Between the Pages discussion

Lady Midnight > Lady Midnight - General Info

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (last edited Mar 30, 2016 03:24AM) (new)

Caitlin Perry | 64 comments Post all comments or create a general discussion here! Please avoid spoilers and post more specific topics in the weekly folders.

message 2: by Caitlin (last edited Mar 12, 2016 06:08AM) (new)

Caitlin Perry | 64 comments Week One (Mar 28 - Apr 4): Beginning - end of Ch 6
Week Two (Apr 4 - 11): Ch 7 - end of Ch 14
Week Three (Apr 11 - 18): Ch 15 - end of Ch 21
Week Four (Apr 18 - 25): Ch 22 - End

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Perry | 64 comments Is this anyone else's first time reading something by Cassandra Clare? It's mine and I'm wondering if anyone else feels their perception is affected by the hype of the other books and their incredible fan base (for better or worse)?

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Rojem (lrojem) I've read everything of hers except for the Bane Chronicles, the Clockwork Prince series was amazing and the ending made me cry harder than any of my exes. I'm looking forward to starting this new one and seeing how it compares.

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Perry | 64 comments Lindsey wrote: "I've read everything of hers except for the Bane Chronicles, the Clockwork Prince series was amazing and the ending made me cry harder than any of my exes. I'm looking forward to starting this new ..."

That is my point, though, everyone loves her books so much that I'm going in with really high expectations of her writing. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else in the same boat.

message 6: by Jill (new)

Jill (shikhaleandra) Late to this discussion, but since it is your first time reading Clare's novels, Caitlin, I'm interested to see if everything makes sense. I know the author has said she tries to write these so each individual series can stand alone but I'm curious to know if she's succeeded.

The Mortal Instruments' main character is a girl who knows nothing about Shadowhunters, so the reader gets to learn along with that character. Whereas in Lady Midnight, the main characters grew up as Shadowhunters and know about downworlder's and all that jazz. So is Lady Midnight confusing in that regard to you? In the library, could I recommend Lady Midnight to a person who has not read any other of her books and have that person understand the world/what's going on?

I'm in the same boat as Lindsey. I've read the Mortal Instruments, the Infernal Devices and the Bane Chronicles. I haven't yet read the Shadowhunter's Codex or Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy. I also highly recommend the Infernal Devices! The feels! So good... My favorite of her series.

message 7: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Perry | 64 comments Jill wrote: "Late to this discussion, but since it is your first time reading Clare's novels, Caitlin, I'm interested to see if everything makes sense. I know the author has said she tries to write these so eac..."

In general I'll reserve my final judgment until I'm finished in regards to if you could recommend Lady Midnight to a first time Clare reader, just in case something totally confusing happens, but so far I feel Clare has done a good job of explaining what I need to know without it being an information dump and I haven't felt lost. I don't know everything that's happened in the past, but I know what is relevant to these characters. If anything it would be a major spoiler alert, which I was prepared for going in, since it does reference past characters and stories.

message 8: by Caitlin (last edited Apr 25, 2016 02:25AM) (new)

Caitlin Perry | 64 comments Jill wrote: "Late to this discussion, but since it is your first time reading Clare's novels, Caitlin, I'm interested to see if everything makes sense. I know the author has said she tries to write these so eac..."

Having finished the book I can say that Clare does a fine job of explaining things as we go, so a person could feasibly read this as their first Clare book and not be totally lost. That being said, the author does have a recommended reading order that may be better to follow if able: http://www.cassandraclare.com/faq/wha...

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill (shikhaleandra) Wonderful! Like I said, I mostly wanted to know for reader's advisory type services at the library.