 24, 2016 06:38AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Books with that kind of vulgarity in the title ought not to be published. (I don't mind so much inside when the vulgarity is appropriate, but if the writer can't use better language as a whole, well, then he can't write worth a lick.)

message 3: by Nicole R (last edited Feb 24, 2016 06:48AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7709 comments Actually, it is not just a random curse word in the title of the book. That is actually the nickname bestowed upon Bucky Dent by the Boston Red Sox. So, in this case, it has an accurate historical context.

And, we all know, Boston people are freaking vulgar! lol.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Nicole wrote: "And, we all know, Boston people are freaking vulgar!"

Do we? I don't think I've ever met someone from Boston. But then I'm on the left coast. People here can be vulgar - heck, I've been known to drop the f-bomb on occasion. I just think if a writer can't acquaint himself with a better vocabulary, he's not worth reading.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Nicole wrote: "And, we all know, Boston people are freaking vulgar!"

I just think if a writer can't acquaint himself with a better vocabulary, he's not worth reading.

I think that's a harsh criticism based on the title alone. I would agree with you that vulgarity for the sake of being vulgar isn't a indication of a good writer and is certainly not that appealing (to me) in books. But as Nicole mentioned, that is how he is known to many people here (I live in the outskirts of Boston). I've heard many people call him that. So to me, I don't see that as an indication that the author is unable to acquaint himself with a better vocabulary. I guess I'd have to read at least part of the book before deciding. Although I'm not that into baseball so I doubt that I'll be reading it.

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7709 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Do we? I don't think I've ever met someone from Boston. ..."

I have lived in almost all areas of the country and abroad and I can honestly say that, in general, Bostonians curse much much more than any other place I have lived!

Perhaps not common knowledge but I think Jen and I could work up a scientific study that would show statistical significance ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Nicole wrote: "Perhaps not common knowledge but I think Jen and I could work up a scientific study that would show statistical significance ;)
"

LOL Ok, local story.

Several years ago, a local woman I knew had her 3 children shoe-shopping in Seattle. She was having a hard time corralling them. It was "get your f'ing ass over here" and "do these f'ing shoes fit?" and lots of that in a somewhat crowded store. A clerk came up to her and said, "Ma'am, are you from Alaska?"

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Several years ago, a local woman I knew had her 3 children shoe-shopping in Seattle. She was having a hard time corralling them. It was "get your f'ing ass over here" and "do these f'ing shoes fit?" and lots of that in a somewhat crowded store. A clerk came up to her and said, "Ma'am, are you from Alaska."

That's funny. I have never heard anything about Alaskans being known for cursing.

I live in the Boston area although I didn't grow up here (I grew up in England and Costa Rica). I rarely curse except to myself when driving on occasion - maybe that's why lots of people in Boston curse, b/c of the terrible driving.

Yesterday my iphone fell all the way down the stairs hitting each hardwood stair fairly hard and I let a "f**" slip out in front of my 5-year old daughter. I had just replaced the screen after a crack. We were having people over to clean the carpets and she ran into the room screaming "daddy, what is f***? What does f*** mean? I was mortified and hopefully she forgot it and is not repeating it all day at preschool today.

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7709 comments I also live in the Boston-ish area and I curse like a sailor! I rarely cursed until I moved out east (originally from the midwest). I do manage to keep it pretty clean at work but I definitely dropped an f*bomb in class the other day. No one even seemed to notice!

I admit that I have trouble reining it in when I am around kids...I am sure parents love me for that! lol.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Nicole wrote: "I also live in the Boston-ish area and I curse like a sailor! I rarely cursed until I moved out east (originally from the midwest). I do manage to keep it pretty clean at work but I definitely drop..."

I curse a lot more since moving from the west to east too.

And I probablh wouldn't care if you cursed in front of my kuds. The only time it bothers me is when its a constant stream. Kids will hear it anyhow. We just tell them its an adult word and move on.

True story, we took the boys out for ice cream. My youngest who couldn't have been more than 4 at the time, decides to loudly declare "Everybody's a jacka$$!" All the other parents are giving us the stinkeye but my husband and I were trying desperately not to giggle.

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Nicole wrote: "I also live in the Boston-ish area and I curse like a sailor! I rarely cursed until I moved out east (originally from the midwest). I do manage to keep it pretty clean at work but I definitely drop..."

Interesting, since I curse more now and I live in the same part of the country as Nicole (perhaps 30ish miles apart, I am guessing, but in different states). I don't like it, though, and it's ironic since I hate to hear it or read it.

message 12: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 24, 2016 10:24AM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole wrote: I have lived in almost all areas of the country and abroad and I can honestly say that, in general, Bostonians curse much much more than any other place I have lived! "

You have not lived in NYC then. I can attest to the fact that we are probably neck and neck with Boston. And F*** is they number one word, used so much I think people just think it's normal.

And yeah everybody called him F******* Bucky Dent, especially in Boston, but I think a lot of Mets fans used that name too, although we are not fans of the Sox either. But we love to see the Yankees lose and because of Bucky they didn't.

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Linda S wrote: "Nicole wrote: I have lived in almost all areas of the country and abroad and I can honestly say that, in general, Bostonians curse much much more than any other place I have lived! "

You have not ..."

I agree, NYC was just as bad. I've lived both places and didn't notice a difference. Coincidentally, last week I read a research paper on the benefits of swearing (I kid you not) turns out it helps with pain tolerance. People who swear a lot have higher pain thresholds :)

@Sara. I guess I swear more than I thought because I don't really consider jackass to be a curse word.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Linda S wrote: "Sounds kind of funny/sad but since its about the 1978 Yankees/Red Sox World Series I thought you might be interested. Doesn't come out until April 5."

Oh thank you, Linda! I haven't seen this at all . . .but definitely will look into it . . .

I'm staying out of the vulgarity debate, lol. However, I wouldn't let a little vulgarity keep me away from anything baseball!

message 15: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Feb 24, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments This is one of the best threads on PBT, lol. I just spent 10-15 minutes laughing. I don't curse often, but if I do, it's usually mild words like damn, hell, or ass, which I'm sure some of you don't even consider curse words, lol. That's usually because of my religion and where I'm from, though. But, I don't mind it if others curse because I'm not going to push my views on someone else. To each their own. I just had to comment because I thought this thread was funny, lol.

Oh, and maybe, I should curse more and user harsher words if it helps with pain tolerance because I'm a wimp.

message 16: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5501 comments I'm a preschool teacher and have worked with children for 39 years. I've never used a curse word in front of children, but I dearly love to use them.

I'm very sensitive to situations in which I can. I don't mind at all if I find them in a book , it just needs to be done in a way that makes sense just as it does in real life.

I teach the children that we don't use those words at school and you really need to talk to your parents to find out if you should use them at all. They are power words and a whole lot of fun to try out but we all need to learn how to use power words effectively.

Many of you may remember the awesome reading that Samuel L Jackson did of Go the Fuck to Sleep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkd0...

message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 24, 2016 06:14PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Booknblues wrote: "Many of you may remember the awesome reading that Samuel L Jackson di"

I absolutely shunned that book. For parents to think they could have a book in the house with words on the cover ...

(but then my younger granddaughter will be 30 later this year, if that give you a clue where I'm coming from.)

message 18: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5501 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I absolutely shunned that book. For parents to think they could have a book in the house with words on the..."

I think it is a bit of a joke because, I suspect that all parents have felt that way at times.

Some things you just have to laugh about.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Booknblues wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I absolutely shunned that book. For parents to think they could have a book in the house with words on the..."

I think it is a bit of a joke because, I suspect that all ..."

It wasn't whether I thought it was funny or not, but that children learn to read eventually. Do you put the book in the trash? (And no, I never thought that about my children, but I hadn't learned to use that word when they were small.)

message 20: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Jen wrote: "@Sara. I guess I swear more than I thought because I don't really consider jackass to be a curse word"

I really don't either. Its like damnit. But apparently all the other parents at the ice cream shop did.

message 21: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 24, 2016 08:48PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Booknblues wrote: "I think it is a bit of a joke because, I suspect that all parents have felt that way at times.

Some things you just have to laugh about. ..."

Totally agree, I thought the book was validation in a way, and who says the F word better than SLJ? I listened to it numerous times and laughed, laughed, laughed.

message 22: by Nicole D. (last edited Feb 24, 2016 11:39PM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1476 comments what is the title? I'm lost

message 23: by Anita (last edited Feb 25, 2016 03:49AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Nicole wrote: "what is the title? I'm lost"

That's weird. Linda had indicated the book in her title (using the this topic is about function), and now it is gone!

Bucky F*cking Dent: A Novel

is the book under discussion.

I edited the title again to put it back, but wonder where it went . . .

message 24: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "Nicole wrote: "what is the title? I'm lost"

That's weird. Linda had indicated the book in her title (using the this topic is about function), and now it is gone!

[book:Bucky F*cking Dent: A Novel..."

I'd like to know too, since I didn't remove it.

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Anita wrote: "Nicole wrote: "what is the title? I'm lost"

[book:Bucky F*cking Dent: A Novel..."

And it is gone again....

message 26: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5639 comments Linda S wrote: "I'd like to know too, since I didn't remove it. ...."

Just put the link in your original post by clicking the edit button and inserting it.

message 27: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments But how is it disappearing? Some kind of profanity filter?

message 28: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 25, 2016 09:23AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) Anita wrote: "But how is it disappearing? Some kind of profanity filter?"

This is very odd. It's hard for me to imagine that GR has that kind of filter - they're pretty liberal in the free speech department.

(and it's gone again)

I don't recall what it looked like before, but I assume you're putting the book in the "What this thread is about" box - or whatever that box is called.

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6926 comments Jen wrote: "Linda S wrote: "Nicole wrote: I have lived in almost all areas of the country and abroad and I can honestly say that, in general, Bostonians curse much much more than any other place I have lived! ..."

Perhaps I should become unfiltered and swear more, then.

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I don't recall what it looked like before, but I assume you're putting the book in the "What this thread is about" box - or whatever that box is called. ."

Linda started the thread, and she put the book in the box that indicates what the topic is about - - so it displayed as a book cover.

This morning, it was gone.

I re-added it.

It disappeared again.

I've now re-added yet AGAIN. I assume no one other than administrators can edit what the topic is about?

Elizabeth (Alaska) Anita wrote: "I've now re-added yet AGAIN. I assume no one other than administrators can edit what the topic is about? "

Correct. (And that's what I thought you were doing, just wanted to verify.)

message 32: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Lol, it's gone again.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Anita wrote: "Lol, it's gone again."

I reported it through the "Contact Us" link. It must be a bug of some sort.

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anita wrote: "Lol, it's gone again."

I reported it through the "Contact Us" link. It must be a bug of some sort."

Oh thank you, Elizabeth! I didn't know one could do that, but I'm super curious what they say . . .

Elizabeth (Alaska) Yes. Bugs can also be reported in the Feedback group, but I thought this was specific to this thread. Not even general to this group, I think. I looked at the one thread here where I have a book linked and it is fine.

message 36: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7709 comments Wouldn't it be hilarious if I were just f*-ing with y'all?!? lol

(calm down, I'm not.)

message 37: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Nicole wrote: "Wouldn't it be hilarious if I were just f*-ing with y'all?!? lol

(calm down, I'm not.)"

I won't lie - - that thought crossed my mind!

message 38: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7709 comments Anita wrote: "I won't lie - - that thought crossed my mind!"

Hahaha!

message 39: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 25, 2016 12:48PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "But how is it disappearing? Some kind of profanity filter?"

What profanity filter could it be - I linked the book to the book here on Goodreads.

message 40: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Linda S wrote: "Anita wrote: "But how is it disappearing? Some kind of profanity filter?"

What profanity filter could it be - I linked the book to the book here on Goodreads."

I know - - it doesn't make any sense, so I'm guessing it must be a bug! But funny it is a bug on the one book with the f-word in the title.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Got a response from support:

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've asked the developers to take a look at it and they'll be working on a fix. When I have any news I'll be sure to let you know!

message 42: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8126 comments Anita wrote: "But how is it disappearing? Some kind of profanity filter?"

That's what I'm wondering...

message 43: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8126 comments Nicole wrote: "Wouldn't it be hilarious if I were just f*-ing with y'all?!? lol

(calm down, I'm not.)"

LOL!

message 44: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8126 comments Linda S wrote: "Anita wrote: "But how is it disappearing? Some kind of profanity filter?"

What profanity filter could it be - I linked the book to the book here on Goodreads."

Yeah, that's the weird part...

Elizabeth (Alaska) I just thought you all would like to know that another member has reported a title not sticking. I don't know what book, but I suspect it's a different one.

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I just thought you all would like to know that another member has reported a title not sticking. I don't know what book, but I suspect it's a different one."

Fascinating!! I wonder what's going on . . .

Elizabeth (Alaska) Anita wrote: "Fascinating!! I wonder what's going on . . . "

Bugs happen. (I'd say s**t happens, but given this thread ...)

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Anita wrote: "Fascinating!! I wonder what's going on . . . "

Bugs happen. (I'd say s**t happens, but given this thread ...)"

Ha ha, lol, yeah . . .we better watch ourselves!