Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Ancient Christian Gospels: Their History and Development
This topic is about Ancient Christian Gospels
Book Issues > Trouble adding a new edition

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments I have the first edition of this book, Trinity Press International, 1990. I have tried adding it, but am running into a problem. The system tells me that the ISBN (10) is taken (by the second edition, 1992). Can this happen? If so, should I just enter the first edition without an ISBN?
Another issue: the author, who died this January, is from Germany, but spent his entire academic career in the U.S., at Harvard. When he published in German, he used the name Köster, but in English, Koester. Is there a way to deal with this on GR? I didn't find most of his books at first, since they are credited to Köster (a couple of others are credited to Koester, though).

message 2: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Henry wrote: "Can this happen? If so, should I just enter the first edition without an ISBN?"

Yes, this can and does happen. If your first edition has a cover that is different from the second, then yes, create a new record w/ your edition-specific publication info and cover. Leave the ISBN fields blank, and instead, add a note to the description field that this edition is an alternate cover edition of ISBN [blah].

Henry wrote: "Another issue: the author, who died this January, is from Germany, but spent his entire academic career in the U.S., at Harvard. When he published in German, he used the name Köster, but in English, Koester. Is there a way to deal with this on GR? "

Yes. Goodreads rules for pen names in multiple languages are a little...involved. But the general idea is that for authors who publish in English as well as other languages, the English (Roman) spelling is used as the primary author on all books that were published in English. The German spelling is added as a secondary author. Books that were only ever published in German get only the German spelling as the primary author, no English name. Additionally, but the English and German author profiles should contain explanatory links to the other, although this relies on librarians doing it manually, so these links are often absent.

Any other librarians more comfortable with this issue should feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong, incidentally. I'm always fuzzy on this stuff...

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13576 comments Z-squared wrote: "Books that were only ever published in German get only the German spelling as the primary author, no English name."

*All* the books by an author who is published in English get the English name as primary author, not just the ones that were translated.

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments Thanks to both Z-squared and lethe for your replies. I will create an ACE.
Lethe, since you didn't mention that you would change all the English-language Kösters to Koester, I'm assuming I should look them all up and post them in a new comment. Happy to do so.

message 5: by lethe (last edited Feb 26, 2016 12:17AM) (new)

lethe | 13576 comments No, I was just drive-by commenting :)
I keep forgetting that you're a GR author, not a librarian, and cannot change it yourself. But I am working on a couple of Russian authors that need to have their English names added, so I'll gladly leave Köster to someone else.

I don't think it's necessary to list all the books though, just the links to both profiles with the explanation that the books all need Koester added as primary author ( you can also link to this thread).

message 6: by Arenda (last edited Feb 26, 2016 04:50AM) (new)

Arenda | 19920 comments Henry wrote: "since you didn't mention that you would change all the English-language Kösters to Koester, I'm assuming I should look them all up and post them in a new comment."

No need to start a new thread.

Working on it... Someone had already entered Koester as primary author for all editions.

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments lethe wrote: "No, I was just drive-by commenting :)
I keep forgetting that you're a GR author, not a librarian, and cannot change it yourself. But I am working on a couple of Russian authors that need to have th..."

Lethe, I'm honored that you mistook me for a librarian. Have requested the status a couple of times, but it never happened. But perhaps it's enough that I'm a GR author. Whenever I spot things and report them, you librarians are fantastic at getting them straightened out.

Henry Sturcke | 405 comments Arenda wrote: "Henry wrote: "since you didn't mention that you would change all the English-language Kösters to Koester, I'm assuming I should look them all up and post them in a new comment."

No need to start a..."

Thanks Arenda!